HELP - PERCULA PROBLEM!

hi

i have this 2 clown perculas for about 3 months

lately a firefish died due to their constant harrasement! The firefish hides in this hole and never came out even for food. i tried feeding and such but it seems so diff bcos everytime the firefish sees me ... it hides. sometimes you can get to see him but after a while, the perculas i have go berserk and just starts biting him!

now, i ve gotten 2 fourstripe damsels and they are too being harrased!

man ... i really do not know what to do

i place them in quarantine baskets in the tank hoping they would calm down. any takers for comments and other recommendations on taming the clowns?

• SRC Member
hi

i have this 2 clown perculas for about 3 months

lately a firefish died due to their constant harrasement! The firefish hides in this hole and never came out even for food. i tried feeding and such but it seems so diff bcos everytime the firefish sees me ... it hides. sometimes you can get to see him but after a while, the perculas i have go berserk and just starts biting him!

now, i ve gotten 2 fourstripe damsels and they are too being harrased!

man ... i really do not know what to do

i place them in quarantine baskets in the tank hoping they would calm down. any takers for comments and other recommendations on taming the clowns?

Do it the other way round, keep the clownfishes in the Q basket and release the other fishes into the tank. After 1 week then release your clownfishes in.

Eric

• SRC Member
Hi,

It's quite strange as normally percula r quite tame, do u have any anemone or coral to host them? They should be happy with their host and stop bothering others.

B)

I agree. I have many clowns and they are generally more agressive towards the same species. Come to think of it, mine does not bother any other fishes and the other fishes also "bo chap" them. They are like living in different dimensions in the same tank.

hi guys

firstly - this thread didnt really turn up in my inbox ... i was quite curious why the channel was so quiet ... until i do a search on my own nickname. any idea how when ppl reply i know?

anyhow ... i place them in a quarantine basket ... but due to my mistake of trying to add a rock into the environment - so its seems new, i acidentally trip it and there goes ... clown are free

but today when i check ... they are swimming at the front not bothering the damsels which are at the back of the tank

i m having a new50g ... will it be a problem next time if i wanna add new fishes>

i mean - 2clown & 2 damsels are quite aggresive. any takers to help me tame them? or at least teach me the way to do it?

another question - how do i catch them everytime i wanna add new lifestock? wouldnt aqauscaping be a problem?

Hi,

It's quite strange as normally percula r quite tame, do u have any anemone or coral to host them? They should be happy with their host and stop bothering others.

nope

no anemone - mayb i should get one --- but i m shifting tanks soon! like in 3 days time

agree. I have many clowns and they are generally more agressive towards the same species. Come to think of it, mine does not bother any other fishes and the other fishes also "bo chap" them. They are like living in different dimensions in the same tank.

mine? killed firefish & now harrasing my 2 damsels - i repeat DAMSELS~

nope

no anemone - mayb i should get one --- but i m shifting tanks soon! like in 3 days time

mine? killed firefish & now harrasing my 2 damsels - i repeat DAMSELS~

;)

then u should ask for some anemone which is not much moving. dun choose those long tentacle 1. coz they move all around ur tank. u will suffer on finding where ur anemone goes, coz they r looking place which is suitable and comfortable.

i can show u my anemone pic tomolo. i place it since i buy till now. i use some rock to block him from moving too much. hahahaha....

those long tentacle 1 "commom anemone" i have 2, and i gave to ppl when im really "pek check". although they r cheaper.

but this is juz my experience lah.... correct me if im wrong.

• SRC Member
U don need an anenome.. my clown hosts itself occasionally in a hammer coral.. but most of the time it stays under some rocks...

Watch out for the anemone, you don't want it to be caught in the return pump, if it dies it will release toxin in your tank and you will have a wipe out, not recommended if you are new to his hobby.

Firefish are very shy fishes with or without the clowns, likely to jump out of the tank, if you want to keep them, they should be the first fish to put in your aquarium, the less crowded the better.

Damsels (other than the chromis) are a pesky nuisance and a beginners fish because they are hardy and good to use for cycling of a new tank. Damsels also like to dig up the sand beds and make a mess and some are agressive and will chase other fihes around, the other scrappy fish is the royal dottyback, aggressive and like to chase other fishes too, so please do some research on fish behaviour and compatabilities before buying as once it is in your tank, it will be very difficult to take out.

I must admit your percula clowns are a bit PERCULiAr to chase other species around, normally they will do to their own kind.

hi guys

thanks for d feedback

i manage to tame my clowns

woo hoo i m so happy now that they share the neighbourhood with the damsels

i m still looking out at the damsels

i know they are aggresive but my other half just really like the fish

well now the fish is in the tank

4-stripe damsels ... thou they seem a lil sissy

hahaha ,,,, anyhow

any recommendations of putting em in the new tank?

i just got a 3 feet

if they are no good ... i might not put them in

and oh! .... i got 2 of em