Tick tick sound from my tank

• SRC Member

Sometimes I keep hearing "tick tick" sound from my tank.

I did a physical check I don't see any cracks (touch wood) or physical damage. My tank is 3 X 1.5 x 1.5 with 8mm glass all round.

What could cause this? Some hitchhiker (crab?) If its a hitchhiker, how do I catch it?

Anyone have this occurance before?

I have 2 flame angels, 3 firefish, 2 boxers, 1 mandarin in my tank now.

Please help :(

• SRC Member
Sometimes I keep hearing "tick tick" sound from my tank.

I did a physical check I don't see any cracks (touch wood) or physical damage. My tank is 3 X 1.5 x 1.5 with 8mm glass all round.

What could cause this? Some hitchhiker (crab?) If its a hitchhiker, how do I catch it?

Anyone have this occurance before?

I have 2 flame angels, 3 firefish, 2 boxers, 1 mandarin in my tank now.

Please help :(

manis or pistol shrimp.....

good luck bro....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

Chances are its a mantis shrimp bro...

Most people would recommend removing it.

I keep on hearing that sound too.

They are very hardy creatures so chances are you will probably have to remove the suspected rock ( They ususally hide within a particular rock ) and try to flush out the mantis shrimp.

• SRC Member

hi .. mine too have ...

i have a few tubro snails to keep aglae at bay ... wat is the treat if it is a mantis shrimp... so far none of my fishes have die or went missing .. could it be mantis shrimp or just the snails turning their sheel :D

• SRC Member
Chances are its a mantis shrimp bro...

Most people would recommend removing it.

I keep on hearing that sound too.

They are very hardy creatures so chances are you will probably have to remove the suspected rock ( They ususally hide within a particular rock ) and try to flush out the mantis shrimp.

Mantis?? Think over the weekend I need to locate the source of the sound and just take out the LR.

thanks.

Sure its not crabs? I have a few 'survivors' who somehow manage to make it thru the NNR cycle and was too difficult to remove them so I just let them be.

My boxer shrimps are still alive and they look okie to me... do they fight with mantis?

• SRC Member

Mantis?? Think over the weekend I need to locate the source of the sound and just take out the LR.

thanks.

Sure its not crabs? I have a few 'survivors' who somehow manage to make it thru the NNR cycle and was too difficult to remove them so I just let them be.

My boxer shrimps are still alive and they look okie to me... do they fight with mantis?

they dun fight with mantis....

the mantis just clobber them into pieces and eat them later.

• SRC Member

Then my boxers have been in my tank for 3 weeks and they are okie leh.. so does it mean its just some mysterious snail making all that din? :(

either that... or the mantis too small...

• SRC Member

if you notice that your crab population decreases over time, then its probably a mantis.

even if its really a mantis, but ur crab population remains the same, then the size is probably harmless. but do avoid adding really small invertebrates like ###### shrimps etc.

;)

• SRC Member

How abt trying this out: put a market prawn, (small piece will do) in a chicken essence bottle near the rock where you think you hear the click sounds. Usually, the bugger will come out to smell the prawn. Then you will be able to identify the creature causing the noise. If it still dun come out, try leaving it over the night.

Note: if your prawn disappears, you MAY have a piston shrimp (that happens to me) or a mantis shrimp (bad situation). They are good at stealing baits from traps. Or you may just end up catching some crabs. :lol::lol:

Good luck! :D

• SRC Member
How abt trying this out: put a market prawn, (small piece will do) in a chicken essence bottle near the rock where you think you hear the click sounds. Usually, the bugger will come out to smell the prawn. Then you will be able to identify the creature causing the noise. If it still dun come out, try leaving it over the night.

Note: if your prawn disappears, you MAY have a piston shrimp (that happens to me) or a mantis shrimp (bad situation). They are good at stealing baits from traps. Or you may just end up catching some crabs. :lol::lol:

Good luck! :D

Hmm.. I think I'll set the trap tonite.. recently noticed that my firegobies have torn fins.... :(:(:(

If not this weekend have to do some major uplifing work.... :angry::angry::angry:

• SRC Member

yeah i also get this sound once in a while... but no livestock has disappeared for over six months... don't think there's a mantis in my tank either.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".