new bought hard coral

:angry: huh.... i juz bought a new hard coral. (anchor coral)

and this coral start to 'vomit' at the moment i put it into my tank.

and the day after, it start to melt........... :angry: then die...( the whole process take only 1 1/2 day ) the coral cost me more than 50........ now the money will not return..... i pay for that rock.... :cry2:

eeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa............................. <_<

and the people told me... when u buy a new coral, u should look carefully. the point is i dun kno the way and how. so he said, if the skeleton look very white, then u should not buy that coral anymore.... coz the coral is waiting to die :shock:

(this is wat happen to my new anchor coral) :cry2:

alots of coral die in my tank already...................... how come im so stupid!!! <_<

repeating the same mistake.........

do any1 kno others way to choose the good coral b4 buy? pls share!!!! :(

• SRC Member

What's your setup and water parameters? High corals death rates seems to indicate that the problem may lie with your tank or the way you acclimatise it.

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member

William shared an unique way of identifying good healthy, corals - By smelling. Smells rotting = no good. I think this works for me too!

Look at the color, smell as well as the tank where it house the corals before buying.

• SRC Member

id suggest you spent some time and money to get the parameters of your water.

if everything is normal, then i suppose its the husbandry of the corals you r unsure off?

eg, where did you place ur anchor coral when you bot it? wat lights are you using?

;)

Did you take time to acclimatize your coral.

You might have excellent water params but if the water your corals has gotten accustom to is slightly different. And you add the corals in immediately - you will also cuz them to be in shock!

Acclimatization should be done regardless of whether your trust yours or your LFS water params.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
and the people told me... when u buy a new coral, u should look carefully. the point is i dun kno the way and how.

so he said, if the skeleton look very white, then u should not buy that coral anymore.... coz the coral is waiting to die :shock:

(this is wat happen to my new anchor coral) :cry2:

alots of coral die in my tank already...................... how come im so stupid!!! <_<

repeating the same mistake.........

There could be many reasons why a coral dies in the tank. As other reefers are already advising you on water parameters and acclimatisation, I shall not dwell on these. Thus, I'll focus my reply on coral selection.

Well, I do use the smell-test if I can't properly ascertain the health of the coral by visual examination. But almost all of the time, you should be able to tell just by looking.

You mentioned that you "dun kno the way and how".

In my experience, I think it is all a matter of knowing what looks normal and what doesn't. One easy way is to look at photos in reference books of reef/corals. You could also visit websites selling corals which would usually showcase good and healthy specimens.

I encourage you to examine, observe and try to memorise how each type of corals look.

Here's a simple analogy ... if you're buying an apple (I'm talking about the fruit -- not the computer), would you buy it if it has dents or visible bruises on it's skin?

I hope you know what I mean.

PS: As for your last paragraph, I think it is best answered by yourself. ;)

There could be many reasons why a coral dies in the tank. As other reefers are already advising you on water parameters and acclimatisation, I shall not dwell on these. Thus, I'll focus my reply on coral selection.

Well, I do use the smell-test if I can't properly ascertain the health of the coral by visual examination. But almost all of the time, you should be able to tell just by looking.

You mentioned that you "dun kno the way and how".

In my experience, I think it is all a matter of knowing what looks normal and what doesn't. One easy way is to look at photos in reference books of reef/corals. You could also visit websites selling corals which would usually showcase good and healthy specimens.

I encourage you to examine, observe and try to memorise how each type of corals look.

Here's a simple analogy ... if you're buying an apple (I'm talking about the fruit -- not the computer), would you buy it if it has dents or visible bruises on it's skin?

I hope you know what I mean.

PS: As for your last paragraph, I think it is best answered by yourself. ;)

:thanks: thanks bro...