Pairing Maroon Clownfish

• SRC Member
I don't have experience of pairing clownfishes but IMO, it's easier and faster for u to buy a pair from LFS. They do come in from time to time. FYI, male maroon clown is smaller size and bright red in colour.

Problem is... I have two maroon fishes which I buy from different shops... :pinch:

Other than getting them both drunk and putting them in bed together in an anemone; what else can I do? :whistle

• SRC Member

I do have much luck in pairing clowns. So far I have successfully paired 6 pairs of maroon clowns. But unfortunately none has spawn yet, I am still investigating the proper setup for them to spawn.

Basically I have a few points for you to take note:

1. The 2 fishes have to be introduced into the tank at the same time. I usually run around the farms/shops when the season for maroon clown is in. Then I would buy about 2 from each shop, so that I have at least 4 clowns. This is because I want to eliminate inbreeding as there may be siblings in the same shop. So I pair fishes from different shops. In the event that there are no other suitable candidates, I will have 2 fishes from the same store, which I can introduce at the same time.

2. There should not be any other clown fishes in the tank and the tank size should be at least 2 feet. This is to provide some space for the 2 clown fishes to manuvour as there is bound to be some initial fighting to establish pecking order.

3. I normally choose clown fishes that are less than 2 inches. Preferably 1.5 inches. This is just my theory as I have read that juvenile clown fishes are still drones (sexless) and the ###### will only be determine once the pecking order is established. In this way, it is easier for the more dominant clown to become female.

I find that once the fighting cease, there will be one clown fish that will grow significantly larger, which I believe is the female. and the pairing is being established.

This is just my experimental observations and experience. Maybe some other reefers may care to share, or to correct me on my misinformation (for which I apologize first).

• SRC Member
I do have much luck in pairing clowns. So far I have successfully paired 6 pairs of maroon clowns. But unfortunately none has spawn yet, I am still investigating the proper setup for them to spawn.

Basically I have a few points for you to take note:

1. The 2 fishes have to be introduced into the tank at the same time. I usually run around the farms/shops when the season for maroon clown is in. Then I would buy about 2 from each shop, so that I have at least 4 clowns. This is because I want to eliminate inbreeding as there may be siblings in the same shop. So I pair fishes from different shops. In the event that there are no other suitable candidates, I will have 2 fishes from the same store, which I can introduce at the same time.

2. There should not be any other clown fishes in the tank and the tank size should be at least 2 feet. This is to provide some space for the 2 clown fishes to manuvour as there is bound to be some initial fighting to establish pecking order.

3. I normally choose clown fishes that are less than 2 inches. Preferably 1.5 inches. This is just my theory as I have read that juvenile clown fishes are still drones (sexless) and the ###### will only be determine once the pecking order is established. In this way, it is easier for the more dominant clown to become female.

I find that once the fighting cease, there will be one clown fish that will grow significantly larger, which I believe is the female. and the pairing is being established.

This is just my experimental observations and experience. Maybe some other reefers may care to share, or to correct me on my misinformation (for which I apologize first).

Thanks for the info.

But I've already put the bigger maroon(2.5inch) into my 3ft main tank with the anemone. The other slightly smaller maroon (2.0inch) is in my 2ft tank.

I think I'll try to get another anemone and position it on the other corner of the tank and slowly intro the other maroon in. :peace:

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

LoL just thought I should just add on to this old thread. :lol:

I had a large female in one of my tanks. I got a small male placed in a tupperware in the same tank for 3-4 days. Each time I let him out he would get wacked by the female.

So I removed the female into another tank, and let the male out into the tank to let it get accustomed to the surroundings. About 5 days later, I just net the female and placed it into the same tank as the male. The smaller male immediately went into submissive behavior by rubbing against the female's belly and swimming slowly up and down. Been leaving them for an hour already, so far everything seems to be going well. :heh:

post-54-1138169875.jpg

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

We have successfully mated Maroon Clowns which subsequently spawned.

From our experience, do not take the bigger clown out of the tank for too long or the male would grow big enough and become aggressive. More fierce fights would resulted from this.

We got a transparent barrack to separate them. This way the female would grow use to the sight of the male. We let the male out a few times a day to let the female chase him and let him have a chance to submit.

Once the male submit to the female, the job is almost done. Pop your champagne when the female lets the male share her anemone. Ours took about 3 months!

Anemone would definitely enhance spawning chances. Stable water condition and surrounding (ie.no rearrangement of corals and rocks) are also important.

I have paired my golden maroon clowns before. The trick is to get two that are very different in size. If one is not much bigger than the other, then they will fight non stop until a champion emerges. However, if there is a much bigger one, the smaller one will know that he is no match for her and the fighting ceases.

My previous maroon clowns:

sdsc021495hv.th.jpgsdsc021161yv.th.jpg

sdsc021205sz.th.jpgsdsc021193ub.th.jpg

maroons20do.th.jpgmaroons12po.th.jpg

:eyebrow:

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

• SRC Member

Me too have a pair of maroons..As for mine, i keep my female for a long time and than tried to intro a male.. but the first candidate is 0/10 for her as her nearly killed him..also, he just doesn't want to give in to her and always attck her back whenever she launges at him..

Than came my little 1 inch maroon clown from ML..so snall and cute...Put them togather and he submitted at once.. Also, she allowed him to enter her anemone straight away!!...Not yet spawn yet..