Travel Advisory - Jakarta

Achilles Tang

To all reefers here going to Jakarta on business or pleasure, take heed.

Got forwarded this from a reliable source I*D that this is a serious warning that we should take note. FYI please.

SOS Security Alerts <secAlerts@internationalsos.com> 16/12/2004 01:36 AM

To: GN/MD-CS_HR/TH/Temasek Group@TEAMS

cc:

Subject: International SOS Global Security Daily Digest -

December 15, 2004

International SOS Global Security Daily Digest Security Special Advisory - Indonesia Country Risk Rating High December 15, 2004 08:38 GMT Specific Terrorist Threat to International Hotel In Indonesia The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has just issued updated travel advice for Indonesia. This advice specifically states that terrorists are ready to carry out an attack in Jakarta, and that the attack may be directed at the Hilton Hotel. The Jakarta International Hilton Hotel is located at Jalan Gatot Subroto Jakarta.

The advice was issued on 15 December 2004 at 18:54:48, AEDT. The specific text of the advice is as follows:

"We have received credible new information suggesting terrorists are ready to carry out an attack shortly in Indonesia, possibly targeting a Hilton Hotel. Other targets cannot be ruled out. In light of this information, Australians in Jakarta, and elsewhere in Indonesia, are advised to avoid all international hotels and other places where foreigners are known to gather." SOS recommends that clients consider this warning seriously and take measured steps to minimize their exposure in Indonesia immediately.

Whilst this warning specifically identifies the Hilton Hotel as the potential target, with increased security being put in place, it is likely that terrorist resources will be diverted to other suitable targets.

The most likely modus operandi is a vehicle borne improvised explosive device, similar to previous attacks on the JW Marriott and the Australian Embassy.

In light of the specificity of this latest report, we strongly advise all SOS Members currently in Jakarta to avoid all international hotels for the next 72 hours or until further advice is provided. In addition to hotels, all other locations that are primarily frequented by foreigners should be avoided. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• SRC Member

Wah Piangz <_< !.......no need to panic la.....I have seen these warning many times.....just be cautious about where you are going.......its going to be fine......ask Planetg.....hor!!! :lol:

Relax! ;)

• SRC Member
Wah Piangz <_< !.......no need to panic la.....I have seen these warning many times.....just be cautious about where you are going.......its going to be fine......ask Planetg.....hor!!! :lol:

Relax! ;)

I'm not as positive as you guys. Had too many near missed in Indonesia starting from the previous rioting till now bombing. Better be careful man. :fear:

• SRC Member

I WILL BE GOING TO BATAMS FOR BUSINESS TRIPS!!!! OOOHHH NOOO!!!

*GRABS BOSS LEGS* Smeagol will be good..... good boss no send smeagol to die??? boss likes smeagol.... right??

*sorry buey ta han... i just started watch LOTR aftering buying the complete set dvd... heehee*

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

Today's news:

p1.jpg

Indonesia tightens nationwide security after terror warnings

By Devi Asmarani

Indonesia Correspondent

JAKARTA - INDONESIAN authorities have launched a nationwide security clampdown after warnings by several countries that terrorists are preparing to strike again in the run-up to Christmas.

An operation involving nearly 17,000 police personnel was in force yesterday, with stepped up patrols and tightened security for hotels, shopping malls and churches - all potential targets of Islamic militants.

'We are doing our utmost to increase our vigilance,' Jakarta Police spokesman Ciptono said.

A day earlier, Australia warned that it had received credible intelligence of an impending terrorist strike in Indonesia, possibly targeting one of three Hilton hotels located in Jakarta, Surabaya and Bali.

Britain, New Zealand and Japan too have issued warnings against non-essential travel to Indonesia, and have advised their citizens to avoid places where foreigners gather during Christmas and New Year.

In the past three years, Islamic militants have carried out major bomb attacks on a Bali nightclub, and the JW Marriott Hotel and the Australian embassy in the capital.

Yesterday, security at all Hilton hotels in Indonesia was stepped up, with armed policemen guarding the entrances.

Jakarta Hilton general manager Robert Ramey said police were also providing logistical support, with the installation of more metal detectors and closed-circuit TV systems.

With 1,100 rooms, the 28-year-old hotel in the Senayan district is a favourite meeting place for politicians and lobbyists.

Mr Ramey said yesterday the threat warning had had no major impact on its occupancy rate.

'If people checked out for security reasons, they didn't tell us.'

The Jakarta Hilton has a current 55 per cent occupancy rate. Its 256-unit apartment building is 85 per cent occupied, mostly by Japanese.

Meetings and seminars attended by government officials were still being held there yesterday. But at least one seminar organised by the Unesco agency was moved to another hotel as a precautionary measure.

The terror warnings have not deterred Singaporeans it seems.

Eight travel agents and airlines told The Straits Times they had not received any cancellations for tours and flights to the country. These are fully booked until January.

Said a spokesman for Ananda Travel: 'Things have happened in southern Thailand and Egypt and people are still travelling there for holidays. Bali is sold out until the middle of January.'

Lawyer R. Chandra Mohan, who makes regular trips to Jakarta, said: 'If you have to go for a meeting or something, you just have to go. They've been having warnings for so long anyway.'

• SRC Member

Today news:

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/041220/1/3pdgt.html

Monday December 20, 3:54 PM

Grenade found outside Jakarta Hilton hotel after terror warnings

A hand grenade was found in the grounds of the Hilton hotel in Jakarta, after warnings from Australia that extremists were planning to attack the chain's Indonesian hotels.

The grenade was discovered inside a rusty tin by a gardener working outside the Hilton and later retrieved by a police bomb squad alerted by the hotel's security, said Wuri, an offical at Jakarta's police headquarters.

Security has been stepped up at Indonesia's three Hiltons after the Australian government last week said it had credible intelligence militants were planning an imminent attack, possibly targeting a branch of the hotel.

The world's largest Muslim-populated country has suffered a series of deadly explosions blamed on Islamic extremists over the past few years, culminating in the October 2002 Bali bombings which killed 202 people, 88 of them Australian.

The hand grenade was found in a small patch of garden next to the back exit gate of the sprawling hotel complex in the south of the city, the police official said.

She said 30 officers, including a bomb squad team, had been deployed to guard the hotel.