Filter media

You mean filter wool?

I guess any brand would do but I think the JBL brand is the best in the market... it's rather fine.

There are many made-in-china filter wool but they are not as fine...ie. very small particles will go through.

I guess if you are on a budget, you can always reuse by washing.

• SRC Member

i have tried using those stuff that ppl used to make cushions as filter wool.. coz that time, suddenly ran out of it when i was doing some filter media change... :P work just fine too.. and it is cheap..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
i have tried using those stuff that ppl used to make cushions as filter wool.. coz that time, suddenly ran out of it when i was doing some filter media change... :P work just fine too.. and it is cheap..

I think you are refering to sponge rite?? i think it would be a very good biological filter media...

• SRC Member

nope.. it is something that is wool like.. and it comes in big sheets.. they use it for first layer or something like that..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
Very funny Kelvin :P

Dun 4get to stock up on filter media...if not the next time, u prob use ya old curtains...or ya grandma's knit' sweater :lol:

Juz KiDD'n

nah.. i will try to kidnap u and use u as the media..

• SRC Member

bio-sponge then wool(mech. filtration to trap debris) then bio-balls(also can go at the end),ceramic & coral chips(bio-filtration) & optional carbon(chemical fitration). & protein skimmer somewhere in there(removing dissolved organics).

Just the basics of the media.- lots of other options u can play wif.

adding macro-algae/mangroves in a refugium(if u have space)