Vinceire's new 3x2x2.5 partition tank

Vinceire

Some pics of the 250W MH from Horizon Venture.

Was conptemplating between getting from Dr Evil or from HorizonV as both supplied value for money/quality lightings.

However, due to very very tight budget, I decided to get the lights from Ben as he made me an offer I cannot resist. :P

Bro Evil: No hard feeling pls..wanted to get from you but budget was very tight! :paiseh:

Anyway. here's some pics of the lights

post-34-1107969589.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "special compartment" that I request to be made. :D

Basically it is just a recess area on top of the side cabinet to put all the MH ballast/T5 ballast and Tunze driver box.

Main objective is to keep all unsightly items out of view and also for safety reason (Got 2 kids, so have to ensure that all wiring and ballast (hot) is out of reach) :whistle

post-34-1107970284.jpg

Now to the details of the side cabinet. :D

The side cabinet was made with the intention of housing the CR/Chiller and any other possible equipment in the future.

Therefore, to avoid regretting not making the space bigger, I did an intensive search on all possible equipments and their dimension and to take the biggest dimension as the size for the cabinent. :D

To avoid heat buildup in the chiller compartment which will reduce chiller efficiency, I have requested tank maker to installed 2 fans to blow out the hot air.

Also, the chiller compartment is design such that the compartment is very tall (36") so that sufficient ventilation together with the fans will reduce heat buildup.

Air is drawn from the ventilation lourves on the door. :rolleyes:

Last thing to note is that there are connecting holes in every compartment including ballast area to allowing running of hoses, cables etc to provide maximum flexibility! :idea:

post-34-1107971127.jpg

The chiller compartment that can accommodate the biggest chiller possible. :D

2 Fans to output hot air from chiller. ( 1 fan for cooler day, 2 fans for mid year season :evil: ). Might considered hooking up 1 of the fan to a thermostat that will auto run once certain temp is reach.. :idea:

post-34-1107971335.jpg

The Calcium Reactor compartment. :D

Will be housing my Korallin C1501 in here. Have also requested Tank maker to install adjustable shelf on top portion so that the space above can be used to store test kits/food/supplement etc.

This compartment can also be used to house other eqpt like FR/ Skimmer etc.

The plank will have no problem holding the weight from the CO2 tank and reactor as it is made from 1/2 inch solid plywood that is secured firmly on all side. :D

The holes are made to accommodate future pipings that may be installed for other equipments. (Planning for future) :idea:

post-34-1107971648.jpg

Top view of the MH and hood. :D

One thing I must comment is that the hood is very nicely done and really up to my expectation! All thanks to Tank maker. :thanks:

bro,

noticed that ur MH is mounted on a plank which in turn is supported by 2 hinges for easy accessibility. seems somewhat risky as the metal hinges might rust, hv u consider coating the hinges with anti-rust paint, etc?

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

The side profile of the tank. :lol:

As depth of tank is 2.5ft which is quite tall, I have request for the hood to have 2 opening with stainless steel holders so that I will have no problem cleaning both sides of the tank as it will be a 3 side view. :D

I have also requested for doors (both sides) to be installed on all compartment with the expectional of the tank cabinet as tank maker advise against doing so as structure will be weaker if there are doors on both side.

The purpose of having so many doors is to allow easy access from any side and also that the cabinet can be reused for future re-location. :idea:

post-34-1107972278.jpg

Hi Bro LS,

The hinges should be okay as they are installed facing up away from the water.

Another thing is that the hood is 14" inches tall which should reduce chances of the hinges getting rusted.

Any way. will apply something to protect it against rust just in case. :D

Btw, how's your new setup coming?

That's all for tonite bros!!

Will update again once I start the next phase which will be the preparation of the RO/DI water from my newly purchased AquaFx barracuda. Currently waiting for my Aquatech Booster pump to be delivered from US so that the water wastage will be min.

Current waste ratio is about 1L to 4.5L as staying in high floor. (Water pressure only 30PSI, requires 40PSI and above to optimized permeation of the membrane)

:(

Will update on my AquaFX thread once I received the booster pump :lol:

Bro Ancelot: No choice. Have to be sensitive to my wife so that min grumbiling will come from her to make the hobby more enjoyable. If you know wat I mean :eyebrow:

Stay Tune Bros! Aquascaping will be next update that will be posted!

Will be taking things slowly as can only afford to squeeze out 1hr from each day. Need to balance work, family and of course time for my 2 precious daughter! :look:

Hi Bro LS,

The hinges should be okay as they are installed facing up away from the water.

Another thing is that the hood is 14" inches tall which should reduce chances of the hinges getting rusted.

Any way. will apply something to protect it against rust just in case. :D

Btw, how's your new setup coming?

yo bro, prevention is better than cure. ;) dun wanna hv a situation where ur MH is in the water right? :)

actually it is still my same old tank with some new toys. will post in due time. :P let's not veer :off:, looking forward to seeing more pics in this thread.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

One more..

Hey hey Looks like a larger version of my tank :lol: the "American bird house look" :yeah::yeah:

Great tank!!! All equipment concealled and all u have is a clean looking tank

** All the hinges no matter where they're mounted will rust... speaking from experience here.. my hinges all rusted after 1yr.... <_< So better coat them with anti rust now

• 1 month later...

Yo bros! :lol:

Finally got time to continue my updates on my tank. Was so busy for past few weeks as away for biz trips that I did not had any chance to do anything to my tank.. :huh:

Anway, there were also a couple of unforeseen delays to the new tank project ie. issue with low water pressure when using RO/DI unit http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...15entry371627

So decided to put on hold so as not to waste too much water.

Also, there were some time delayed (must wait after CNY) as I was waiting for tankmaker to send me the replacement tank and sump due to some scratches and chips found on the first one. Gerald's service is really excellant as he personally offered to replace both tanks when he saw the scratches. Such professionalism and after sales service commitiment is so hard to find nowsadays.. :bow:

Okay back to the project...the next step was actually filling the tank with RO/DI water which was accomplished easily with the help of the booster pump. As for the rockscape, it took me couple of days surfing both SGreef and RC before I decided to go for the "Two Towers" design as mine is a 3 side view. :D

With this design, I will be able to create more "virtual space" for my fishes to swim in rather than the left to right and back pattern in my current 4ft. I can also utilized both cliff wall that is created to line SPS esp monti cap as in most's cliff design. :D

A rough sketch of how the rockscape will look like.

However, I realize that for me to achieve "The Two Tower" look, I need to build a very steep rockwork as my length is only 3ft. :pinch: Including the width of the overflow box that was located in the middle, I actually have very limited space for the rockscape as the "2 tower" was generally used in 4ft to 6 ft tanks..

After much thinking and browsing of available LR in the LFS, I decided to make a LR rack that will help me to stabilize the rock pile to achieve the main tower... :whistle

The rack is quite tall and will reach the top of the tank whereby some flat LR can be placed to create plateu to place SPS.

post-34-1111766813.jpg

In order to secure the LR rack, I went to hunt for 3 big pcs of LR each almost about 5KG to be place as base rock so that the steep cliff will be very stable.

Lucky for me, I was able to grap them at a very good deal of only $3/kg at AquaM**** on CNY eve as they were clearing everything to go for a long break during New Year :yeah:

Pics of the rockscaping with LR rack.

Any comments will be appreciated! :thanks:

post-34-1111767140.jpg