Anyone can advise how to setup Webcam?

patrick123

• SRC Member

I'm in the process of wiring up the house to setup CCTV for the garden and paramater. I'm thinking since I'm setting up the CCTV, might as well setup an additional point to monitor my tank. :)

According to the guy who propose the CCTV, the system can be standalone DVR recorder, or can be computer based digital recording, and they can link up to the internet to be viewed through the internet. (sort of like webcam).

However, according to them, I need to apply for a static IP address from the ISP so that it can be used with a DNS server with a fixed address.

I have called the SCV, and for the MaxOnline service, they do not offer static IP address. Anyone has tried this? I know Weileong is one of the pioneer in this. Can you comment? Or give some idea about how we can setup a webcam?

Thanks,

Patrick

• SRC Member

6.5Mbps is just the local bandwidth before it hits STIX. Also their own international bandwidth is quite limited and dats where the bottleneck is when we are surfing international sites.

Also SCV is shared bandwidth amoung your neighbours due to its very nature. IF you have boys in your vicinity that is downloading huge amount of files at the same time you are trying to download a file from an international site, your download rate will drop like a brick.

ADSL would more or less quarantee what they quote since its a dedicated link to the nearest POP. :)

Even if they offer maxonline 10,0000 they still fixed the uplink to 128k only. This is no better than singtel 256k ADSL with 128k uplink.

The 512k and higher ADSL services have uplink of 256k, beats the SCV pinhole 128k uplink anytime. This is very important for using IP cam.

The D-link IP cam supports the dyndns directly so dynamic address is no problem. If not you can always get a router that supports dyndns. Patrick if not sure what I am talking about then just pay the guys at the shop to setup for you.

• SRC Member

Thanks. So I should sign up for the Singtel 512k ADSL instead right?

The guy I approached for my CCTV seems not to know much about dyndns. That's why he asked me to setup a dedicated IP. I will check with him again. Seems like they are in security, not IT (not from funan type).

I don't know if there is any difference in term of resolution comparing the CCTV type and the normal webcam.

How many frame per sec is the webcam? Does it support infrared?

• SRC Member

The price for the SCV 6.4Mbps is not too bad too. It is $79.80 come free with the cable modem and wireless router. I called them and for a limited amount of time, the price is about $69. So it is very close to the SCV1.5 of $58.80

http://www.starhub.com/online/promotionsan.../cny/index.html

Comparing this with Singnet 1.5Mbps at $68.25. I think the price is pretty good.

• SRC Member

Weileong is right. The 6.5Mbps ($79.8) is 384kbps, the 1.5Mbps ($58.8) is only 56kbps (oh my god).

Whereas all SingNet 1500kbps ($68.25) and 3500kbps ($83.9) plans upload speed of up to 350kbps.

How I wish they can reverse the ADSL and improve the upload speed and reduce the download speed for the Webcam users.

The price for the SCV 6.4Mbps is not too bad too. It is $79.80 come free with the cable modem and wireless router. I called them and for a limited amount of time, the price is about $69. So it is very close to the SCV1.5 of $58.80

http://www.starhub.com/online/promotionsan.../cny/index.html

Comparing this with Singnet 1.5Mbps at $68.25. I think the price is pretty good.

dun forget the additional discounts if u r a Hub Club member. ;)

btw, i wonder which is better? the Linksys or the motorola SBG1000i wireless modem.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png