Firefish photo..

ervine

• SRC Member

D80 coming out? HMmmm... hope got trade in offer.. hehee...

Anyway here's another pic of the monkeys... one of the best photos that I've ever taken.. hardly even PSed in photoshop, the image that cam straight from the cam was close to perfect for me but I pushed it up with PS by just a notch...

post-11-1104417365.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wah...very nice monkey shot!!! :)

that's why i keep saying the nikon kit lens is very very decent...unlike the 18-55mm canon kit lens which is basically worthless unless stopped to smaller apertures....

yeah....even rumours of d200 to replace the very aged d100....

and now also hear rumours of 300D replacement...

because the prices of these models are skydiving recently....D70 body-only can get bought for around $1.3k region

(ie. clear stock before the new models are announced in early 05)

early adopters of technology always suffer huge losses one....just like plasma TVs...last time dun have at least 10k dun even think of owning one....nowadays half the price can own a decent plasma screen already :)

wah...very nice monkey shot!!! :)

that's why i keep saying the nikon kit lens is very very decent...unlike the 18-55mm canon kit lens which is basically worthless unless stopped to smaller apertures....

yeah....even rumours of d200 to replace the very aged d100....

and now also hear rumours of 300D replacement...

because the prices of these models are skydiving recently....D70 body-only can get bought for around $1.3k region

(ie. clear stock before the new models are announced in early 05)

early adopters of technology always suffer huge losses one....just like plasma TVs...last time dun have at least 10k dun even think of owning one....nowadays half the price can own a decent plasma screen already :)

ya agree.... those like to keep trend with nokia phone also jia lat..... keep changing and price keep dropping for old one

i believe nowadays with decent DSLRs, regardless the brands, when viewing at websize or up to printed 8R sizes....it would be quite difficult to tell the pictures apart

and when those really techy websites compare between the cameras...they are really looking into equipment-aided comparison results which leads to this model having more noise than the other....this model have more dynamic range than the other....

but when it comes down to practical end product for usage....rather hard to tell unless working in a intensive-graphics environment dealing with the images at poster/wall sizes and every pixel counts

just like using a D70 and D2H...shooting under the same conditions/lenses...would be hard to tell them apart up to 8R sizes

thus personally i believe DSLR sensors have reached a level where lenses have taken over as the more important aspect of getting better shots rather than the body itself

ie. i won't be surprised if a D70 with a top of the line Nikkor lens will do better than a D2H user with a crappy 3rd party lens :)

personal opinion lah..hehehe..of coz there are other things like focusing, metering, exposure benefits that separates the pro-bodies from the entry-level bodies...hehe

but in a simple macro shot of an apple, a D70 with the top of the line Nikkor micro lens will probably render a better shot than a D2H with a 3rd party crappy macro lens.. :)

Indeed it is... some of my canon friends were surprised by how sharp my images turned out...

Bro, u dun have to bother too much of what next model Nikon is coming up. I believe ur D70 would serve u much much longer. So far, none of my SLR/compacts and even coolpix have ever fail, Nikon stuff are quite lasting as long as u handle and store them with care, plus regular servicing (play with them).

I realised, or maybe it's just a wrong impression, Nikon always put all the basic and very usable features/functions on their 1st generation products (especially their SLR). Very seldom, they will try to change certain format or making things very unique and somehow become outdated sooner or later. Hence, perhaps anyone can just pick up the latest Nikon's model and operate it right away as long as he ever operate a Nikon before. The newer models would be just enhancement on those additional stuff, but its basics and MMI never change.

Hence, if u r not those technology thirst people, even the F1 or D1, are still producing very very good result on most occasion. Not to mention their lens are usually top quality too.

...so when can I bring home the 12-24mm...

