Type of sand

Reeffer

• SRC Member

Try not to use quartz sand - as silica is present in the sand you might have a aglae boom later on.

Use those coral sand - they come in different grades from 0 (finest )onwards. Try not to use the grade 0 sand as they are too fine - you will encountered problem after some time... because you can't clean them properly.

Happy reefing.

It is adviseable to wash you sand before adding into you tank. After you have washed the sand, you have to go through the sand with a strong magnet to pick out any metalic stuff that may be detrimental to your livestocks.

Even after the above process, you water will still cloud but will settle in a few days.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
i bought some grade 0 sand for my tank and it seems that my tank is very cloudy after i put in the sand. Is it because i didn't wash the sand? The cloudy water will clear up after some time after the particles settle?

dun wori, it shld be fine.. coz some sand is juz too fine to settle tt fast..juz let it settle for a day.. next morning u wake up it shld be crystal clear.. ;)

• SRC Member
thanks for all your help. :P

can anyone whos using pure grade 0 sandbed share his experience cos i was wondering if the fine grains will be stirred up very easily by movements of LS in the tank

usually it will settle soon.. unless u stir up the whole sandbed again nar.. :lol: dun get anything tt blows directly above the sand can le ba... but nv to wori... little movement/shifting wont cloud the water.. ;)