How Many Skimmer(s)

Melvyn Tan

• SRC Member

Hi All,

I am interested to find out how many reefers actually use 2 or more skimmers in their tank and what are it's benefits (if any) and whether it is more superior in skimming as compared to using one skimmer.

Water in the close-looped tank will never get 100% water skimming as understood - also interested to know your configuration for those that use 2 or more skimmers for your tank.

Cheers !!!

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

when running 2 skimmers at the same time, the more efficient skimmer will skim most of the things and the other left redundant...dun ask me y, i also dunno...hahaha...if not,only the one tat is in the best position will skim, the other will not...

but i certainly have witness this happening before...

skimmer 1: H&S (the big model)

skimmer 2: alvyfoamer 648

skimmer 3: DIY spray injector

H&S was positioned nearest to the overflow, skimmed the best...alvyfoamer and spray injector were clean after 2weeks...

but once the H&S is off, the alvyfoamer started skimming and the spray injector still clean...

alvyfoamer and H&S off, then the spray injector started...

i cannot say that alvyfoamer is lousier than H&S.. in fact, at that point of time, alvyfoamer was one of the BESTEST skimmer in SRC, if not at least on par with H&S...

I've seen some reefers who sucessfully used 2 or even more skimmers together with great effectiveness.... Something which beats me too...

I have tried using 2 weipros 2012 side by side before and the results were not convincing.... One stopped and the other hardly skimmed! :sick:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

AT: yup...that's the one...md55 not t-off for anything...the issue here is tat alvyfoamer works, but not when all three skimmers are operating at the same time...of cos the foam doesn't push out well, but tat's besides the point...

Weileong: 4 X 2 X 2, quite heavily stock and heavily fed...main return 1262 and a 1260 to chiller...u pointed out a very relevant point...

for example: the sump turnover is 2000ltr/hr and H&S is rated at 3000ltr/hr, this means that wat ever tank water that is flowing into the sump will be 100% skimmed before passing on the the next skimmer, and thus the next skimmer will have nothing to skim at all...so acually competition of skimmer will rely more on the positioning of the skimmer than the effectiveness of the skimmer...hahahaah...luckily we didn't have the competition in singapore, if not all skimmer manufacturers will be paying to have a spot nearer to the overflow compartment...hahaha...

frankly, have anyone wonder y the www.o2manyfishes.com skimmer test has such amazing results?? how can the other 2 skimmers not skim and only 1 (AquaC) skim?? issit true that the other 2 skimmers are lousier??

I tink the tuning of the skimmer to adjust the bubbles size is important...

Previously when i didn't tune my beckett properly, it stopped skimming the 2nd day after the last time I fed my fish...

Now dat I've tuned it better, it hasn't stopped skimming!! :lol:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
I tink the tuning of the skimmer to adjust the bubbles size is important...

Previously when i didn't tune my beckett properly, it stopped skimming the 2nd day after the last time I fed my fish...

Now dat I've tuned it better, it hasn't stopped skimming!! :lol:

agree with u..tuning is definitely a very important aspect..make so many skimmers already, and still cannot master this technique...hahaha..wat a shame!!!

frankly, have anyone wonder y the www.o2manyfishes.com skimmer test has such amazing results?? how can the other 2 skimmers not skim and only 1 (AquaC) skim?? issit true that the other 2 skimmers are lousier??

Brian's custom made skimmer didn't even work in the first place.

The GEO venturi was because of a mismatched pump?

I think they should redo the tests for the first bracket of skimmers.

