Anyone uses a redox meter?

• SRC Member

I have been using a Pinpoint redox meter for 6 years now. Was wondering if there is a need to change the probe because LFS tells me there isn't a need to. So far, the reading seems alright to me as it is not giving me "off" readings.

I maintain it by cleaning the sensor bulb and scrape the tiny tube worms that have nestled there but I am a bit paranoid. It cannot be that good, right? Afterall, the PH probe needs to be changed regularly when it starts giving suspicious readings and no amount of calibration will get it back into line. Or maybe the redox is just like the conductivity meter...buy it once and it will last you eons. It may be more worthwhile than I thought.

Also is there any calibration fluid for redox meters? Anyone seen them around? Its the only way I know if there is still life to my redox probe.

That's cool... to have one!

Do you use ozone? I think it would be good to see the redox changes after using ozone.

I don't have a redox meter so I can't really comment. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
                         Do you use ozone? I think it would be good to see the redox changes after using ozone.

Yep, use ozone before but not anymore since it gave up on me. Not easy to find a good one around nowadays. Used to pump the ozone directly into my RSB skimmer. It's the only time where I used the attachment chamber (filled with activated carbon) placed on top of the collection cup. When I was using it, my ORP went up to 350 mV. Without the ozonizer, its impossible for me to reach that level again now. The highest I could get to now is 250 mV, which is 50 mV short from the ideal but that's OK. Nothing disastrous. However, I did observe that the brown diatomic algae hardly ever grew on the glass surface, LR and gravel bed when I was using ozone. The tank was crystal clean! I think one of the reason for this is that the unstable O3 (Ozone) eagerly dissociate itself to organic phosphate (PO3) by changing its state to inorganic phosphate (PO4). Theoretically speaking, by eliminating one growth factor would be enough to retard the multiplication of those nuisance diatoms. Alas, now I have to scrape the glass once a week.

At the moment, I am just using my ORP probe on its own minus the ozoniser. The probe is still useful to me in the sense that based on the regular ORP signature,

I can tell if there is something decomposing

Someone did an unauthorise feeding to my tank

When its time to change water

When its time to change the activated carbon, polyfilter & resins

The ORP probe is my daily reassurance that everything with the tank is "certified" OK before I leave for work. Cool gadget indeed

:)

Perhaps I should get one too... as I am an ozone user too.

I need it to increase the efficiency of my current skimmer as I have upgraded my tank... and the other benefits of using ozone is also a plus point. Better than getting another skimmer to supplement my current or to upgrade to a bigger one!

I am using a hybrid system of using natural filtration like DSB + refugium and a skimmer + ozone (I'll use my ozone on and off... to clean and clarify my water and as a parasite control measure).

I do notice my water has become crystal clear after use.... :) No more yellowing compounds... and my skimmate has become clearer too as the organics are burnt up!

I have a Sanders 200 ozone generator unit.. and u?

• SRC Member

AT,

Mine is a Coralife. By the way, where did you get your Sanders? I need a replacement for my dead unit.

Er...AT, you mean you are using ozone without a redox probe? Then I think the ORP probe should be in your “Want-to-get priority list”. Seems quite dangerous cos without the probe you don’t know when is enough. Everything is so invisible…

IMO, ORP probe is a must for ozone users otherwise its all a guessing game. You can have the probe without the ozonizer but the ozonizer must come with an ORP probe or best…with electronic controller. Everyone want their money’s worth and too little O3 may not be significant enough to see the full beneficial impact exerted in the tank (under utilised) and too much can kill inhabitants. It is recommended that the water leaving the skimmer be channeled to a layer of activated carbon to remove residual O3. No free floating O3 should be in your main tank. This makes the sump a practical necessity for ozone application. By the time the water gets pumped back into the main tank, what is left of the O3 would be gone when it discharges its unstable atom that is ever hungry to break free.

Anyway, the ORP probe is good instument in itself by letting you know at a glance how much more tolerance for waste your tank can handle. It’s a good investment with or without an ozonizer… if you are a gadget geek, go get it! But then if you are a ozone user then all the more you should get it and yes…you sure won’t regret it when you know that you are maximising the potential of your O3 generator. It’s a good satisfying feeling, you know. :)

BTW, AT is your skimmer ozone proof?

Hon,

I am afraid that there are no suggested amount of O3 for different tank size. It is not calculated in that way. That's where the ORP probe comes in. Best to keep the ORP reading between 300-390 milliVolt regardless of tank size. Anything higher than 400mV will result in the slow “oxidation” of your pets. Coral tissue will burn (blacken spots) and for fishes, their eyes (cloudy) will be the first thing to go. The tissue there is the most sensitive and softest part of the fish. :ph34r: IMO, O3 usage has drastic consequences and its best not to guess or assume anything if you can help it.

Why use ozone in the first place? It adds complexity to your tank and more things to monitor. It also presents a threat to your tank if one day you become negligent.

The simpler the better, as they say if it can fail it will fail.

Reefkeeping should be simple and kept to the basic necessities only IMHO

The use of ozone is something very misunderstood. It's a very straightforward application. Ozone reactor straight to the skimmer.

When used correctly, it is probably the most effective water filtration with anti-bacterial/parasitic properties.

Even UV can't hold a candle to it.

It is something I have been investigating for a very very long time... and from my learnings... there are far more benefits than problems.

Anyway, aquarium ozone units produce far less ozone to even endanger livestock or humans.

It's safe. Anyway, I am using it intermittently. Perhaps later I would get an ORP monitor.

Am using it in a sump... so no worries about residual O3.

Yes, my euroreef skimmer is ozone proof and I also use ozone-resistant tubings as well as an DIY air-dryer.

• SRC Member

Robe,

Yeah, got to agree with AT. It is actually a very straight forward procedure. Do not be discouraged because of the bad things about ozone usage. No doubt that there are inherent risks in using ozone but when you thoroughly understand its applications, these risks become insignificant. In fact, you will eventually find it indispensable and become one of the most useful things in your aquarium that you can't do without.

Its better than UV steriliser, better than carbon fitration, acts as a phosphate sponge and serves as a good protein skimmer by itself in oxidising organic waste quickly through chemical reaction while at the same time increasing the efficiency of the skimmer through increased froth...and all contained in just a tiny little box that spurts only one thing...O3!

Furthermore, using it in conjuction with an ORP monitor to control the ozone dosage, you can see how good or bad the condition of your tank is...literally because the numbers are there and there is no escaping it. It prompts you to answer the question why your water oxidizing potential have fallen or risen and to take note of your bad or good water management practices that lead to it. It gives you information allowing you to take preemptive steps in averting a potentially damaging situation for example locating and removing a decomposing corspe that may be well hidden from your eyes and the stop the strain on the oxidizing potential of your water and stir a review of your current water management practices as to what can be done to increase the redox. Without it, you only can do what you can see with your own eyes which may be sufficient but not optimal.

Try it, you will be hooked :rolleyes::D

• SRC Member

I have a meter and a sander ozonizer lying around the storeroom somewhere but the probe is busted. Does anyone know how much it cost fors a replacement probe? As I don't run a skimmer, I guess I don't really need the ozonizer so I'd be happy to sell it if anyone wants to grab it.

• SRC Member

Anyone got lobang into calibration liquid?

Where to buy Redox calibration solutions of 230 mV ??

And maybe Conductivity solutions of 1 mS/cm and 50 mS/cm ??

Also pH solutions of pH 4 and pH 9 ??

;)

• SRC Member

Hi Stenopus

You missed out Redox calibration solution!!!

Does Sam = Sealife at Balestier?

I used to have a conductivity meter. It's been in the storage for years coz I dunno where to get calibration solution. If I can get it, will try whether it still works or not.

Please let me know where to get Redox solution as well...thanks :D

• SRC Member

Hon,

Yup, Sam = Sealife at Balestier.

Conductivity meter should be quite lasting though. I have one that’s as old as my ORP and its still working!

Anyway the conductivity calibration fluid comes in a white bottle unlike the PH Calibration fluids (in packet form). If no one sells it anymore, what you can do is to test the Conductivity meter on deionized water with new unused resin. It should give you a reading of 0 then you will know that there’s a high chance its working. My home tap water in the Western part of Singapore gives a reading of 230. How impure!… :( Can't wait to test out Newater!!

As to where to get Redox solution? Erm…this thread somehow got entangled in Ozone discussion. Thank goodness AT stepped in to redirect the discussion to Phang’s thread…but really…this thread was started by me supposedly to weed out anyone who have a Redox meter and might have some inkling about where to get that all elusive Redox calibration solution because I am looking high and low for it too. Any takers?…Help us both…pleazzze… <_<

• SRC Member

Thanks robe... will check that out.

BTW, anyone been to or going to aquamart?

Can check if they sell these calibration solution since they carry aquamedic probe. Thank You :)