Comments/Advice on 14000K MH bulbs

scarab

• SRC Member

Bro, I was using the Arcadia 14kk bulbs and have sinced changed to the BLV 10kk. The Arcadia's are very dim compared to the BLV's. Not much growth compared to what I am seeing now with the BLVs.

Are you supplementing it with Actinics? If so, then I think you should go for the 10kk since the actinics will cancel out the 'yellowness'.

As for coloration, I dunt know if its the blv's or zeovit or maybe a combination of both, my SPSes are coloring up and 1 month of the BLVs contributed to a lot of differences in coloration.

At a lfs I saw, the center bulb is a Phoenix 14.4k and its noticably dimmer than the left and right of the tank. Maybe its the best place for you to visually compare the outlook. :)

• SRC Member

Yup supplmenting with blue and actinics T5s but think I'm losing some colours especially red which tend to look a bit dull in my tank. Even red LPS looks different if i place the same piece in another reefer's tank running 14k or full T5s.

Anyone have this experience?

Aqua Connect 14000K has been getting rave reviews on RC. Really tempted to change.

Thats for the SE version. Are you using SE or DE?

I believe the DE version for AC is made in Japan.

scarab is using the DE version if i m not wrong. ;) btw, there is no SE for phoenix.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Yup, basically, the AC/Phoenix 14kk has the highest PAR for the 14kk range but cant really compare to the BLV 10kk for brightness and PAR.

The uniqueness of the AC14kk lies in the spike in the actinics (420nm-450nm?) range which makes the corals glow even without actinics supplementation so you can use the 14kk without actinics..

Some of the senior reefers here are using the Phoenix 14kk and swear by it :)

• SRC Member

Think Phoenix Manufacture for AC.. I'm using the DE phoenix 14,000K actually it's Phoenix 10,000Kelvin... Its white... crisp white... Unlike other brands like BLV CoralVue etc the 10,000K are yellowish...

Phoenix one is crisp white... no hint of yellow at all.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
Think Phoenix Manufacture for AC.. I'm using the DE phoenix 14,000K actually it's Phoenix 10,000Kelvin... Its white... crisp white... Unlike other brands like BLV CoralVue etc the 10,000K are yellowish...

Phoenix one is crisp white... no hint of yellow at all.

Now I'm confused. :huh:

How come 14KK bulbs can become 10KK? :o

bro, dug up a review done by Hon some time back........ enjoy. :)

:off: i'll be back soon, remember to bring me go cheong LFS hor, lost touch liao. :P

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...6409&hl=phoenix

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
Yup, basically, the AC/Phoenix 14kk has the highest PAR for the 14kk range but cant really compare to the BLV 10kk for brightness and PAR.

The uniqueness of the AC14kk lies in the spike in the actinics (420nm-450nm?) range which makes the corals glow even without actinics supplementation so you can use the 14kk without actinics..

Some of the senior reefers here are using the Phoenix 14kk and swear by it :)

Anyway heard that nobody bring in AC bulbs to S'pore, so will have to go for Phoenix 14kk if I change.

Thanks bro. You no need me to bring you cheong lah. Every week got SPS shipment, so don't worry.

no worries. ;) see u soon. :D

that's what i meant by lost touch liao........ last time, used to wait till neck long long then hv sps shipments. <_<

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

u can go victron's website to check out.. phoenix rate it as 10,000Kelvin but due to the colour difference from normal 10,000Kelvin, it is more of 14,000Kelvin as it is crisp white unlike normal one whcih are yellowish. So Victron rate it approx 10,000Kelvin

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

I am using 14K Phoenix bulb - the growth ... varies. ;) Eg. digi and millipora growth was noticeable. The color I am quite satisfied.. I am still seeing some of my sps changing their color slowly. But the PAR really cannot compare to BLV ... was thinking of blasting my sps with another MH bulb.

Only yesterday I change to 10K BLV to see the difference..I am still monitoring the color change.

• SRC Member
I am using 14K Phoenix bulb - the growth ... varies. ;) Eg. digi and millipora growth was noticeable. The color I am quite satisfied.. I am still seeing some of my sps changing their color slowly. But the PAR really cannot compare to BLV ... was thinking of blasting my sps with another MH bulb.

Only yesterday I change to 10K BLV to see the difference..I am still monitoring the color change.

Oh shucks another reefer changing to 10kk..... :o while I'm trying to convince myself to change from 10kk to 14kk. :pinch::pinch:

Decisions, decisions.

Anyone else can share on the effectiveness of 14kk??? :unsure::unsure: