First Test for My First Marine

AZRA

Hi all,

I'm new to this hobby and need help you marine gurus here. I have 2'x2'x18" tank. Right now is in cycling stage for 5 days and counting. 5" DSB main game here is reef. Filteration system - sump with bio-mediums. Just got my test kit this afternoon and did my first test. Today's first reading is :

pH : 8.4

NH3 : 4.0

NO2 : 0.0

NO3 : 0.0

I know ammonia is still high from referring to the manual included in the test kid and it's harmful and even deadly to fish. How could help to I reduced the ammonia since it has been long and I'm eager to get corals into the tank. ...just can't wait another day.

Attached recent pic of the tank..bare , deserted ocean. :(

DSCN2735.jpg

DSCN2741.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cycling normally takes up to a minimum of 2 weeks and may also end up to months.

Remember to be patient and this will be the line between failing and success :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

Hi! Welcome to the hobby!! It's going to be one wild ride! :)

My advice is to read as much as you can, get a good marine book (updated version to the last 3 years) and of course, surf to forums such as SRC and Reef Central to get the best tips from reefers who have gone thru a lot of heartache so as to prevent you from making the same mistakes!

Take it slow and steady, resist procrastination and fight impatience to the death to prevent more deaths (your marine pets and yours when the wife finds out how much you are spending to restock/restart your tank)!!! :lol:

Welcome to SRC!!

AT

Hi! Welcome to the hobby!! It's going to be one wild ride! :)

My advice is to read as much as you can, get a good marine book (updated version to the last 3 years) and of course, surf to forums such as SRC and Reef Central to get the best tips from reefers who have gone thru a lot of heartache so as to prevent you from making the same mistakes!

Take it slow and steady, resist procrastination and fight impatience to the death to prevent more deaths (your marine pets and yours when the wife finds out how much you are spending to restock/restart your tank)!!! :lol:

Welcome to SRC!!

AT

Hi all! I'm new too and my tank and been cycling for about a week now. Jus wondering which book is the definative referance book to get. Currently i have only "The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium" by vincent b hargreaves

wat books to recommend guys and get from where?

Hi all! I'm new too and my tank and been cycling for about a week now. Jus wondering which book is the definative referance book to get. Currently i have only "The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium" by vincent b hargreaves

wat books to recommend guys and get from where?

Bro, u can save lotsa $$$ by reading online... in one of the reef forums... especially the sticky threads... provide good information... :) Good luck! and enjoy the hobby! :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

latest pic... after 3 weeks of water cycling , just a 2 footer tank... entering my 6th week of marine world. Will be going for a bigger tank(4X2.5X2) in two weeks, waiting for tank,canbinet & LR ready.

post-6-1101320427.jpg

Looks good bro.... :lol:

but beware the galaxea ( durian ) coral... they sure sting hard!

well, I use rubber gloves (a must) whenever I dip my hand into the tank though, thanks for the caution.

Eh... was refering to its proximity to other corals, it can sting the other corals to death... and the galaxea can extend its tentatcles to 3-4 inches under proper conditions.... :)

oh..well in that case..I'll move it somewhere far away from other corals then..thanks for the caution..

Welcome bro.Looks like you had a very good start.

Thanks..

Just to day the 6th week I did my water test..ph-8.3 NO2-0 NO2-5ppm Salinity - 1.023...2 weeks livestocks added....anything there I should be aware of.

The hole in the pocket. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

hmmm..not really..this is my test tank (2ft) bought all the neccessary equipment - Chiller, protein skimmer, T5 and MH lightings, Calcium reactor + co2 in preparation for my 4X2.5X2 (in 2 weeks time). Iniatially I thought of starting with the big tank, but I'm doubtful..so I started the small one..see whether I could do it...well I got it through. Initial budget is $5000..expendable (sold part of my invested shares - gainers ones of course la)...expected spendings would be around $15k - $20k corals sps mostly, addatives, maintainance, elecrtric bills.:rolleyes: as time fly-by..

Joined several reefs forums and asked for help and advice..and got all the help that I needed.

Marine is my dream la...what ever it takes...money not everything this world it's the Self Satisfaction ..."they-most fish hobbyist" says marine is hard to start and keep...I want to know how hard it is. Anyway, whatever it is this hobby is "Hard Starter, but once started, Hard to Stop!"

I have been keeping, Kois,Discus and Frontosa Burundis for many years now and it never seemed to stop ( got about 37 kois- in a 10'X10' pond and 15 Discus -in a 5ft planted tank and 18 fronts - in 4ft tank)...all fresh water...and I feel now is the time get into marines....new grounds/waters....before I end my chapter in this heavenly earth.

Well, that's quite a few too many fishes...but they seemed to give me all the luck I needed and fengshiu! :D

Anyway thanks for your caution.

• SRC Member

hey.. unique rockwork u have...

and remember to update DAILY when your new tank comes! :lol::lol:

good luck in your venture to the depths of marine fishkeeping.. :rolleyes:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• 1 month later...

3 months has passed and I have migrated to a 4X2.5X2 foot tank...all seemed to go just fine...

Tank Specs:

Tank

My tank L4'XH2.5XW2.0(600litres) 10mm thick- customed made with 8" overflow/siphon box) I have to be satisfied with this size - space restriction

Sand Beds / LR

- Main tank 6" : 5" #0 & 1" #1 sand

- Sump: 3" sand + refugium

- Live Rocks 65 Kilos

Filtering system

- 1 3'X16"X16" 3 section sump where the refugium is also located.

- 1 canister filter to run Rowaphos and activated carbon (no mechanical filtration or pads used).

- Weirpo SA-2012 protein Skimmer

- Aquamacro Needlewheel Protein Skimmer

- AquaMacro CA Reactor + CO2

- AquaMacro Nitrate Reductor

Other Equipments

- Resun CL650 Chiller unit (runs through a canister filter mentioned)

- 2 Return pumps Crystal 4880 L/hr

- 2 x Seio 620 Internal Wavemaker (2400L/hr)

- Dolphin 650 Canister Filter (phosphate removers + active carbon)

Lightings

Dymax BlackGalxy (2x MH150watts, 4xT5 Blue Athinic 84watts)

2 T5-HO x 39watts ,

2 Phillips O3 x 30watts

post-6-1105276816.jpg