Anyone tried the sugar method to combact cyano?

Eric

• SRC Member
Anyone just complete his/her 'O' or 'A' chemistry...

Trying yo recall back my 11 yrs ago chemistry equation.

Ethanol = C2H5OH

If Nitrate which is NO3

and add them up together, I think we'll get

6NO3 + 2C2H5OH = 3N2 + 4CO2 + 4H2 + 5O2 + 2H2O :yeah:

... but both Ethanol and Nitrate are stable as it self.

Not sure if 'heat' is required to get the chain reaction going.

Anyway , the equation is base on my 11 years ago memory .. :heh:

yes u will required some form of hot hot heat to make that kind of chain reaction..

but for your info adding vodka into the tank is not for yuor n03 chain reaction lor.. it's for your bactera to consume

• SRC Member
it's vodka..

and eric seeing the way u r doing thing... u r just asking for trouble..

1st u dont even have full understanding.. and u just happy happy pour whatever amount as u like...

the only thing u see is your skimmer forming only.. this is not what u should look out..

and for your info... cyano wont go away even u use vodka or zeovit.. where u reach n03 and p04...

with poor nutirent cyano can still survive.. and it will take strong current flow and months be4 u see result...

gd luck to u.. and hope u dont have a crash tank...which i believe a couple of your sps are already rtn right...

2 frags STN thoughout the whole process..........I discontinue the dripping & do a 40% water change after the green algaes die off. The cyano did disappear for a few days before reappearing, I think it shuld be the nutrients from the green algae die off.

Now I'm using reduce feeding and weekly water change to reduce the nutrients.

eric

• SRC Member

I realised that is not the only potential problem with sugar dripping.

I was doing some experiment on a DIY coil denitrator. In order to create more bacteria culture , someone did mentioned about adding sugar. It's the quantity that I forgotten.

So I added some concentrated sugar solution...

(actual need only a few grains of sugar) :blink:

The next thing I know, I got sugar dripping into my tank.

Now, I have a a small blue tang that's have ich problem. It's recovering quick well...Until the introduction of the sugar concentration.... :ph34r: .... It's full of white spot. Both eye's are bit of cloudy. :pinch: Did a water change immediately.

Good news.... the baby is still eating well. After a couple of days... like 5-6 days... the white spots lessen a lot. One eye is still cloudy but I reckon it'll be over in no time.

Thank goodness the tank didn't crash or the Tang is still alive and kicking.

Anyway, guess we have to be more careful the next time round. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Anyway, guess we have to be more careful the next time round. :rolleyes:

Like I mention early before.. it's got nothing to be careful or not. The issue is you fully understand how this very method work or not..

For any given method, if you dont fully understand and just try it out. U r only asking for trouble.

Take a look in this thread, everyday got so many ppls posting asking for help on simple issue which they should know before they jump into marine keeping..

help like "what is the correct temp for the tank", "Which lighting should I go for", "What is DSB", "How to make salt water", "What is the require thickness of the tank", "Why need LR".

Pls all these questions you guys should know before you ever start marine tank. If you dont know they is so many books around that teach you step by step to building marine tank and all these questions are already been answer in all these book. :cry:

• SRC Member
100% with you bro. ...

only problem is I have a DIY ich that cannot be cured! :upsidedown:

seriously, read before you do it is a good policy to follow...

and listern to 'old folks' ... they had more marine salt for dinner .

ich is something that come and go and it always come in marine no matter what method u do...

cause some can claim their tank is ich free.. try ask them to stress their fish and we see ich growing at their fish out of no where from their ich free tank..

so long you get your fish eating and having output and get those cleaner shrimp... and correct water parameter it will not be an issue.

• 1 year later...