bubble size comparison for 3 skimmer

weileong

Yeah I was thinking if the becketts have a downtube for the bubbles to travel, why not do one that does not have a downtube and just direct injection?

And since needlewheels also incorporate a venturi, why not do a custom made pump with 4 holes like a beckett instead of one?

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Yeah I was thinking if the becketts have a downtube for the bubbles to travel, why not do one that does not have a downtube and just direct injection?

And since needlewheels also incorporate a venturi, why not do a custom made pump with 4 holes like a beckett instead of one?

Blueheaven,

BEckett need the down tube to be as long as the skimmer body, this is to prevent back pressure of water from the skimmer body.

But I have seen beckett with much shorter down tube compare to the body and it still works. May be not as efficient as the normal deisgn.

I am not the expert here but I believe, every designs, there are reasons behind it.

If we trial an error and change it blindly, it might not work well. ;)

Oh thanks for the info bro, I have always thought Becketts are evolved from downdraft skimmers

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

Is all photo taken at the same place? right before the tapered portion of the chamber......just before the collection cup?

Let me know before I make a guess, else no meaning B)

All skimmer should be design to have smallest bubbles upto the tapered portion of upper reaction chamber.

Having said that, tuning plays a important factor

Regarding Beckett having a longer chamber and bubble sizes increasing up the chamber - answer is yes & no

Well Beckett have a much smaller diameter chamber compare to BK, so overall volume/size is the same. In any case the height will also depend on pump driving the beckett. Naturally a taller beckett suppose to use a bigger pump to drive it. That's why I cannot understand the logic that so many newbie out there that build 6ft beckett and run it with a Resun MD40 or MD55 :blink: What we call penny wise pound foolish.

And also there is a big diffeerence between External & Internal Needle Wheel. The external model BK/Deltec (AP1004 type model) uses a feeding pump and the needle wheel pumps to recirculate many times of whatever water volume being pumped in. For Internal Needle Wheel & Beckett, the water processing is single turn. Base on theory assuming all tuning is 100% perfect, a external needle wheel skimmer is much more efficient than the internal model.

:thanks:

• 2 weeks later...
That's why I cannot understand the logic that so many newbie out there that build 6ft beckett and run it with a Resun MD40 or MD55 :blink: What we call penny wise pound foolish.

Who? Who? :fear: How many? :ph34r:

one week worth of skimmer???

i use 1 skimmer per day and so i will get 7 skimmers???

wow..

Sorry, typo, already corrected :P

Oh yes let's congrats Amy for winning one week worth of skimmate, be rest assured we'll be feeding tons of food in to get the most nasty and smelly skimmate that you can never imagine.