List Out The Kinds Of Hardy Corals.

• SRC Member

Hrmz... different tanks have different chemistry... My tank supports Shrooms and LPSes rather well, but when it comes to softies, SURE die one. And usually within 2 days.

Suspect its due to toxins being produced by something in my tank that affects softies like toadstools very adversely...

Hrmz... different tanks have different chemistry... My tank supports Shrooms and LPSes rather well, but when it comes to softies, SURE die one. And usually within 2 days.

Suspect its due to toxins being produced by something in my tank that affects softies like toadstools very adversely...

In my tank before i add metal halide...... leather that eneter my tank will surely die..... maybe due to low lighting but after upgrading to MH not sure liao

• SRC Member

Sorry for hijacking Paiseh paiseh...

Dont think its light lehz DA, cos leather cant die in less than 2 days from poor lighting. Believe its toxins.

In fact today just bought a purple hairy shroom and a capnella.

The Shroom opened fully within 10 minutes, but up till now the capnella look like F***. Suspect the sponges in my tank releasing toxins that are affecting Softies... just my guess... Sianz~ i love softies! :(

where did you get the purple mushroom? a blue discosoma? or purple hairy mushroom??

Mushrooms are hardy...er ...I also keep fans ...but temp shouldn't be too high... :)

• SRC Member

yah... i believe so, what i experience could be different from the others....leather in my tank survive for 1 yr plus but the size shrink about 60% from what it is originally... it keep "de-skin" itself. I bought it at ard 9" in size but now left 4" only...... mushroom wise could survive ard 6 months plus but will eventually shrink and gone.... the only softies "survive well" in my tank is finger.... I kept LPS as well but their life span even shorter, ard 5 months in average..., that's why I never buy anymore LPS caused I think I've caused too much damage to the marine life due to the high turnover rate in my tank.

Sorry for hijacking Paiseh paiseh...

Dont think its light lehz DA, cos leather cant die in less than 2 days from poor lighting. Believe its toxins.

In fact today just bought a purple hairy shroom and a capnella.

The Shroom opened fully within 10 minutes, but up till now the capnella look like F***. Suspect the sponges in my tank releasing toxins that are affecting Softies... just my guess... Sianz~ i love softies! :(

Haiz maybe you are right... anyway I am not having leathers anymore

• SRC Member
Change your water frequently and by rights you should'nt be facing such problems? :rolleyes:

water changing is the most effective solution for sure but not for long run.... how many of us can afford to change water as we did in keeping FW fish? i believe more in keeping the bio load low and more biological filtration method+ big valoume tank. but these will need a lot of money to be setup especially the big tank itself.. .

• SRC Member

Tigershark> Thats odd, I always thought they were supposed to increase in size each time they slough off that waxy membrane...

Soft Corals are famed for being insiduous killers, as in they release toxins into the water that affect other corals downstream... Invisible chemical warfare :P

Using carbon make help to minimise the effects of the toxins :)

Looking for the ultra long polyp fiji toadstool... :wub: