How BIG a skimmer do I really need?

riot

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyway for the benefit of people who wants to get good skimmers, i think the following (in no particular order) from Germany are good.

1) Schuran

2) Grotech

3) Deltec

4) H&S

How come you suddenly add in deltec?

See what you commented earlier on :P

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...30entry327956

Have to make my stand clear again.

I dont downplay H&S, in fact I believe it is on par with deltec as they are similar skimmer but David Saxby from deltec thinks otherwise.

• SRC Member

haiya.. let it be... talk so much.. also like that.. end of day.. your tank got problem u know yourself only...

show off so much also like that.. my tank ok can already...

even AlfaRomeo fav forum also never talk on his fav deltec... all his "frens" in zeovit forum only talking on BK...

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360

• SRC Member
talk about german skimmers and no Aquamedic mentioned?

Paging for IanJ IanJ IanJ  :lol:

I respect the Turboflotor 5000 twin ....it's twin turbo and standing at 72inches tall  :yeah:

forget about the baby... :P

Cool! Wanted to ask about the ht but saw it... 72 inch!!!!! wow!

juz my 2 cents,

why be so bothered as to in which brand is the best to go after for in terms of skimmers? as long as u r happy with the performance, who cares? work within ur budget, spend wisely and be happy abt it. end of the day, it is ur monies and it is ur tank.

btw, i m using a locally produced skimmer by cookiemunster. ;)

no flames intended to anyone, in any way. :peace:

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

juz my 2 cents,

why be so bothered as to in which brand is the best to go after for in terms of skimmers? as long as u r happy with the performance, who cares? work within ur budget, spend wisely and be happy abt it. end of the day, it is ur monies and it is ur tank.

btw, i m using a locally produced skimmer by cookiemunster. ;)

no flames intended to anyone, in any way. :peace:

that's right :P

Why people care so much abt brands of skimmer?

I think before this whole thread blow out of proportion, better go read from the 1st post, it's abt Riot wanting to upgrade his H&S skimmer and finally he found a much better deal in deltec that's all.

• SRC Member

I think before this whole thread blow out of proportion, better go read from the 1st post, it's abt Riot wanting to upgrade his H&S skimmer and finally he found a much better deal in deltec that's all.

ya lor.. that's why I say ma.. it's your tank...

end of the day u happy can already..

got nothing to show off..... :lol:

in short, no matter what brand, better to have a skimmer that gives you the performance you want and for most reefers, the desired very low residual nutrient level after skimming.

than a brand X,Y,Z skimmer, shimmering in gold, that gives you the "i-have-it-feel-good factor" but still leaves you with residual nutrient problems that you still have to think of ways to solve it :D I see many falling into this marketing/branding trap. No doubt the brand is good and quality is good, but the amount that they pay can only buy a skimmer from the range that is still underpowered for their own context of use.

but if you have a shimmering in gold skimmer that gives you the desired performance, why not...have the best of both worlds, looks great and works great :D but generally by the time u get this skimmer, it's really burning the pockets especially for those with larger tanks and high load tanks.

ya loh.. skimmer work for you ok liao.... work for you means keep everything at allmost perfect lvl or at lvl that is acceptable by you... be it PO4, NO3 or wadeva...

weird I notice singaporean very mindful of branding.. Any popular brand means can stand out in front of frens and show off... same goes for LV bags ;);)

Anyway a damn good brand skimmer is expensive thus one may not be able to afford the biggest model... but the same money can be used to buy some huge or should i say gigantic DIY beckett like bro roidan's one.. so which one is better.. the smaller but more popular brand skimmer or the giant DIY beckett ;);)

think abt it ;);)

• SRC Member

wow. Thats alot of posts in my little thread.

Thanks for all the inputs guys. Just to answer some PMs.

If all things equal (price & skimming), I will for sure go for HS. Why? Coz I love the hard core bracing they put on their 1260s equipped skimmers. It has worked very well for me, and if you look at the first section of the thread, they were my preferred brand of choice.

Why did I pick deltec then? It has nothing to do with the hype (what hype?). The fact that its cheaper than HS, with similar performance. Plus the fact that I presume that because it looks smiliar to the HS, it should be equally easy to tune. Now, I have heard that the BKs are a bit tough to dial in. This is especially so since I am not mechanically trained and cant handle a power drill for nuts. I dont think I can make the BK skim to its fullest potential. Besides, I needed something a bit taller so the putput and drape over the side of my sump. Enough said. :)

And I agree with the earlier posts- as long as the skimmer fits your requirement, thats it. Some perfer becks, some weipros and macros. Each has their own priorities in life, some have more kaching, some got kids (and mistresses :heh:) so as long as it works for you, who cares? I think its even more impressive if you could run a full fledge reef without hi tech equipment- thats just you and you alone that matters. Thats why Danano is up there, coz his nano was run without Calcium Reactor, Kalk Reactor, Fluyidized reactor, just simple T5s, an old remora and a whole lot of tender loving care. Its the effort that makes the reefer, not the equipment. Hi tech toys are for the incompetent fellas like me who needs the support they provide. :)

Hope this helps.

