Clam Disease

I think I got the clam disease again! all 14 maximas, croceas and squamosa are dying! The mantles are retracted, some of the clams are still responding to light. Changed 50% of the water, the birdnest is not affected. :cry2:

My condolence to you

• SRC Member
It happened before about 1 year ago, clams will die over a few days. I dont know what kills them .. but should be a kind of bacteria infection.

u can trace the source ..... any new addition recently ??? ( clams/corals) .....

• SRC Member

dude.

iodine is POISONOUS in large amounts!!! :cry:

how much exactly?

if i were you, i'd run carbon & polyfilter immediately.

then do water changes.

lots of it.

how are the fishes?

:cry2:

14 pcs is a lot of real estate bro.

hope they recover

The probelm is I didnt do anything to it. I took them out for a iodide dip and poured 1/5 bottle into the tank.

1/5 bottle is alot IMO. Normal seawater concentration of iodine is about 0.06mg/l.

I'm using seachem's concentrated iodine. Dosing 1ml in my 180-200l tank will already increase iodine concentration by 0.04mg/l.

If your iodine additive is as concentrated as seachem's....I can't imagine what 1/5 a bottle would do to your tank. As mentioned by bum...overdosing iodine can really have lethal effects. Think you should get a salifert iodine test kit and test the amount of iodine in your water. If you really added as much as 1/5 a bottle...I think even with a 50% water change the iodine levels would still be lethal.

Just hope it's not the iodine problem. :unsure:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

You need a 100% waterchange to remove the iodine. Whatever gave you that brilliant idea?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Hehe...change to Seachem's Iodide lah..it's formulated for timed release of iodide ions. Not sure about JBL...even people comment that their test kits are not accurate. :unsure:

• SRC Member

Guys, 1 of my maxima died yesterday :cry::cry2: .. it was gapping in the morning and found it dead at night.. :cry:

I recently dosed iodide and kalk Ammonia:0 Nitrite:0 Nitrate: 35 Calcium: 435 dKH: 6.7

This morning i find 1 of my clam gapping, i guess it will be dead at night :cry:

ORDed

back to studies and reefing again..

3v|L,Sep 9 2003, 12:48 PM] Guys, 1 of my maxima died yesterday :cry::cry2: .. it was gapping in the morning and found it dead at night.. :cry:

I recently dosed iodide and kalk Ammonia:0 Nitrite:0 Nitrate: 35 Calcium: 435 dKH: 6.7

This morning i find 1 of my clam gapping, i guess it will be dead at night :cry:

Hey your dkh look like it is very little

3v|L,Sep 9 2003, 12:48 PM] Guys, 1 of my maxima died yesterday :cry::cry2: .. it was gapping in the morning and found it dead at night.. :cry:

Dangers of dosing iodine? :evil: