Calcium Reator's Effluent

Ekia

• SRC Member

What is supposed to be the calcium/alkalinity of the effluent? I was told that it should have a Ca of 600ppm and kH of 50. Just measured my effluent and it says Ca 580ppm, kh 25. Will it cause my tank to be imbalance?

Any tips on how to tune the reactor? Trying to follow the instructions from Reefkeeping.com

Is it the right and good way to tune the reactor? Just tested the pH of my effluent. It shows 6.3. The bubble count is 1 bubble per 4-5 secs. Effluent flowrate is 1 drop per sec. Am I right to increase the effluent's flowrate to increase the pH to 6.5-6.7?

Anyway, I increased the effluent flowrate to about 3 drop per 2 sec. Seems that the bubble count drop to about 1 bubble per 7-8 sec. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

• SRC Member

Thanks Lightningstrike. Read on most articles and they recommend 6.5-6.7. They didn't state what kind of media though.

Thanks Weileong too. I have achieved 6.4 after increasing the effluent flowrate. Where did you find the recommended effluent ph of 6.2-6.4? I can't seem to find it on the net. Most of the info that I find tells me to set dkh 30-40 rather than the pH.

Just tested my effluent.

pH - 6.4

Ca- 580ppm

kH- 30

Does that sound alright?

weileong: you are using rowalith too? Can share your observations?

There is no one fixed value for the parimeters

Non of our tanks are exactly alike so the values given are just guide lines for you to tune the CR to your tank needs.

You may have a effluent dKH of 30 and it maintains for your tank, while another reefer requires a dKH of 45.

As long as your tank can maintain the KH ~ 9 - 11, Ca ~ 420, Mg ~ 1300 stick to our CR settings.

Once you find the depletion rate = injection rate then you can set and forget abt your R until the media starts dropping a few inches. BUT check your effluent lines are not clogged from time to time

• SRC Member

There is no one fixed value for the parimeters

Non of our tanks are exactly alike so the values given are just guide lines for you to tune the CR to your tank needs.

You may have a effluent dKH of 30 and it maintains for your tank, while another reefer requires a dKH of 45.

As long as your tank can maintain the KH ~ 9 - 11, Ca ~ 420, Mg ~ 1300 stick to our CR settings.

Once you find the depletion rate = injection rate then you can set and forget abt your R until the media starts dropping a few inches. BUT check your effluent lines are not clogged from time to time

If i'm not wrong, the effluent's pH is very imortant right?

If i'm not wrong, the effluent's pH is very imortant right?

From my experience, the effluent PH will vary with the dKh and Ca of the effluent.

If U raise yr PH, the you'll get less dKh, and Ca.

IMO: Best to get the tank depletion rate = CR injection rate. Effluent PH can be counted via other methods.

As most CR will have a low effluent reading of 6.8- 6.4 ** average

Reefer's tend to let the effluent drip:

(1) into a high flow area

(2) into the skimmer

(3) some even make a effluent collecting device that helps to release the excess

CO2 before mixing into the tank water

(4) Some just let it drip directly into the tank water. They wither add kalk via a

reactor or manually drip.