Appearance of Water Ripples

MH is the surest thing as it is a strong point-source light.

An LED bulb is also a point-source light, you will get the ripple-effect.

It's hard for FL or PL tubes to get this effect due to the light being spread out over a long area.

It's possible to get this effect with strong FL/PL, but it will be restricted to just one tiny area, perhaps due to a spot of water having heavier water turbulence, thus causing enough 'lens' effect to make a tiny ripple effect.

;)

Thanks brother :lol:

Since I am fairly green in these terms, can I ask a few more questions based on your reply? :thanks:

1) What are LED bulbs? Where can I read about them? Because I am concerned about their intensity (for corals and anemones), the heat production and the costing.

Quite curious on what are the difference between LED bulbs and MH bulbs.

2) If FL/PL can achieve that effect on a tiny spot, will the ripple appearance reach the sand? Will be good if it can go down all the way instead of just on the rock near to the water surface.

3) If answer to 2 is yes. Then what is the wattage / specification of FL / PL that I should be looking for?

:thanks:

Hmmm, I'm kinda busy now, maybe u do a google on LED lights first?

Here's a good thread with links to start u off on general reef lighting.

I have no clue to how intense the light wattage for T5/PL should be and how much water surface turbulence you need to replicate a good 'glitter line' effect.

If the ripple effect is just for visual aesthetics, then perhaps DIYing a row of white LED bulbs may give you that.

• SRC Member

Very rare for FL/PL to create shimmering effect on the sandbed.. get a MH and hang it higher to get more shimmering. The only way to get this effect is to have point source light. meaning the light is only emmited at a point unlike FL/PL which emits light throughout the length of the long tube.. LED is a Light Emmiting Diode. does not emit intense light thus not capable of sustaining corals etc. LED more for moonlight usage. Get MH...

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

you can have ripple effect using T5....but it will be mainly restricted to the top part of your tank....i', using T5 and have my powerhead output near the surface of the tank....there are ripple effect, but it does not extent beyond 3-4 inches....:P