Decide To Start A Sps Reef

• SRC Member

If you are interested in testing the sps waters, and are only keeping a few pieces, a calcium reactor is not needed.

Just buy a 2 part additive and try it out.

If you have success with it, you can get more pieces, and then think about investing in a calcium reactor.

If you are interested in testing the sps waters, and are only keeping a few pieces, a calcium reactor is not needed.

Just buy a 2 part additive and try it out.

If you have success with it, you can get more pieces, and then think about investing in a calcium reactor.

OK thanks alot

• SRC Member
Oi oi..... i know i will be like spider......... okok i expect tons of people to flame  me :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ..........

you have not seen my sps reef ;) . so watch your little mouth :)

another convert. Welcome to the black hole of your pocket :P

he got sugar daddy la. his pockets safe.. but whats beside them is not

you have not seen my sps reef ;) . so watch your little mouth :)

he got sugar daddy la. his pockets safe.. but whats beside them is not

You got me wrong... what i mean is last time you post about you wanted to start a sps reef, many people discourage you so i expect the same thign to happen to me

can SPS mix wif LPS???

Possible, but you have to watch for coral aggression and be sensitive to lighting and water circulation needs of both SPS and LPS corals.

• SRC Member

To start a SPS Tank with your 55 gallon :rolleyes: I'll list out what I would end-up with :D

1. Calcium Reactor rated more than 10X - 550g or more the merrier

2. periodic dosing of calcium & Ph buffer - if tank is load to its MAX - need to maintain dkh at 9~13 and calcium between 380 to 420ppm a higher dkh will naturally result in slightly lower Ca and vice versa.

# Ca Reactor is 1500L, Kalk Stirrer n PLUS - I dose 500g of Turbo calcium/mth and 1.5kg of kalk/mth for my 90g-> Pararmeters -Ca 380ppm / dkh 13dkh

3. regular water changes 5% weekly? ot 20% monthly at least

4. Lots of water movement - Tunze Streams X2 MaxiJet X3

5. Chiller running at temp 25 ~ 28 at least - best will be 24 ~26

6. minimum of 5w/g - best 10w/g -> need to chk your reflector efficiency and height of tank. Example -> 60 cm tank height - DSB - LR structure for your SPS. For example all my SPS is sitting on less than 35cm to 10 cm LR support from water surface, with most coral tips 1 inch to 5 inch away from water surface and I'm running 10W/g :yeah: FYI, even my brown birdnest from left-over old stock of LFS have turned PINK within the week -> 70% brown - with 2 weeks 80%++ is PINK.

Regular chkng of water parameters. F me everyday on DKH, GH, Ca

Question is are U committed????? When I travel, my brother will cover the :whistle:whistle duties :whistle:whistle:whistle

U should probably think before committing.....notice the number of reefers out there with lots of brown SPS? ....Except for a small pool with very successful SPS tank - U should know them .......I went thru the same road before, thinking having clams for the past decade make me invincible :(<_<:P:P .......so much to learn and lots of answer pertaining to your tank is thru experience...every tank is different. U can map one of the reefers successful SPS tank, might it might not be the idea for yours BTW. :rolleyes:

To start a SPS Tank with your 55 gallon :rolleyes: I'll list out what I would end-up with :D

1. Calcium Reactor rated more than 10X - 550g or more the merrier

2. periodic dosing of calcium & Ph buffer - if tank is load to its MAX - need to maintain dkh at 9~13 and calcium between 380 to 420ppm a higher dkh will naturally result in slightly lower Ca and vice versa.

# Ca Reactor is 1500L, Kalk Stirrer n PLUS - I dose 500g of Turbo calcium/mth and 1.5kg of kalk/mth for my 90g-> Pararmeters -Ca 380ppm / dkh 13dkh

3. regular water changes 5% weekly? ot 20% monthly at least

4. Lots of water movement - Tunze Streams X2 MaxiJet X3

5. Chiller running at temp 25 ~ 28 at least - best will be 24 ~26

6. minimum of 5w/g - best 10w/g -> need to chk your reflector efficiency and height of tank. Example -> 60 cm tank height - DSB - LR structure for your SPS. For example all my SPS is sitting on less than 35cm to 10 cm LR support from water surface, with most coral tips 1 inch to 5 inch away from water surface and I'm running 10W/g :yeah: FYI, even my brown birdnest from left-over old stock of LFS have turned PINK within the week -> 70% brown - with 2 weeks 80%++ is PINK.

Regular chkng of water parameters. F me everyday on DKH, GH, Ca

Question is are U committed????? When I travel, my brother will cover the :whistle:whistle duties :whistle:whistle:whistle

U should probably think before committing.....notice the number of reefers out there with lots of brown SPS? ....Except for a small pool with very successful SPS tank - U should know them .......I went thru the same road before, thinking having clams for the past decade make me invincible :(<_<:P:P .......so much to learn and lots of answer pertaining to your tank is thru experience...every tank is different. U can map one of the reefers successful SPS tank, might it might not be the idea for yours BTW. :rolleyes:

mm wonderful info..... thanks

• SRC Member

My calcium drops from 400ppm to 340ppm in 1 day without adding turbo calcium - supporting with Kalk water top-up n 1500L Calcium Reactor. Avg 60ppm depletion per day even with Kalk & Ca Reactor, So no choice, have to add Turbo Calcium. Think of getting a 5000L rate Ca Reactor or maybe DIY :P

BTW Tanzy running a 4000L Calcium Reactor for his 4ft - that's 10X capacity of tank and his dkh is 8~10 and calcium is 400ppm, also kalk water top-up. Note that his tank is not densely packed. Maybe Tanzy can crrect me if wrong?

I think the contibuting problem imight be my huge Clam population - about 20...it is taking up lots of calcium i suppose :blink: ?

:blink:

Maxima

• SRC Supporter

That's fast, Spidey.... :heh:

BTW, the key to successful SPS keeping lies more with water stability than with lights and lots of calcium...

You can have lights thousands of watts and calciums levels that peak constantly and yet be unable to sustain SPS successfully... without the much needed stable conditions....

So for all those who wants to start with SPS..... get your reef stabilised first.... and the rest should not be much of a difficulty......