Elegance retracted...

Travy

• SRC Member

Got it for some time liao.

At first expend like no body's business, now its retracted into its skeleton most of the time... Water parameters is normal...

Wonder whats wrong with it.

Anyone has the same problem?

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

Elegance corals do not have a reputation for lasting very long in reef tanks.... they are quite demanding & contradictory corals and reefers still do not know exactly what they need.

• SRC Member

I have gave up on them already. Not easy to keep as some books suggested. Also the environment required are different from other corals, in the ocean they can be found in muddy areas where the water conditions are less than ideal.

Some people seems to have success in keeping this coral, but then very very few in numbers.

• SRC Member

Maybe you could try to have the tank as stable as possible... eg. drip RO water @ 1drop per sec so that the salinity doesn't change so much... also, a CR always helps you maintain the calcium levels at a constant rate... that way, it reduces the stress...

I have a small piece, but has been growing for the last 6months...

post-70-1099884851.jpg

I had 4 pieces of Elegant dying on me within 3 weeks.... until I devised the following way to keep it for survival.....

Step 1) Pick the right healthy specimen.

How do you tell if they are healthy ?

The specimen must be able to open up in the

LFS tank. I will then slightly touch the tenticles of the elegant.

If the tentacles will stick/sting my fingers ... it attempts to stick to my fingers .........

This means it is healthy and hungry and ready to eat.

Step 2) After I get the specimen home, I will dip it in

SeaChem coral dip (some use to Lugol's solution) to kill off any

bacteria.

Step 3) Place it in the tank at the bottom and just a gentle current.

Feed it with small pieces of meat.... food like small piece of squid or prawn ....

This step can only happen if step1 is followed that is the tentacles will grab and stick/sting to the food. If it can feed on the food, it will receive nutrients and fight off any infection better.

After following these steps .... my current elegant is growing and healthy for the past 5 months.

Cheers

• SRC Member
Got it for some time liao.

At first expend like no body's business, now its retracted into its skeleton most of the time... Water parameters is normal...

Wonder whats wrong with it.

Anyone has the same problem?

Me have the same problem too.

• SRC Member
I had 4 pieces of Elegant dying on me within 3 weeks.... until I devised the following way to keep it for survival.....

Step 1) Pick the right healthy specimen.

How do you tell if they are healthy ?

The specimen must be able to open up in the

LFS tank. I will then slightly touch the tenticles of the elegant.

If the tentacles will stick/sting my fingers ... it attempts to stick to my fingers .........

This means it is healthy and hungry and ready to eat.

Step 2) After I get the specimen home, I will dip it in

SeaChem coral dip (some use to Lugol's solution) to kill off any

bacteria.

Step 3) Place it in the tank at the bottom and just a gentle current.

Feed it with small pieces of meat.... food like small piece of squid or prawn ....

This step can only happen if step1 is followed that is the tentacles will grab and stick/sting to the food. If it can feed on the food, it will receive nutrients and fight off any infection better.

After following these steps .... my current elegant is growing and healthy for the past 5 months.

Cheers

Step 1 ditto...

step 2... erm.. hehe :P didnt...

Step 3.. ditto too...

Anyway it went up to reef heaven this morning... To my horror i found many open 'holes' on the polyps... this is my second piece of elegance... the first one had the same ending. :(

I kinda suspect its my YT, mom's had caught it nibble at the elegance a couple of times when i'm not ard... :erm:

My Tank

• SRC Member

never use your finger to test the elegence sting :pinch: NEVER!!!!!

i did that and it has been almost a year that my finger didnt heal <_< the skin just keeps peeling and peeling. yes i consulted the doctor and now kena reffer to a dermatologist :pinch:

but i still have a 2mnth old elegence in the tank :ph34r::fear:

• SRC Member

i think i'll put of elegance liao...

Better stick with torches octo and brains... <_<

My Tank

• SRC Member

After a few days of brain storming.... i came up with a possible reason...

Could it be that elegance are more sensitive to AZ NO3? It affected my octo at first but now its recovered. Maybe elegance have a low toleration for the enzymes... :erm:

My Tank

• SRC Member
After a few days of brain storming.... i came up with a possible reason...

Could it be that elegance are more sensitive to AZ NO3? It affected my octo at first but now its recovered. Maybe elegance have a low toleration for the enzymes... :erm:

Elegance needs good flow to bring oxygen to it........it can tolerate a high nutrients level in the water. Position your elegance so the tentacles is swaying softly.

Eric

• SRC Member

Elegance needs good flow to bring oxygen to it........it can tolerate a high nutrients level in the water. Position your elegance so the tentacles is swaying softly.

Eric

Yes.. I agree with the water flow... also calcium levels must be consistent... mine opens up even at night, just that in the night it is not fully open... I don't feed mine at all... and I never touch my corals unless needed....

post-70-1100496114.jpg

• SRC Member

Yes.. I agree with the water flow... also calcium levels must be consistent... mine opens up even at night, just that in the night it is not fully open... I don't feed mine at all... and I never touch my corals unless needed....

I see yur pic reminds me of my elegance b4 its demise....

But mine's Greenish blue body with purple tips... :cry:

My Tank