Green hair agae

micyong

IMHO,

Should be ending cycle with high nitrate, but please check with test kit(s). Maybe something rotting inside, sniff over the tank. Try off light totally, and do partial water change with filtered water (distilled, deionised, etc thats free from nitrate and ammonia).

signature2.jpg

If you have green hair algae (GHA) and its isolated on one piece of rock, try to remove the rock and kill the hair algae by brushing it off the rock and rinsing it off in a saltwater bucket (try to get any strands back in your tank). Worse case, you should dispose off the rock or bleach it in the sun and you can reuse it again to be recolonised by bacteria/microlife in your sump.

If you are still cycling... you can switch off your lights to prevent it from coming back.

Try to use good phosphate-absorbers like Contraphos Konzentrat or Rowaphos to bring down phosphate as its a fuel that GHA can use.

• SRC Member
If you have green hair algae (GHA) and its isolated on one piece of rock, try to remove the rock and kill the hair algae by brushing it off the rock and rinsing it off in a saltwater bucket (try to get any strands back in your tank). Worse case, you should dispose off the rock or bleach it in the sun and you can reuse it again to be recolonised by bacteria/microlife in your sump.

If you are still cycling... you can switch off your lights to prevent it from coming back.

Try to use good phosphate-absorbers like Contraphos Konzentrat or Rowaphos to bring down phosphate as its a fuel that GHA can use.

Hi, are GHA that bad?

I mean is it okie to leave it alone in the tank? What will happen if we do that? :huh:

• SRC Member
Believe me,

GHA is 2nd on my list of most hated reef problems.

I guess your number 1 is FLATWORMS?

Alternatively you can scrub off the hair algae from the rock, instead of bleaching it, place it in the sump where there is no/minimum light for a couple of weeks, they will be gone.

• SRC Member

I notice on my tank, the glass - There is LTITLE LTITLE plants on it. alittle greenish. and kinda like lots of them.

And 2nd, I notice brown aglae - some on the sandbed, some on the glass too!! arrwWEEWW!!

What m i to do? r these healthy? must i add any addictives?

• SRC Member
I notice on my tank, the glass - There is LTITLE LTITLE plants on it. alittle greenish. and kinda like lots of them.

And 2nd, I notice brown aglae - some on the sandbed, some on the glass too!! arrwWEEWW!!

What m i to do? r these healthy? must i add any addictives?

GHA: get some cleaners

brown algae = diatoms

Do u use RO/DI water? cos tapwater got silicate/ silica

I have a little brown algae growth everytime i topup / change water. But they'll go away after a few days becos of snails and no more silicate/silica for them.