Happy Reefing!

wah..dispar...dun bring me into the picture lah :lol:

our skimmers no brand stickers one....even if got, like your reef maniac, how to fight with deltec sticker...BBK sticker and so on? :lol:

Better be quiet and enjoy our tanks and watch the branding loyalty in here :P

ya, riot is right, dun get overwelmed with our equipment debate and loyalty...end up we get lost in the equipment and forgot about what our human touch can and has achieved in our systems :)

• SRC Member

How come you suddenly add in deltec?

See what you commented earlier on :P

Have to make my stand clear again.

I dont downplay H&S, in fact I believe it is on par with deltec as they are similar skimmer but David Saxby from deltec thinks otherwise.

Aiya you huh..... if SCR have debate must surely send you there.... ;) but your argument is sometimes quite out of context eg..i never insisted H&S better, just want to point an important fact that there is a price to pay for good skimmer, good support services.

My posting is with good intentions....there are quite a few good skimmers around - see my post, i put Germany skimmers, there can be skimmers from elsewhere too.....why i put the 3 brands is because deltecs (like you said it) is similar so is euro reef, all similar variants of the German needle-wheel type skimmers, no need to put so many lah....

Branding is good (provided the product serves its function) as it will help both users and manufacturers. In the case of Singapore, with good brands (good skimmers) around, should we believe in that product then it makes sense to support it since, in the end, the continuous improvements, support services are important things we should get from that brand of skimmers.

No one does work for free...if we leave it to the guys to do the skimmers, then with that exceptional performance comes a brand, that we will seek for in our aquariums, thus one can leave it to the experts pay them to do it (that includes the whole chain - designers, manufacturing, fabricators, distributors, support servicers) or if you have the time and knowledge like roidan, it is interesting to do up one that can meet your own specs.

So it is important to make a careful and wise decision...not just at the point of sales.

Eg. Schuran, a very good skimmer, but the support & services are just not there.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Ok GONG XI FA CAI to all, may we reap in many benefits from our own spectrum of work(s) businesses etc so that we can buy more and better skimmers :lol: Blessings be unto all !!!

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

From your post in

You mentioned

ermmm.....did some personal research on my own (dun ask me on the basis)...my belief is that 3 brands of skimmer out there which is worthy for the aquarium hobby (at least for mine) in maintaining good water quality are Schuran, Grotech and H&S.

So now I know, you meant that all germany needlewheel including the US Euro-Reef are worthy to be use in our aquarium. Perhaps with my poor enginsh I could not understand what you meant.

You said the 3 brands (Schuran, Grotech and H&S) that you listed down are all needlewheel and you actually meant that this includes all german needlewheel skimmers and similar variants like the US Euro-Reef. But I didn't know that Schuran produced a needlewheel type skimmer, Schuran skimmers uses the aqua-flotor principle similar to the venturi. Didn't know where you did your research. :eyeblur::eyeblur::eyeblur:

:off: Its time for reunion dinner liao. Here's wishing all....

Gong Xi Fa Cai

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Never said Schuran is needle wheel, it utilises their own injector plus flotor principle.

Never in my sentencing did it ever infer that all are needle-wheels - where you get that thought :blink:

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Ok have an enjoyable evening (will leave this argument thingy - you win i lose) - have a blessed CNY

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Hi all.

Thanks very much for the wonderful advice and exciting exchange. It had been great fun reading this thread and knowing that a heck of lot of people tuned in to this issue. Will keep you all updated when the deltec arrives. Thanks once again to all the help.

Wishing all who posted in my little thread the only thing red that you receive is Ang Pows, not cyano ;) A Happy and Propserous Chinese New Year!!!

Never said Schuran is needle wheel, it utilises their own injector plus flotor principle.

Never in my sentencing did it ever infer that all are needle-wheels - where you get that thought :blink:

Oh so this sentence

My posting is with good intentions....there are quite a few good skimmers around - see my post, i put Germany skimmers, there can be skimmers from elsewhere too.....why i put the 3 brands is because deltecs (like you said it) is similar so is euro reef, all similar variants of the German needle-wheel type skimmers, no need to put so many lah....

means only the following skimmer are worthy of usage in the aquarium.

1. Germany made skimmers.

2. German needle-wheel and their variants.

3. Good skimmers from other places.

I see, so it is my poor command of English that caused the misunderstanding. No need to post something that say you win I loose or you loose I win :P

From 3 brands of choice end it it becomes all good skimmers are worthy of use the aquarium :bow::bow::bow:

Okie no point wasting my saliva when the opinion can changed so suddenly within a few weeks :shock::shock::shock:

Tomorrow is CNY so let's enjoy ourselves :P