read this article about No2, do i bother about no2

andysho

• SRC Member

In this month's RK magazine, Randy Holmes-Farley has an article about water parameters in which he writes:

"Aquarists' concerns about nitrite are usually imported from the freshwater hobby. Nitrite is far less toxic in seawater than in freshwater. Fish are typically able to survive in seawater with more than 100 ppm nitrite! Until future experiments show substantial nitrite toxicity to reef aquarium inhabitants, nitrite is not an important parameter for reef aquarists to monitor. Tracking nitrite in a new reef aquarium can nevertheless be instructive by showing the biochemical processes that are taking place. In most cases, I do not recommend that aquarists bother to measure nitrite in established aquaria."

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

welcome all comments :D

but being nitrite, it wld eventually break down into nitrates right? in the end, will result in high nitrate levels........ then wldn't it be undesirable to ur sps?

juz me 2 cents.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
interesting.....does it mean that dun have to wait for the AN cycle to complete and can just add fish when the Amonia cycle is over???? Maybe that explains why some bro are able to start putting in fishes after a short cycle time....

High nitrite might be tolerated by most of the SW fishes but not those sensitive corals.....

Eric