Regal Tang Nips Corals

williammuk

• SRC Member

Hi all, has this ever happened to you?

My Regal Tang (aka Blue/Hippo Tang) has suddenly taken a liking for pratas!

For 2 years, they have been living peacefully together in my old 2-feet tank. In October, I upgraded to a 4-feet tank and they were OK together initially. Then 2 weeks ago, I noticed that my prata doesn't open anymore.

Yesterday, I found out the reason why -- I saw the Regal Tang taking quick nips at the prata!

Searching the net revealed that some sites did mentioned that although it is reef safe, certain individuals may nip at corals and clams. See here and here.

Do you have any experience to share?

What would you recommend I do?

Thanks.

• SRC Member

Found these posts on RC where reefers talked about some unpleasant behaviour of Tangs:

- Regal Tang nip on Crocea Clam

- Powder Brown Tang nip on Leather Coral Polyps

- Regal & Purple Tang eats Zoos and nips on SPS

- Powder Blue Tang nips on Xenia, Star Polyps, Colt Coral

- Yellow Tang killed Crocea Clam

Although it is the oddball Tang that goes nuts over corals, it seems there are enough incidences that suggest that Tangs are not really reef safe.

If you do a search on RC, you'd find more postings on Tang's nipping on corals and clams.

Sigh ... this is bad ... :cry2:

What should I do now?

• SRC Member
yeah thats why now i stop having tangs..... My PBT and regal tang last time was terror

But I love Tangs!

My new setup is already devoid of Angels (which I also love) and now I have to give up on Tangs too? Oh no ... :(

PS: errr ... you're the "Official Tang Police" how come got no Tangs in your tank?

But I love Tangs!

My new setup is already devoid of Angels (which I also love) and now I have to give up on Tangs too? Oh no ... :(

PS: errr ... you're the "Official Tang Police" how come got no Tangs in your tank?

For me ... hehe since both angel or tangs may nip corals(of course angels more prone) i choose to have angel in my reef... cos after all angel is no 1 fav... and they dun produce that much waste compared to tangs :lol::lol::lol:

But I love Tangs!

If you go RC and see the meaning of tang police den you will know :lol::lol::lol: Tang police duty is to arrest those who keep many tangs in a tiny aquarium :lol::lol::lol:

thats why my 3 feet dun have any tangs

• SRC Member
If you go RC and see the meaning of tang police den you will know :lol::lol::lol: Tang police duty is to arrest those who keep many tangs in a tiny aquarium :lol::lol::lol:

thats why my 3 feet dun have any tangs

Though AT once mentioned that there isn't an official SRC tang police :P

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member
If you go RC and see the meaning of tang police den you will know :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Tang police duty is to arrest those who keep many tangs in a tiny aquarium :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:ph34r: Then should I be worried if I tell you that my 4x2x2.5 has a Regal, a Purple, a Yellow and a Chevron? :P

Oh, I have transferred my prata to the sump. Hopefully it will regain confidence and bloom again. I also hope that the Regal Tang won't take a liking to other corals I have. Keep my fingers crossed. :cry: