Singapore v Malaysia, Jalan Besar Stadium

limbssg

• SRC Member

Anyone going?

Extract from Straits Times:

TIGER BEER CHALLENGE TROPHY

Singapore v Malaysia, 8.30pm,

Jalan Besar Stadium

Pride and reputation will see Singapore and Malaysia fielding their best players tonight

By Marc Lim

WITH Tiger Cup places on the line and pride on their minds, tonight's Singapore-Malaysia match at the Jalan Besar Stadium will be anything but a warm-up friendly for both teams ahead of next month's Tiger Cup in Vietnam.

The two sides will be fielding their strongest squads and if the captains are to be believed, they will not be taking things lightly.

Said Lions' skipper Aide Iskandar: 'Every Singapore-Malaysia match is a big game.

'It's only a month to the Tiger Cup and I'm sure both sides would like to go into the tournament with a good string of results.

'Besides, we've lost our last two matches against them and we want to make sure we will be the winners this time.'

His opposite number Rosdi Talib had similar views.

He said: 'Although our main priority is the Tiger Cup, we're treating this match as a very important one. After our last match, we want to maintain our winning streak and our national pride.'

Rosdi played a key role in July's 2-0 win over Singapore in Cheras, which followed the humiliating 4-0 drubbing of the Lions during the 2002 Tiger Cup at the National Stadium.

But while recent history may point to a Malaysia win, current form suggests otherwise.

Since Bertalan Bicskei took over from Allan Harris as Malaysia's head coach after the victory over Singapore in July, the team have struggled.

In the World Cup qualifiers, Malaysia lost 0-1 to China and 0-2 to Hong Kong and are at the bottom of Group 4, without points.

To make matters worse, regular striker Akmal Rizal - who scored against Singapore both in July and in 2002 - is out for three months after undergoing ankle surgery.

In contrast, Singapore's fortunes have been on the upswing. After almost going a year without winning a match, the Lions beat Indonesia 2-0 in a friendly in September.

Although a 1-2 loss to the United Arab Emirates followed, the Lions went on to beat India 2-0 in the World Cup qualifiers and a Thailand Selection side 5-2.

It was the first time that the national team have strung together consecutive wins under national coach Raddy Avramovic.

He said: 'I hope the team will be able to continue the good run.

'But there's still a lot of improving to be done. We're not yet where I want us to be but if we continue to work as hard, the results will continue coming.'

The coach will not be giving tonight's game any special attention and will approach it the same way he does all matches - to win.

He said: 'We will be missing Indra Sahdan Daud who is injured, but other than that, we have a fit side.'

Daniel Bennett reckons the team have managed to turn a corner and believes his side can win today.

Said the England-born defender yesterday: 'The team is really buzzing now, especially for the Malaysia game.

'When I first started playing for Singapore, I didn't know too much about the Singapore-Malaysia rivalry. But, after playing with the team for two years, I can really feel it.

'And we'd love to beat them tomorrow.'

Match details

What: Singapore v Malaysia

When: Tonight, 8.30pm

Where: Jalan Besar Stadium

Tickets: $7 for adults, $2 for schoolchildren. On sale from 6.30pm at the North and South entrances

Probable line-ups

Singapore: Hassan Sunny, Baihakki Khaizan, Daniel Bennett, Aide Iskandar, Mohamed Noh Rahman, Muhammad Ridhuan, Goh Tat Chuan, Shahril Ishak, Itimi Dickson, Noh Alam Shah and Masrezwan Masturi.

Malaysia: Mohamed Syamsuri, Rosdi Talib, Norfazly Alias, Norhafiz Zamani Misbah, Wan Rohaimi Ismail, Eddy Helmi Abdul Manan, Nantha Kumar, Liew Kit Kong, Indra Putra Mahayuddin, Khalid Jamlus and V. Saravanan