• SRC Member
when running 2 skimmers at the same time, the more efficient skimmer will skim most of the things and the other left redundant...dun ask me y, i also dunno...hahaha...if not,only the one tat is in the best position will skim, the other will not...

but i certainly have witness this happening before...

skimmer 1: H&S (the big model)

skimmer 2: alvyfoamer 648

skimmer 3: DIY spray injector

H&S was positioned nearest to the overflow, skimmed the best...alvyfoamer and spray injector were clean after 2weeks...

but once the H&S is off, the alvyfoamer started skimming and the spray injector still clean...

alvyfoamer and H&S off, then the spray injector started...

i cannot say that alvyfoamer is lousier than H&S.. in fact, at that point of time, alvyfoamer was one of the BESTEST skimmer in SRC, if not at least on par with H&S...

what's so surprising about this? the one nearest the overflow benefits from skimming the dirtiest water. the rest are re-skimming the cleaner water that comes out of the first skimmer, of course they will not foam. that's why using several skimmers in series is IMHO not going to help much.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

Understood from the comments above that the benefits would only tune towards placement of skimmers in parallel as in series would passed on skimmed water to the next skimmer thereby reducing skimming due to "cleaned" water.

So i believe all would agree that by having a 2nd skimmer would double the capacity in skimmering (assuming both skimmers are of the same capacity) and also the efficiency?

So how many of you have 2 skimmers?

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

well as mention... having more then 1 skimmer.. it's all depend on your setup..

having your skimmers in parallel/series (depend how u look at) and making sure each skimmer taking water and return never mix will max the effect..

but dont forget no matter how well u design and setup there is a limit cause your tank vol is this vol will be this vol.

Having a big good oversize skimmer still will be a much more efficient and better method no matter what.

remember the golden word there is no such thing can over skimming but there is such thing as under skimming.

So by have 2 or more undersize skimmer to skim and hope it can replace one big oversize skimmer.. is just a false dream and only sound reasonable in theory but dont work in partical.

If you already have 1 oversize skimmer.. why still bother about having more then 1 skimmer.

:D

• SRC Member

The purpose and objective of this thread is to FIND out the general sentiments with regards to using skimmers and also to understand from those who experience using 2 skimmers on its efficacy and whether there are any real benefits to using 2 instead of one.

The only rational thing i think when using 2 is for the purpose of backing-up.

Anyone?

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Oh yeah Roidan use to have 2 working skimmers...but is there anyone who use 2 chillers (one as a backup - not heard of as yet) and also anyone uses 2 UPS ? thought 1 UPS for back-up?

Anyone using 2 skimmers wish to share your point of view?

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

I was thinking of having 2 skmimmer in paraller in the overflow chamber.

First I notice that how good pump you have , you are not skimming all the water ( mean from overflow box ). Currently I am running Helidax 6500 to run Macro ASP300. Do notice that water flow is higher than the pump ( may be louzy pump however rated 5,000L/hr , while return pump is only Resun 6500 2,800L/hr ).

Second when I overdrive my skimmer ( rated 2,800L/hr now dirven by 5,000L/hr ) , got better skim mate. Used to clean only once a week , now a day every 3 day. The whole collection neck is filled with MUD while get coffee O 250ml.

My tank is 3x1.5x1.5 with 10 fishes ( Blenny & Gobies ). Feed only 1 cube of frozen shrimp every 2 days.

For next project, I am thinking of having 2 skimmer in paraller @ overflow chamber ( b4 cottom wool ) and overdrive to make sure I'd skimmed all before pump back.

Oh yea, I was thinking about my return is 20x for next project.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

Roidan - Can you share with us on your experience using 2 skimmers?

4x2x2 Tank Thread

Roidan - Can you share with us on your experience using 2 skimmers?

personally when i used both aquaC and H&S, both were skimming together and i did not notice the so called shut down effect of one on the other.....the best part is that when i took out out for cleaning or maintenance, i still have another one serving the system.

another theory why both were skimming together could also be that there were simply too much organics to be shared by both skimmers that neither one could shut out the other skimmer :lol:

let us see ur skimmer ??

u mean the current one ah :evil:

Three Cheers for the quattro designer under the sky,

Seven for the other gurus in their halls of stone,

Nine for organics doomed to die,

One for me on my dark throne,

In the Land of Sengkang where the quattro lies.

One skimmer to rule them all, One skimmer to find organics,

One skimmer to bring them all and in the bubbles bind them

In the Land of Sengkang where the quattro lies.

:lol:

post-17-1104582617.jpg

• SRC Member

Wah sei so poetic ah !!! :lol:

4x2x2 Tank Thread