pls post photos of cyano, diatoms

• SRC Member

hi guys, think it'd be very useful if u guys can post pictures of cyano, diatoms and other forms of nuisance algae with the names.

i think this would be very beneficial to people who wanna identify what's growing in their tank

i too am sometimes confused with what's growing in my tank.

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member

a classic case of an algae infected tank.this was my last tank,went to australia for a month and no one noticed my dead naso tang...came back and i was keeping algae...High nitrates+low water flow=very serious case of algae bloom.those on the sandbed are a mixture of cyano and diatoms.on the rocks are hair algae..

post-6-1099724817.jpg

Cyano is like a thick deep purple mat of slime and when photosythesis is in full bloom, can peel off and float away on the oxygen bubbles!

Diatoms is like a very light layer of dust-like brown coating, usually on the sandbed and the glass.

• SRC Member
how did u get rid of it?

Go slow with your stocking up and controlled feeding.......you might not have the cyano problem at all.

Now I'm using the vodka dose to rid of my cyano and hair algaes..........quite effective IMO, but still too early to know the side effects.

Eric

Go slow with your stocking up and controlled feeding.......you might not have the cyano problem at all.

Now I'm using the vodka dose to rid of my cyano and hair algaes..........quite effective IMO, but still too early to know the side effects.

Eric

Bro, should use "Red Slime Remover" by Ultra Life, available at Reborn, about $20... very effective!

Vodka can be pretty risky... IMHO...

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

The Ultraslime is a form of antiboitics. Some kind of medication. Too much for your tank is also no good. So best way to cure cyano is to clear dead spots by constant gravel washing using a gravel washer.. invest in some good clean up crews like sand sifter stars, cukes, snails etc. then get a good PH or wavemaker to prevent the accumulations of too many dead spots.. like tat you wont get cyano bloom.

Just my 2 cents worth....