Fish Tank Power Trip

joeyttk

Hi,

My fish tank keep tripping. It happen 3 times yesterday, and the last electrical component that I installed was more than 2 weeks ago. Very strange that it should happen only now.

Currently, I have 1 power point with multiple extension. 1 extension that runs a Hailea 1hp, 4 for powerheads to drive skimmer, chiller, return pump, and 2 for lights and 1 for air stone.

Must be over loaded rite ? wonder if there is any gadget out there that can do a 'localized' trip.

Rite now, the power trip is so mega that I not only have to reset the box in my house, but also take the key and go to the lift lobby to reset the main in the electrical riser for my unit.

If I add another power point using extension cable, what should I put in the first point, and what for the 2nd ? any idea

sorry, I am a complete electrical idiot.

joey.

Yeah, agree with isolating the equipment one by one ato find out which piece of equipment is giving the problem, den can move on from there, no point trying to guess at this point of time...

Could be juz a faulty socket... :upsidedown:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

u can can localized tripping using some electronic device. But I don't know what is it call.... Also this thing is good to isolate leaking current to the earth for all electrical stuffs as long as there is an earth connection. This gadget will trip if a 10mA leaking is found....**this is so small that we don't even feel the 'shock'**

:)

post-11-1105505351.jpg

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

Hi,

wow, u are unbelievable! thanks for all the tips.

Before I left for work this morning, I decide not to run my canister, my 3 ft PL and my 2ft PL for sump.

I came home and everything still running.

So here's my guess,

a. Weileong, I think u are rite, the extension is very light-weight. It is blackened from the last tripping [blown fuse]. I switch to another extension and only run my chiller, 2 power head, 1 return pump and a 4-outlet air-pump

b. I bought a 6m extension cord and pull from another power point. I am now running my 3ft + 2ft PL light and cannister from this point. I am hoping that all these tripping is due to the 'overloading' as I am drawing all 8 devices from a single power point previously. If this setup survive till tomorrow nite, I hope I am safe!

c. Finally, kareen, u are very very helpful. U gave superb advise on my other threads on diatom and u actually shoot the pictures for me!! thanks a zillion.

May I know exactly where u buy that gadget and how much was it ? While touching the screw of my chiller, I felt a tiny shock. I just want to do some preventive measure.

thanks everyone for your valuable advise, I truly appreciate your help!!!

thanks a zillion

joey :)

I have remove 2 very old equipment, and now is running 7 point from a single source.

I have changed the power extension and so far no trip yet *finger-x*

I am keeping the new gadget suggested to run my 2 powerhead and MH in another source.

I am thinking it is better to trip the whole house then to trip the chiller alone. It will be a nightmare if the MH comes on for 8 hours and chiller not running.