how big does refugium have to be to control NO3?

shoelevy

• SRC Member

recently, i went to AA and the boss and i entered topic of refugium and he told me for nitrate control with refugium, its size or surface area needs to be somewhere close to main tank b4 any significant nitrate control will take place.

i've been using a small 2x1 ft refugium with caulerpa for nitrate control....after hearing what he said, i went home to test my no3 and sure enough, it never dropped since the last time i tested my no3 6 weeks ago.

i jus wanna find out by starting this thread on wat's the experience of those who use or haf used algae in refugium to control nitrates

:thanks:

• SRC Member

My refuge is way way smaller than my main tank....main tank 18g and refuge lesser than 3g. But works for me...nitrate from 20ppm (end of cycling) reduced to 5ppm now.

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member

I think you also need to stress on the maintence of your algae. Once they will grown you should start trimming them. Cause like AA said to me, the bottom part which did not receive any light will start to die off and there comes your nitrite, ammonia etc. <_<

• SRC Member
recently, i went to AA and the boss and i entered topic of refugium and he told me for nitrate control with refugium, its size or surface area needs to be somewhere close to main tank b4 any significant nitrate control will take place.

i've been using a small 2x1 ft refugium with caulerpa for nitrate control....after hearing what he said, i went home to test my no3 and sure enough, it never dropped since the last time i tested my no3 6 weeks ago.

i jus wanna find out by starting this thread on wat's the experience of those who use or haf used algae in refugium to control nitrates

:thanks:

Bro, dont waste time on growing macroalgaes if your refugium is small. The nutrients uptake from the macroalgaes are too slow. Just go for a DSB (preferbly live sand 6"-10"), rowaphos and active carbon. The DSB will take care of your nitrate when its matured. The rowaphos for phosphate control and carbon for any toxic chemical release from various corals.

Eric

• SRC Member
how often do u do a trim of yr algae, the flowrate through the refug and wat algae r u using 35cents?

I trim my algea every 10 days. Flowrate thru the fuge is 5X the volume of my main tank. I'm using caulepa algae...dunno wat's the name...you can see it at the following link:

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...opic=27767&st=0

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

eric...with this link http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...pic=24343&st=15

looking at photos of my sump, do you think the centre compartment is suitable for DSB based on its size and how the water flows through it?

thanks

You can have the DSB in the centre compartment.

But the water flow to the 3rd compartment will be from the top instead of the bottom.

Another issue ... compartment is too small for the DSB to be effective.

• SRC Member

You can have the DSB in the centre compartment.

But the water flow to the 3rd compartment will be from the top instead of the bottom.

Another issue ... compartment is too small for the DSB to be effective.

er...u sae dsb can be in centre compartment then u sae DSB not going to be effective

that's kinda like saying dun waste time with dsb?

maybe time to upgrade my sump :)

• SRC Member
wow...so big?

hm...perhaps i'll consider a denitrator

any advice on where to get and price to expect?

diy one also can...cheaper is better for me

If your main tank already have a DSB, then that sump centre compartment for additional live sand will be sufficent to cope with ur nitrate. If your tank is bare bottom, then I suggest you invest on a bigger sump for more surface area to hold ur DSB.

Invest on a good skimmer for the 1st compartment and add in 2 return pumps

(8000l/hr -12000l/hrx 2) for your last compartment for maximum turnover rate.

p/s: If on budget, go for at least 1 reliable germany or japan pump and the other just a normal high flowrate taiwan/china pump, link both together with check valve at discharge of pump so there's no worries of pump failures. If your flowrate is powerful enough, you can even tee-off to your FR,Chiller,UV.......etc

Eric