Chiller

best avoid under the cabinet unless your cabinet has a lot of ventilation for hot air to escape. ;) If space allowed, best placed in cool and well ventilated places.

• SRC Member
best avoid under the cabinet unless your cabinet has a lot of ventilation for hot air to escape. ;) If space allowed, best placed in cool and well ventilated places.

I m thinking of putting everything into the cabinet, so that it will not look so ugly u see...

any other solutions?

• SRC Member

I m thinking of putting everything into the cabinet, so that it will not look so ugly u see...

any other solutions?

as mentioned... try to put the chiller outside. Otherwise, your chiller will overwork and waste more electricity. It will also cause your chiller to break down faster. The only way to put the chiller in the cabinet is to provide lots of ventilation.

Hey guys, where do you guys place the chiller?

Inside the cabinet or outside?

If i wan to put my chiller inside the cabinet, how do i do the piping? and will the heat given out by the chiller be any concern?

Here's mine.

IMHO, find it not too good to place it inside cabinet although the manual do state an option for that. For Resun, the air to cool the condenser coil is drawn from the front to the back. U can really feel that air out is quite hot (if not hot => bad heat exchange => going to spoil) Hence, if that hot air is not being remove as quick as possible, that would means the ambient temp surrounding the chiller rise. Then, how would the condenser coil and the compressor well cool? Finally, it may spoil faster.

However, another option would be to install some fans behind the cabinet to draw out those hot air. All and all, must have ways for the hot air to escape fast.

Cheers!

post-6-1101394353.jpg

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

• SRC Member

its true that u need to put it outside

if u put inside the heat gets trapped in and some heat will be conducted back to the tank via sump waters....so better put ouside....besides...chillers not that ugly so u can dun mind putting it outside

can recommend some quiet and cheap chillers? my budget not that high. in addition, i still don't quite understand the piping of the chiller. are the holes pre-drilled in the main tank just for the chiller? :(

To connect a chiller is so much easier than configurating for sump tank. And u don't have to drill your tank. It's really so flexible and can let you alots of freedom in the setup, because the chiller is just like a cannister filter without filter element. Fully enclosed n water tight.

OPTION 1

Suggest from manual is to use the same return pump in the sump tank instead of returning back direct to the main tank, break it and let it push water through the chiller.

sump->pump->main tank, become sump->pump->chiller->main tank.

Simple and straightforward, especially if the return pump is strong enough.

OPTION 2 (like me, small sump tank wif pump not too strong)

Use a set of those Ehiem (or any other non-brands, or DIY like me) inlet/outlet U shape pipe for its cannister filter.

Get a Ehiem pump (As mentioned, Ehiem pump is well known to able to operate out of water, other brand for that proven purpose may have to pay even much more), and connect as such,

Inlet pipe->valve->pump->chiller->Outlet pipe

The valve will allow u to control the flow slight for fine tunning the temperature.

That simple, isn't it?

Cheers!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

• SRC Member

To connect a chiller is so much easier than configurating for sump tank. And u don't have to drill your tank. It's really so flexible and can let you alots of freedom in the setup, because the chiller is just like a cannister filter without filter element. Fully enclosed n water tight.

OPTION 1

Suggest from manual is to use the same return pump in the sump tank instead of returning back direct to the main tank, break it and let it push water through the chiller.

sump->pump->main tank, become sump->pump->chiller->main tank.

Simple and straightforward, especially if the return pump is strong enough.

OPTION 2 (like me, small sump tank wif pump not too strong)

Use a set of those Ehiem (or any other non-brands, or DIY like me) inlet/outlet U shape pipe for its cannister filter.

Get a Ehiem pump (As mentioned, Ehiem pump is well known to able to operate out of water, other brand for that proven purpose may have to pay even much more), and connect as such,

Inlet pipe->valve->pump->chiller->Outlet pipe

The valve will allow u to control the flow slight for fine tunning the temperature.

That simple, isn't it?

Cheers!

would ehiem 1262 be strong enough for the 1st option that you have suggest?

• 1 month later...