7th Feb - 13th Feb 2005 LFS Stocks Update

Lelong Price due to CNY closure is around $30 for the stronger coloured ones to $25 for the-not-so-coloured-ones.

If you like you can bring your own LED torchlight... their holding tank is not meant for SPS so the MH lights there is weak and no skimmer.

Like I said.. they are in the business of export. ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Lelong Price due to CNY closure is around $30 for the stronger coloured ones to $25 for the-not-so-coloured-ones.

If you like you can bring your own LED torchlight... their holding tank is not meant for SPS so the MH lights there is weak and no skimmer.

Like I said.. they are in the business of export. ;)

All SPS freaks, Chiong!!!!

• SRC Member
(dfstan @ Feb 7 2005, 11:21 PM)

CF got many flame angels.

Got 1 mated pair somemore

the price of flame is ridiculous in CF. likewise for true percula!

not ridiculous lah..... Cf fishes always very healthy and eating already... you are paying for some healthy fishes and i believe its better than buying from some place with not so good holding area and the fish are not in tip top condition as those in CF

I agree about their fishes quality but will you pay $50+ for 1 flame or $180 for a pair of true percula? somehow i'm wondering if they are trying to raise the prices due to supply shortage. having said that, they are into export biz and not hobbist thus i guess their prices are based on export prices.

I agree about their fishes quality but will you pay $50+ for 1 flame or $180 for a pair of true percula? somehow i'm wondering if they are trying to raise the prices due to supply shortage. having said that, they are into export biz and not hobbist thus i guess their prices are based on export prices.

You are comparing the price with other LFS that do not even quarantine their LS.

You already agree that CF LS are better quality.

Not only are they better, they are also eating and quarantine.

CF is mainly into export business and even if they shut their doors and not entertain us, they will still survive. We should feel lucky that they bother to enterain us.

If you feel the prices are too high for the LS then can buy from other places that the prices are more suitable for you.

Definately they are not raising their prices because of shortage of supply :P

a little off topic....but I guess if you have ever got the chance to visit the quarantine section in CF...you'll realise that they run multiple 'big' UV units when their fishes first arrive. From there, they will aclimatised the fishes in very clean tanks and feed them pellets from day 1. They will normallly bring out the fishes for sales when most are eating. (Cant say 100% of the fishes, I have tested on some MI before and they will still too shy to eat)

Guess end of the day...it really depends on hobbyists' demands for the quality of the fishes. Bought a black tang from them despite being offered cheaper price ($70 lower) elsewhere.....simple reason..the chance of it making it is much much higher ;)

BTW....actually...most old timer will realise....retail is just an extra service they have extended to us only recent couple of years...(we are really not their main source of income at all.....not even a sig. fraction) Their main focus were on the import/export side and not retail at all. So that's why they never had the need to be competitive with the LFS in the local market.

Hi all, I went to CF yesterday, it was my first time there. My view is also that their fish are over priced. It is true that most of the fish are already stable and eating. But I have also found fish in the more established LFS in the same, or even better condition and sold at 30-50% cheaper.

But I must say that they do carry some fish that are not commonly found in other LFS. For these, I wouldn't mind paying the higher price.

My purpose of stating the first point is so that newbies like me don't get the wrong impression that only CF has good quarantined fish. There are other good LFS out there as well.

Anyway, at the end of the day, it's up to the individual. If think the fish is worth that price, then buy it. Travelling around looking for the best price and quality takes time and effort. Must consider these opportunity costs as well.

Cheers

You are comparing the price with other LFS that do not even quarantine their LS.

You already agree that CF LS are better quality.

Not only are they better, they are also eating and quarantine.

CF is mainly into export business and even if they shut their doors and not entertain us, they will still survive. We should feel lucky that they bother to enterain us.

If you feel the prices are too high for the LS then can buy from other places that the prices are more suitable for you.

