Beckett 1408

Tanzy

• SRC Member

For those interested in or just wondering what the heck a Beckett injector is, I've included a photo. It's often referred to by it's part number, Beckett #1408. It's a modified venturi valve originally used in ponds for aeration or in fountains. Recently these foam jets have been adapted to be used in protein skimmers and have been reported to be excellent at producing fine bubbles.

For those interested in DIY-ing a skimmer, I'll highly recommend using a Beckett injector. I'm sure Phang will be glad to update us on his design and progress of his skimmer.

I intend to fit this bugger into my existing ETS skimer and see how it performs.

post-9-1036079538.jpg

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Haahaaha....

I think Robe and Alvy should be showing us some of their stuff...

Recently seen Alvy's Beckett.....Impressed.... But you should see his Korallin Calcium Reactor..... that one, my jaw dropped!!!!! :lol:

IMPRESSIVE MAN!!!!

Check out aquarealms... he posted pics.....

For the Beckett, Will definitely update... my version is to use simple containers for the Beckett.... the housing for my beckett is a 60 cents red cover acrylic container commonly found in hardware shops...... formed to holes to hold the Beckett in place.... rest of materials will be from previous unwanted Skimmers......

will make and try out.... then successful, will show....

Tanzy, YOU PUT ME IN THE SPOT!!!!!! <_<

• SRC Member
I'll highly recommend using a Beckett injector. I'm sure Phang will be glad to update us on his design and progress of his skimmer.

I intend to fit this bugger into my existing ETS skimer and see how it performs.

Also do take note that in order for the Beckett to be of any use in the first place, you must at least have about 4000 l /hr flow rate thru it....

• SRC Member

I agree with rrrobt!

4000l/hr will require at least Iwaki MD70R! I do believe that some people in the States use only a Rio3100 to run the Beckett and the Rio is not pressure rated. A dual Beckett skimmer only requires MD55R to power it, but the Beckett's performance is proportional to flow, stronger the flow, better the Beckett will perform.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Although it seems that Alvy said

.....it can have the tendency to overskim though and it needs at least a 4000lph or a 900 - 1000gph pump to be efficient....

i followed the design of myreef's skimmer..

when asked about the beckett nozzle.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

RRbot,

How's the skimmer so far is it producing dark skimmate already?

Phang,

I'm using a Halida 3,000 li/hr pump and the skimmer is producing at least 1/2 cup of dark evil smelling waste every 2 days....

It depends on the size of the reaction chamber whether you can use a more powerful pump or not together with the foam riser tube diameter. The smaller the pump the turnover is also lower but it still beats most skimmers including RSB, TUnze and other small skimmers.

• SRC Member
Although it seems that Alvy said

when asked about the beckett nozzle.

Haha,

Where did you get that quote from??? definitely not from this forum.... :lol:

I think when he mentioned that kind of flowrate is for overskimming or actually the best results....

But thanks guys for confirming that a less than 4000 l/hr flowrate not being required to run the beckett....

I'm been scatching my head as to how to get that kind of water flow without paying that kind of money....... :P

Robe, will go with you regarding the Hailea 3000 l/hr model.... i think it should be a 6530... right????

BTW, smaller sized reaction chamber and smaller foam riser tube means can use smaller pump????

Talk about a mini Beckett skimmer..... :lol:

Cos if that's possible... I might jus keep it size in check (not much space left in the sump)...... ;)

Not necessarily small as the amount of foam produced requires at least a 3" foam riser tube. My skimmer's overall height is around 26". A bigger reaction chamber is better so that a minimum of micro bubbles is returned.

robe ,your Halida is 2880 l/h and the model is 6540 right. because what i know is they have model 6530,6540 and 6550. 6550 is 5000++ l/h.

anyway i am using a EM pump 2200 l/h is because is a old 1 which i have kept for 10+ year.

any one who one to diy Beckett skimmer, please please check your space first, it need lenght and hight.

even robe one is 26" high but still has bubble return to the tank

my is only 23 " high , below my tank is 26" high so i have to make the skimmer 23" high so i have more bubble than robe so i am trying to get rid of the bubble now.

• SRC Member

Something I notice about the Beckett injector chamber is that there is no water drain at the bottom of the chamber. In the few beckett skimmers I've seen, water always collect there after a while.

If you guys are DIYing the skimmer, you can consider adding an air-tight drain.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

rrrobt/robe,

Can u post a pic on yr DIY skimmer? i'm in the midst of gathering info for my diy beckett skimmer as well. tks. :D

#1. what's the diameter of yr skimmer (assumed is a round tube)

#2. if yr outlet of the injector directed upward as in pic, will it still hv the bubbles problem at the water outlet ??

Tks.

• SRC Member

need some advises on the DIY beckett skimmer. I've come out with this design after some reading, which is abt 2ft10in high. due to my cabinet is abt 3ft high. It'll be all made using PVC tube/pipe, as i checked with some h/w shop that the 6" arcylic tube for 1m cost ~$100 excluding the labor charges (or someone got lobang for acrylic works?) i also take away the square chamber below, any problems??

another thing is that the h/w shop owner is not very sure that there is a 6" to 3" reducer, anyone can confirm? definitely no 3" to 1" as i checked with Hai Cheong. so the injector column is fixed using a 3" to 2" then connect to a 2" to 1" reducer. (am i complicate things? or should juz stick to arcylic ??? ;)

any foreseen problems with the design ?? comments pls. tks. B)

post-9-1039443318.jpg

• SRC Member

Injectors shouldn't point straight up but at an angle towards the side so the water will swirl/spin, increasing contact time.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

maybe u have to think of a way to detach ur collection cup from the foam chamber....u dun wan to lift the whole damn thing up from the sump to maintain it!..will need lots of clearance..u can check with hai cheong if they have 3" unions to fabricate the disconnection point!!i've seen some form of reducer at HCheong, but the compact ones are in sch80 and they are not cheap!! :(

• SRC Member

Alvy/Tanzy,

Thanks. will be going down to HCheong this friday to gather the stuff for my tank as well as check out the things needed for the skimmer. ;) hope can fix within budget

stuff needed

#1. 2x 3" to 2" reducer

#2. 2x 2" to 1" reducer

#3. 3" PVC tube/pipe (??)

#4. 1" PVC pipe

#5. 6" PVC tube

#6. 2x 6" to 3" reducer (~$15 ea)

#7. 2x 6" cap

#8. union valve

hi spade,

sorry no pic, r u using sch80 for all or normal 1

becoz i remember 6" to 3" reducer is not that expensive $8++ and i found a shop at joo chiat $6.50

r u making 2 skimmer, y x 2 ?

O ya remember to ask them to melt yr reducer for u to fit to yr 6" pipe

• SRC Member
hi spade,

sorry no pic, r u using sch80 for all or normal 1

becoz i remember 6" to 3" reducer is not that expensive $8++ and i found a shop at joo chiat $6.50

r u making 2 skimmer, y x 2 ?

O ya remember to ask them to melt yr reducer for u to fit to yr 6" pipe

rrrobt,

some need 2 pieces cos eg 6x3 reducer from the main tube to connect to a 6x3 reducer with the connection cup (which is another shorter 6" tube).

Can pm me the addr of the shop at Joo Chiat ? i go and check out. B)

• SRC Member

I'll sugget that you get rid of the air outlet at the top of the collection cup and build an auto shut-off waste collection bucket.

When the waste bucket is full, the ping-pong ball will float up and seal the bucket causing it to be airtight. The pressure greatly reduces skimmer foam in the riser and sort of 'shut-off' the skimmer.

post-9-1040177392.jpg

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member
I'll sugget that you get rid of the air outlet at the top of the collection cup and build an auto shut-off waste collection bucket.

When the waste bucket is full, the ping-pong ball will float up and seal the bucket causing it to be airtight. The pressure greatly reduces skimmer foam in the riser and sort of 'shut-off' the skimmer.

tanzy,

where can i get more info on this ping-pong ball shut-off system ? tks.

• SRC Member

Hard to describe and I'm not good with engineering. If you are really interested, you can come have a look at my waste collector.

Maybe the DIY gurus can help you out.

post-36-1093875548.jpg