Coral Branch Distintegrating!!!

• SRC Member

I just noticed that the a branch that is holding my coral is slowing breaking up!!!! Bit by bit its falling off and now a significant "lobang" can be seen. The soft tissues of the coral looks well and still fully opens up.

A pic below:

Any idea whats happening? I have been "on the ball" with all the supplements - kalk, reef plus, reef buffer etc?

By the way, is the hard branch part of the coral?

post-6-1036392921.jpg

• SRC Member

From the photo, I think the coral is a branching torch coral, right? Euphyllia spp corals do not have tissue covering the whole branch, if there is no living tissue affected then it should be fine. Whatever is making that hole is helping to frag the coral, this happens regularly in the wild when boring sponges or animals break off branches by their activity and growth.

Observe it for a while and see if the coral is affected, if it is then you might have to frag of the living part, if not, then let nature take its cause.

A clearer picture will be greatly appreciated! :huh:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Sorry for the lousy pic, was trying to get the shot possible but guess still not good enough. BTW, on the techniques of using a digital camera will be my next topic. Never seem to be able to take a clear pic of my fishes. Alway having the "ghost image" effect. They don't stay still and say "cheese" do they?

On my coral -

I have yet seen anything giving a go at it so far. Unless its the crab during lights off time at night. I only see fragments of coral right below the breakage point, like that they are just falling off. I have three branches and this is the only one so far.

Do you think it will die off if it should break off on day?

“The pursuit of the atheist is futile. To deny God’s existence already implies that He exists.”

As long as u dun break it at the "jelly" area...it wun die....u can juz go ahead and break it at the branches (this is how ya coral came about...i.e from a bigger branch in the wild) n like HQ sd...put it in a good spot n it will survive. :)

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now