Definately they are not raising their prices because of shortage of supply :P

ya.... in fact very healthy stuffs.... my lemon peel was from there and i threw staright away into my tank.. within few mins ome out and eat.. oh ya wack my existing fish too.. This is how stable the fishes are :lol::lol:

been into their quarantine room... the fishes there are :yeah::yeah:

And btw, those $80/$125/$180 per pair are not just the normal true percula clown fish, they are supposed to be black percula clown. I have seen some fellow reefers who bought from them that turned to fully black and white after few mths.. ;)

• SRC Member

ya.... in fact very healthy stuffs.... my lemon peel was from there and i threw staright away into my tank.. within few mins ome out and eat.. oh ya wack my existing fish too.. This is how stable the fishes are :lol::lol:

been into their quarantine room... the fishes there are :yeah::yeah:

how come i nv go into their quarantine room b4>?? <_<

need special permit to do that??

• SRC Member
those paired perculas are those natural mated pairs... not those anyhow put 2 together type... u wan cheap percula, u gotta buy them singly 

how do you know there are mated pair? it seems that CF guys cannot guarantee is 100% mated pair. anyway, at the end of the day, its buying of quality fishes.

• SRC Member

how do you know there are mated pair? it seems that CF guys cannot guarantee is 100% mated pair. anyway, at the end of the day, its buying of quality fishes.

CF guys can confirm with u that those pairs are naturally paired ones, means the diver went down the water twice for them... that's why the price is much more ex. than u buying 2 single perculas which can be less than $20 ;) n if u realli like, that's the quality too! :)

• SRC Member
Posted on Feb 8 2005, 10:39 AM

QUOTE (dfstan @ Feb 8 2005, 10:32 AM)

those paired perculas are those natural mated pairs... not those anyhow put 2 together type... u wan cheap percula, u gotta buy them singly 

CF guys can confirm with u that those pairs are naturally paired ones, means the diver went down the water twice for them... that's why the price is much more ex. than u buying 2 single perculas which can be less than $20  n if u realli like, that's the quality too! 

FYI actually the CF guys cannot guarantee that when I've asked them. they weren't sure if it's mated pair. what they wrote on the tank is based on what the divers told them.

• SRC Member

I may have to agree with dfstan that their ls are over-priced. But if you prefer stabilise fishes which your own system isn't capable of then it is worth the money.

I've even seen one LFS selling hand caught fishes (self-claimed) at a price.

I may have to agree with dfstan that their ls are over-priced. But if you prefer stabilise fishes which your own system isn't capable of then it is worth the money.

I've even seen one LFS selling hand caught fishes (self-claimed) at a price.

Eh if not confident of own system better dun buy it... waste the livestock waste the money ;)

FYI actually the CF guys cannot guarantee that when I've asked them. they weren't sure if it's mated pair. what they wrote on the tank is based on what the divers told them.

Of course they have to believe what the divers told them.. In fact it applies to all fishes as the lfs owner is defianetly not there on the catching day itself.... Anyway the diver dun gain anything(pay remain same) when they tell the owner its a mated pair

• SRC Member

Well, quality ls comes at a premium. Although that too is no gurantee. But then again it minimises the uncertainties.

If your system is mature and able to acclimatise ls, then why not give a try and test your own system.

OK! All the good point and some interesting speculations.

Pointless to further discuss when at our consumer end....we dun really know what LFS, marine distributors actually do.

Let's get back to topic: LFS update stock please

Reborn have about 10 pieces of Rose BTA,

purple Yumas for $35 a polyp

saw those when i was there yesterday. nice specimens. there was even 1 purple yuma polyp which is abt 2" in diameter. :blink:

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

wow, seems to me that that everyone is debating on the quality of clowns from CF.

Well, i am one of their customers who bought a pair of true mated black perculas from them.

To date, my peruclas are eating well, and they are really mated! the male clown always follow the female and vice versa. And they even sleep next to each other during night. (By the way, i don't keep anemone), So the female clown actually brush off the sand and create a warm nest for both of them. Rather unique behaviour.

I dare say CF bring in lots of healthy livestock and in huge variety also. As for the price wise, if you think you cant bear to part your $, then don't! At the end of the day, we as customers still have the right and the choice to chose what we want!