Why DSB?

Lin

• SRC Member

hi guys

Is DSB impt? current tank is 2ft, sand #0 is 2"

I ned to read article on DSB,can some one direct me? or simply explain to me y we ned? thinking of adding more sand in, does it affect any things in there now? how deep is deep? :unsure: sorry for the inconvince cause.... :thanks:

• SRC Member

a DSB is what people consider to be 4" - 6" of sand. The purpose of this is to create an area at the bottom of the sandbed where there is little to no oxygen available, leading to the growth of anaerobic bacteria. This bacteria derives its oxygen for metabolism by breaking down nitrates (NO3) into harmless nitrogen gas (N2) which then slowly escapes the tank via the water above. Therefore, the purpose of a DSB is to process nitrates (produced by fish waste and other decomposing matter in the tank) into nitrogen. Note though, that a DSB can take anywhere from 6 months to a year to mature, ie. become effective at what it is supposed to do.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

Please use the search bar at the bottom of the page of the sub forum and key in DSB. You'll find a lot of discussions on it

I did it...and here is a long long list (though not all are useful, but its a start):

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...cs&highlite=dsb