3)PC games

4)stereo sets

5)handphone

6)TV

7)clothes

8)fitness equipment

9)medicine

10)internet moderms.....

the list goes on. Pple are just too quick to jump to conclusion and are critical for the sake of being critical.......

Quek, you defected there eh? :D

Its been a while and its good to see William and yourself back, my apologies if I missed someone out but I do miss the original crew.

Now that we are here, we must remember to conduct ourselves as gentlemen and ladies, with the proper netiquette, posting reasonably and responsibly.

1315 views for the thread, no doubt we have seen a lot of guest traffic.

Well, one should make the distinction between the responsible and irresponsible breeding instead of firing at everyone; like DeepBlue has put it, "being critical for the sake of being critical". Only then, can one address the issue from there.

Lets see if this develops into a healthy discussion, and if this thread gets linked elsewhere again...

• SRC Member

I can understand the initial thought of the person who started the thread in dogsite. All "hardcore" dogs activist condemn "backyard" breeder and frankly they are right to be so. Backyard breeder mainly breed for profit without even blinking an eye if the mummy or pups are healthy. Most will even sell the pups away before 8 weeks or send them to petshops and the story continues.....

From what I'v seen the way Rumor search for prospective owner, he definitely does not belong to the "backyard" breeders.

Btw, anyone know if there's any Schipperke owner in Singapore? :off:

Cheers

JC

Fair enough, but they have really got to make the distinction between the two before they go ape-shit. It should also be in the interest of the buyer to determine if the pup they are considering are healthy, free from diseases etc. Ask to see the parents, see the premise. It works both ways.

To curb backyard breeding, you cut off their demand, the buyers. A separate action must go about educating new dog owners about avoiding them. So they are forced to go even deeper underground, or buck up. Admit that the society will never rid of it, and mitigate it to an acceptable level which is more practical.

Move on to greater issue such as poverty, homelessness, cross-straits relations if you're up to it. Anyone can be an activist, but one has to act, otherwise, its just a load of gas.

On a separate note, not that I know of any Schipperke owner, it is a very handsome and compact dog if its within breed standard, especially in its black harsh coat. If I'm not wrong, its probably around the same size as mine.

• SRC Member

well...I would second Rumor's sales too as I have personally seen how he and his wifey treat their pets. So much of TLC... :kiss:

Moreover, I dun think they need to make a trade out of this...they are financially well-endowed :P ...they just wan to guarantee that the offspring go to good homes. Infact, I learnt abt the agreement thing and I felt it sounded good and reasonable.

Like I made a mistake of giving my siberian husky and all his barang including his backpacking stuff to a person who promised me that he would take very good care and after a couple of months, he went to offer Barkus to his business associate. :angry::angry::angry:

And when we said that we wanna take a look at him...he promised to arrange and yet scot off...no replys and not answering phone... :(:angry::angry::cry2:

So next time I gave anything...I also check for potential owners' criteria...Lesson learnt... :angry::cry2:

• SRC Member

No worries Rumor. If you look through the thread, quite a few of the member there are aware of the efforts you have put in searching for good owner. All is not lost at doggiesite. :whistle

On a separate note, not that I know of any Schipperke owner, it is a very handsome and compact dog if its within breed standard, especially in its black harsh coat. If I'm not wrong, its probably around the same size as mine.

Yap. Its a beautiiful dog. Fell in love with it once I saw it sometime back. Have not been able to spot any locally but heard someone ever saw one locally a few years back. I'm even consider importing one a later time to come from aussie. :eyebrow: But abit worry that it might not be able to take the humidity in Singapore thus hope to find some ex or current owner for their experience. :(

Frankly... I don't commercial breeders as being extremely lightyears ahead from home breeders in terms of how they take care of dogs they breed.

Look at the number of horrifying finds in some so-called farms where dogs are found in horrendous conditions.... not saying that all the farms are like that but the basic thing is... most of these dogs are confined into very small spaces... some even in cages... most of the time.

On the other hand, a home breeder will take very good care of his charges with both space, comfort levels and human interaction.

I may be wrong though. *shrug*

• SRC Member
Look at the number of horrifying finds in some so-called farms where dogs are found in horrendous conditions.... not saying that all the farms are like that but the basic thing is... most of these dogs are confined into very small spaces... some even in cages... most of the time.

You're spot on AT. Puppy mills are a no no and all of us should not support them.

For those interested to find out more, visit this http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/what_is_a_puppy_mill.htm

or this, http://www.canismajor.com/dog/puppymil.html

• SRC Member

Surprise! I just realised that my reply on previous Rumors' thread had been pull out and appeared in this thread and with such a title. May I know who's the moderator is helping me to title it? Errr... I think whoever moderate he is "Throw me a bone ..., *ding ding ... Round 2" doesn't sound friendly instead a bit provoking.

Oops ... that would be me, I wanted to close the thread and move this to Kopitiam where we can engage on a more intellectual level.

I'll rename to indicate its a 'Moved' or 'Split' topic.

It is already has been stated in the source thread.

In fact, even home breeders might not be as responsible if for a fact he/she do not understand the breed, its standards and the genetic defects usually associated with line. There are not really nothing much to say about puppy mills.

Serious breeders, who usually show their dogs are however more particular with complying with breed standard. In that, they understand the breed, its needs, nutritional requirement, right down to its psychology. They will not in good conscience engage in indiscriminate breeding as they have to maintain their good reputation and standard.

Therefore there are pet quality, and there are show quality dogs. You can tell the difference if you pay attention to its general disposition, structure, composure and gait.

While the market is proliferated with dogs of bad breeding, there are those who maintains the breed standard and continue to educate the mis- or ill-informed. It will be unfair to generalise all breeders as indiscriminate, profit making entities.

On the matter of addressing the problem, I see no real effect on launching a blitzkrieg on puppy mills. They will eventually pop up again. Next thing we know, they're carrying pups in trenchcoats and pushing them in the back alley.

In a country where you can be hung for posessing a pinch of drug; why are they still available, if you know where to find them? Think about it.

The real solution is educating the public. You can cut the supply, but that will only drive up the demand. Thereby leading to a rush to meet the demand, and *BANG you're back where you started.