Oops, am I too out of topic from Firefish? :P

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

very true...

i find the layout of the nikons very user-friendly and intuitive..

throw 2 newbies one nikon and the other a canon....

by the time the one holding the nikon is shooting away gleefully...the one holding the canon is still probably sludging through the buttons and menus :lol: kidding lah....not so severe...but just like nokia's sms functions are more user-friendly /intuitive compared to others

i also agree the current entry level DSLRs can last us for a very long time....coz afterall our photographic usage is not as demanding as the professionals who shoot for magazines and photo journals

in fact, the newer models are getting more and more pixels and we end up resizing smaller and smaller for our end use :lol:

and if we ever want to print super large sizes.....just go back to film SLRs...nothing beats the resolution of film :)

Me think same same too. But very seldom hear from those bros holding Canons share their experience, as perhaps all our impressions may be wrong. Because after all, I'm never a Canon user, except for the powershot A30, which I have already sold.

Cheers!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

me lor....played very briefly with Nikon film SLR before and now using Canon 20D....feeling different lor.....now feeling like a mass murderer on a machine gun and just fire away without repercussion lor....last time use film..every shot must think carefully and if no skills like me, end up develop the photos waste money...alot of lousy shots...not a lot of keepers... :paiseh::lol:

now digital can immediately review...or rather dun review...just shoot and shoot...go home and slowly review or delete or edit or watever :lol:

anyway for a comparison between film and digital resolution equivalence...

35mm fast film (ISO 400 and up) = 22.11 megapixel equiv.

35mm medium speed film (ISO 100 to 200) = 54 megapixel equiv.

35mm slow speed film (circa ISO 25-80) = 124.76 megapixel equiv

i wonder before the day we die will we see a 124.76mp CCD/CMOS sensor or not...what u think bro cheese? hehe

given that we see a general 2mp jump every year.....wa....need more than 50 years :cry2: hehehe...aiya dun wait...just use film...now we compare hor, film bodies sibei cheap :fear:

anyway back to ervine...more firefish pics please :)

• SRC Member

I actually agree with roidan on the body VS lens issue... but also have to throw in another photographer factor... give him a 1Ds Mark II and top of the line lenses, if the photographer cannot fully utilise the camera/lens it'll just be like having a xeon processor to do word documents...

As for firefishes.. hehe... wait till I get my macro lens first...

I actually agree with roidan on the body VS lens issue... but also have to throw in another photographer factor... give him a 1Ds Mark II and top of the line lenses, if the photographer cannot fully utilise the camera/lens it'll just be like having a xeon processor to do word documents...

As for firefishes.. hehe... wait till I get my macro lens first...

oi..suan me ah...lol

i targetting the 1Ds MarkII and start a collection of Canon L-lenses...hehe

ok lah..bo bian..no skills is no skills..i admit... :cry2::lol:

now u really understand DSLR world very cham hor....torn between long zooms to go zoo take monkeys and your micro/macro to take reef and closeups

it's another money draining hobby....as though reefing not draining enough :cry:

• SRC Member
it's another money draining hobby....as though reefing not draining enough  :cry:

tell me abt it man.. haha.. but I'm stagnating my reeftank for now... fixed just about everything I wanted to fix already... now just maintain...

for now I'm pumping all funds to photography and some small business ideas... hehe

BTW, not suaning u lah... hehe

me lor....played very briefly with Nikon film SLR before and now using Canon 20D....feeling different lor.....now feeling like a mass murderer on a machine gun and just fire away without repercussion lor....last time use film..every shot must think carefully and if no skills like me, end up develop the photos waste money...alot of lousy shots...not a lot of keepers... :paiseh::lol:

now digital can immediately review...or rather dun review...just shoot and shoot...go home and slowly review or delete or edit or watever :lol:

anyway for a comparison between film and digital resolution equivalence...

35mm fast film (ISO 400 and up) = 22.11 megapixel equiv.

35mm medium speed film (ISO 100 to 200) = 54 megapixel equiv.

35mm slow speed film (circa ISO 25-80) = 124.76 megapixel equiv

i wonder before the day we die will we see a 124.76mp CCD/CMOS sensor or not...what u think bro cheese? hehe

given that we see a general 2mp jump every year.....wa....need more than 50 years :cry2: hehehe...aiya dun wait...just use film...now we compare hor, film bodies sibei cheap :fear:

anyway back to ervine...more firefish pics please :)

Hard to say. A new technology will come about and change everything called pixels. And that revolution will bring us over the film, where image sensor and display dun use pixel to measure. :angel: Ha, ha, dun let me predict correctly.

Amitufu.

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller