Qns on keeping Tangs

• SRC Member

hello guys...i'm very interested in tangs and would like to keep all of them

aniwae...would like to hear comments on ease of rearing of the different kinds...jus feel free to add a name and how tough or easy it is ESP regarding prob of ich since tangs are ich magnets.

allow me to start it off...hm...i'm thinking of getting powder blue and brown....r they tough?...also yellow....purple....redsea sailfin bla bla

pls respond

thanks

• SRC Member

The powder series should be attempted if you are successfull with the 'easier' species like sailfin, kole,yellow.

The most difficult will be AT in my limited experience.

The thing to note is dat usually tangs will do well in matured reefs. Matured meaning at least 6 months old. Pls not that cycled tanks and matured tanks are 2 completely different things.

:)

• SRC Member

[quote name=The powder series should be attempted if you are successfull with the 'easier' species like sailfin' date=' kole,yellow.

The most difficult will be AT in my limited experience.

The thing to note is dat usually tangs will do well in matured reefs. Matured meaning at least 6 months old. Pls not that cycled tanks and matured tanks are 2 completely different things.

ok

luckily u mentioned this...was gonna get the blue and brown powders this weekend and my tank is only 3weeks old after cycling

one quest about fighting...its true that tangs will fight and so its best to add them together or within short time intervals of each other

however, in the light of wat u haf jus said...i haf already added 2 sailfin tangs in and if i haf to wait 6mths to get my powders, fighting is sure to break out...so wat should i do to prevnt such fighting?

how bout regal tangs?....anione to comment on it please

• SRC Member

right

does using uv and cleaners help in controlling the ich?

ok alfaromeo... i haf 2 sailfins...correct me if i'm wrong...would it be ok to continue on with a yellow and a purple and wait for the tank to b more mature b4 adding the rest like powders?

• SRC Member
how bout regal tangs?....anione to comment on it please

regal are ICH kIng! as so far i noe (1yr ago i failed to save one) if u intend to get, go for a bigger size one, they are more hardy.. ;) juz my 2cents

• SRC Member

do not keep tnags of the same genus together..u need a much more bigger tank if u wan to keep 2sialfin purple n yellow together..

just my 2cent..

correct mi if i am wrong..i now only have a 5inch sailfin with mi in my 4 footer..n will only add a kole BT n powder brown..thats all for tangs :)

• SRC Member

i had a pacific sailfin tang when i first finish my cycling process. he took only few hours to get used to new enviroment, started nipping on my LRs for algae and always spotted swimming around... so i presume that he is quite good for a new tank..

• SRC Member
right

does using uv and cleaners help in controlling the ich?

UV kill bad and good bacteria present in ur tank. Use a isolated tank while using UV. Cleaner like cleaner wrasse and cleaner shrimps dun clean whitespots. juz my 2cents.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

Yellows and purples are good for beginners.

But both can be quite aggressive unless provided a big tank.

Both a small regal last time... kanna bully by my Yellow till got permanent itch... then have to give it away to save its life.. :pinch:

When introducing new tangs there will most definately be a case of itch, it will normally clear up within a week or two, if not then something might be wrong with the water parameters or other tank inhabitants.

My 2cents ;)

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member

Taking one step forward on Ekia's comment.

UV Sterilizer will not adversely affect the fish or beneficial nitrifying bacteria as they're in the filteration system or sand bed and not "free floating" in the tank.

So how to "kill" them? ;)

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member
i had a pacific sailfin tang when i first finish my cycling process. he took only few hours to get used to new enviroment, started nipping on my LRs for algae and always spotted swimming around... so i presume that he is quite good for a new tank..

ya

so true so true

sailfins r very gd...very brave

• SRC Member
u can try blue tang also.. the key one is do it slowly.. get all your current tang health up to the level of resisent to ich be4 going for other..if not once ich break out and loss control.. u can say bye bye to all your fish..

i once read from many sources that to prevent fighting...its best to add all the tangs together...but i also undersatnd from yr pt that its best to add slowly to ensure the survival of the tangs.

these 2 pts r very contradicting...i wish for my tangs to be stable but that would mean having to wait and that means fighting is almost inevitable

can anione advice on this?

• SRC Member

i once read from many sources that to prevent fighting...its best to add all the tangs together...but i also undersatnd from yr pt that its best to add slowly to ensure the survival of the tangs.

these 2 pts r very contradicting...i wish for my tangs to be stable but that would mean having to wait and that means fighting is almost inevitable

can anione advice on this?

well it's all depend on your luck...

cause sometime with the same type of tang.. u lucky enough able to get those frenly and non firece one..

also it's depend on how u choose fish.. and how big your tank is..

I got 2 tang inside my 187gal tank, got a blue tang that is already 3 yrs plus inside along.. until half a yr ago i add another tang.. also no fight.. now just add another power blue also no real fight..