Need recommendation on Pump & Skimmer

Khaw

• SRC Member

Basically, you just need to cater a pump which can provide total water movement about 8 to 14 times the tank volume.

For skimmer, there are many options available in the market and depending on your preference whether to opt for needle or pin wheel impeller or Beckett.

Sorry can't advice here as it depends on how much do you want to spend but I can't stress enough that you must not skimp on this piece of equipment.

So have a good budget for this fella because a less powerful skimmer would affects your water quality.

• SRC Member

Skimmer - definitely a H&S

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

Thanks. Few more doubt to verify.

How am I going to connect the pipe to the pump? Observed that some pump w/o adaptor at the outlet.

What is the diameter of the piping normally use? I need to find a pump outlet diameter matching the piping right? Worry that the connection will get loose and the water spray all over the cabinet. :paiseh:

• SRC Member

hi khaw...

wat i will suggest u to do is to really read up the threads here and other websites eg reef central....

after u have understand the neccessary basics....and are still unsure about some finer points....then u post a topic here....and watever the reefers here answer u...u will at least know wat we are talking abt.

1) H & S is a brand of a skimmer.

2) Most pump outlets can fit a normal rubber hose.if u r still unsure...check with the LFS.

hope this helps.... :lol:

• SRC Member

Do check out some of the members tank thread for more info.

You will need to decide on your return pump first. They have diff dimension. Then you can decide what to buy for your piping. There is no fixed size to use.

However the common sizes for PVC pipings are 20mm, 25mm, 40mm.

I will suggest a EHEIM 1262 a mininum as a return.

Thank for all advise. Actually I intend to get the tank maker to fix everything for me, so I just need to get ready a pump :D . Base on my tank size I need as least 3500 L/hr, right?

Now to decide which model to purchase ;) . Seriously, I don't feel like spending few hundred dollar for a so call high end product make from German or etc. Just thinking to get one below hundred. Any recommendation?

ur budget of less than $100 is for pump or skimmer?

for budget skimmer you can consider getting the Macro...

for pump you can try the MD55?

i think someone is selling in SRC...u might wanna do a search for it...

Thank. I'm looking for submerge type. Think it is more safety. I may be wrong.

Thank for all advise. The high power consumption and heat generation for MD55 is also something that I have worried.

Since I've bought the MD55, the only thing I can do now is to monitor the temperature of my tank and think of ways to use it for multi-purpose (e.g. connect to a T-join for return hose and skimmer). Not sure is it workable?

May consider to change to other pump if needed.

Get a real Iwaki MD55 then it will run much cooler.

Just for your info, I had a resun MD40 that decided to overheat one day, started to burn and trip my whole house. Luckily was around 7am in the morning and the trip caused my UPS alarm to go off and I managed to jump out of bed to salvage the situation.