UPS (Uninterrupt Power Supply) Reef-Tank Insurance

Rocks

• SRC Member

Hi..

I am thinking of getting an UPS for my reef tank. While considering whether to invest on one or not ... would like to gather feedback / comment(s) from those currently using UPS for their reef tank(s).

Some questions to begin with:

(1) What is the brand/model of your UPS

(2) Price of the UPS

(3) Which are the equipment(s) you currently connects via the UPS

(4) What is the total wattages of your equipment(s) on the UPS

(5) Upon power failure, how long did the UPS keep the equipment(s) running before the UPS battery goes flat.

(6) Any other comment(s) / experience(s) with UPS that you would like to share?

Your feedback/comment(s) is very much appreciated. :thanks:

CHEERS!

Rocks

P/S:

And I am sure it will benefit those (like me) interested in getting an UPS to safe-guard their precious corals. Especially for those reefers cheonging down to LFS and managed to secure those rare and beautiful corals... One power failure might just wipe out the entire tank of corals.. (money and effort wasted) :cry::cry:

• SRC Member
There are some lower end UPS found in Sim Lim Sq. But if you are going for better quality, stick with APC. They have various models to fit your needs. These are mainly used for servers so can rest assure they are not cheapo types else businesses can close shop liow.

Thanks Acura007,

Aside from the quality / liability, i also want to know for those using UPS how long does it support those equipments that connects to the UPS in relation to the total wattages connect to the UPS.

Understand from friends UPS normally use for servers will only support for about 20mins, just in time for system administrators to backup their server data and do a proper shutdown before power is being cut off from the server.

But for reef-tank application, UPS has a different requirement, 20mins of backup time is useless if the reef-owner is not at home. So, want to find out can these UPS support ... say small circulating pump (ie: Tunze) for about 2-3 hours ... a reasonable time frame before main electricity resume. (Assuming Singapore Power will not let power black-out / main circult trip for hours without anyone attending to it).

CHEERS!

Rocks

• SRC Member

Are there anyone using UPS on their reef tank currently?

Can give some feedback on the model of your UPS and what equipment is supported by your UPS? Upon power failure, how long does the UPS last?

deciding to buy a UPS but need some feedback and comment to make a wise decision..

CHEERS!

Rocks

• SRC Member

Get the APC SmartUPS series cos it has a true sinewave output. I have the 700 series and am connecting 1 of the Tunze 6100 stream to it. In case of power failure, there wil still be circulation in the main tank and at roughly 15w(at 30% setting), it can sustain for at least 3 hours or more I think. :)

• SRC Member
Get the APC SmartUPS series cos it has a true sinewave output. I have the 700 series and am connecting 1 of the Tunze 6100 stream to it. In case of power failure, there wil still be circulation in the main tank and at roughly 15w(at 30% setting), it can sustain for at least 3 hours or more I think. :)

How much u paid for the 700 series?

• SRC Member

Thanks AR

my concern is more when the circuit breaker tripped when no one is at home. then there won't be power for at least until i reach home after work... max 12 hours... :(

my vendor recommend me "APC BACK-UPS RS BR1500I + extra battery" the time-chart says 6hrs 47mins at 50watts... i have 2 circulation pump SEIO 820 (total 36 watts) ... maybe the UPS will last for 12 hours?..

but not sure about the true sinewave output thot... how do i check and confirm it?

CHEERS!

Rocks

• SRC Member

AlfaRomeo

Got a pic of your UPS or not har ? ... thinking of getting APC also.

CHEERS!

Rocks

• SRC Member
Back-up APC is for PC and server usage and I doubt its sinewave.

The SmartAPC is giving sinewave. Check the spec under "waveform type".

not sure what is the relation between sinewave and water pump motor.

so what if a UPS is not sinewave?

the pump will not run, the pump will spoil or the pump will run with unpredictable result ?

My office have a few APC UPS laying around (not sure can bring my pump to office and test test it)... :lol::lol: ... need to know what will happened first, else my pump spoil nevermind, the office's UPS spoil... i can :cry: have to pay back office a UPS. :D

CHEERS!

Rocks

• SRC Member
My office have a few APC UPS laying around (not sure can bring my pump to office and test test it)... :lol::lol: ... need to know what will happened first, else my pump spoil nevermind, the office's UPS spoil... i can :cry: have to pay back office a UPS. :D

Test it at ur own risk lor. Think the previous thread discuss enough liao. :D

• SRC Member

Maybe can help abit here...

Motors tend to run hotter and have their lifespan reduced by abit when they are put on non-sinewave voltage sources, which is why a UPS that simulates a sinewave the closest is the best choice (with small consumer office types, this may not be perfect, but close)

For those of u who wish to have longer backup times, just use a sinewave UPS that can allow extra battery cabinets/packs, and u can just replace or increase the batteries as and when u need - the UPS is just a dual conversion device

As for APC users, please note that most of their UPS are using 'offline' technology, meaning that the inverter (converts battery power into AC normal power) is always resting when there is supply from mains. It will ONLY turn on and do its work when power fails, and if u have a crappy or worn out inverter, then there is a chance it might not do its job when the power cuts, defeating the purpose of having a UPS in the first place, which is RELIABILITY always...

My advice is to go for a slightly more expensive line interactive UPS which has its inverter working all the time, than to risk having it fail when the time really comes for it to kick in...

And btw, dont assume the backup time they quoted is accurate, because factors like motor startup inrush requirements and battery age affect the performance of the UPS, so do oversize slightly and change out the batteries all in one shot, every 3 yrs max

Hope i helped... ;)

• SRC Member

Motors tend to run hotter and have their lifespan reduced by abit when they are put on non-sinewave voltage sources, which is why a UPS that simulates a sinewave the closest is the best choice (with small consumer office types, this may not be perfect, but close)

For those of u who wish to have longer backup times, just use a sinewave UPS that can allow extra battery cabinets/packs, and u can just replace or increase the batteries as and when u need - the UPS is just a dual conversion device

As for APC users, please note that most of their UPS are using 'offline' technology, meaning that the inverter (converts battery power into AC normal power) is always resting when there is supply from mains. It will ONLY turn on and do its work when power fails, and if u have a crappy or worn out inverter, then there is a chance it might not do its job when the power cuts, defeating the purpose of having a UPS in the first place, which is RELIABILITY always...

My advice is to go for a slightly more expensive line interactive UPS which has its inverter working all the time, than to risk having it fail when the time really comes for it to kick in...

And btw, dont assume the backup time they quoted is accurate, because factors like motor startup inrush requirements and battery age affect the performance of the UPS, so do oversize slightly and change out the batteries all in one shot, every 3 yrs max

Hope i helped... ;)

Cool. Very informative. Thanks :)

• SRC Member

Hope i helped... ;)

thanks wedgee ... very helpful of you.

i am getting quotes from the APC reseller for 2 models with 2nd battery. will see what is the pricing then.

:thanks:

CHEERS!

Rocks