The comet's 5 footer!!!

shoelevy

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

adjusting ref flowrate...ref only consists of eheim 3000 pump pumping water in and full siphon out and a normal acrylic small tank

if interested to know how i got it to work just post a quest here

post-34-1099205602.jpg

Edited by DeepBlue

• SRC Member

last picture for this 1st round of update

rockscape full view closeup

also forgot to mention added another 30kg of sand

so total stuff inside...120kg sand and 68kg live rocks :peace:

now...the time for u guys to shoot shoot shoot....gd or bd comments keep them coming...will learn then give u guys a 2nd roud of update when the time comes

by the wae...will some kind soul pls tell me watt pump to use for that fr?

signing off now! :kiss:

post-34-1099153237.jpg

• SRC Member
full setup.....1st sump compartment is wool

2nd is coral chip

last is where return pump and refugium pump is

Suggestion:

(1) remove the bag of coral chips... not much use other than to collect dirt and increase your NO2/3 =======> nitrate factory

(2) If you want to use floss, make sure you od regular cleaning. else also ======> nitrate factory

Great setup :lol:

Welcome to the heart renching, pocket burning, headache causing, equipment upgrading hobby of REEFING!!! :evil::evil:

• SRC Member

Suggestion:

(1) remove the bag of coral chips... not much use other than to collect dirt and increase your NO2/3 =======> nitrate factory

(2) If you want to use floss, make sure you od regular cleaning. else also ======> nitrate factory

Great setup :lol:

Welcome to the heart renching, pocket burning, headache causing, equipment upgrading hobby of REEFING!!! :evil::evil:

ahhahahaa...the haedaches and heartaches are all worth it at the end of the dae.

correct me if i'm wrong zerocool...i get yr pt on coral chips being a nitrate factory but isn't coral chips supposed to provide a surface area for gd bacteria to grow on?...its used by many to cultivate bacteria rite?....not to doubt u....jus wanna mamke sure i get my facts straight

• SRC Member
ahhahahaa...the haedaches and heartaches are all worth it at the end of the dae.

correct me if i'm wrong zerocool...i get yr pt on coral chips being a nitrate factory but isn't coral chips supposed to provide a surface area for gd bacteria to grow on?...its used by many to cultivate bacteria rite?....not to doubt u....jus wanna mamke sure i get my facts straight

You've got a sand bed already... Y would you want some more tt will only has bad effects and little to nil benefits?

If you want surface for bacteria growth get more LR and place them in the sump like i do... cos my tank too small :( Just fill the sump with LR.. a good place for growth of pods. And some help in NNR.

Coral chips are used in blackish water to buffer the PH. But we in marine already have a control over the PH and KH. We already have coral sand right???

Hence no need for coral chips, will add to our workload only.

Take a look ard of other reefers tanks. I seldom see coral chips other than in LFS :pinch:

This is only my opinion :peace:

• SRC Member

Its true that coral chips will become nitrate factories over time but not NO2 though... the reason being corals chips do not have anaerobic region for de-nitrifying bacteria to survive. Hence the corals chips can only break down NH4 to NO2 and then down to NO3 and stops there.. hence NO3 will increase... detritus is also another reason causing NO3 to increase. IMHO, i think its good to have another form of biological filtration is the sump so as to decrease the chances of a tank crash to the minimum. Even when a few fish die, there is enough bacterias in the corals chips/bio-balls etc to break down the dangerous NH4 and NO2. Its true that LRs will serve the same purpose, but there's only this amt of BB that the LRs can house and chances of a tank crash is definitely higher than that of a tank which uses biological filtration.

I also think filter floss is important as it traps the detritus.. otherwise where will the detritus goes? Back to the main tank or settle down to the bottom on the sump. Hence its the same problem of detritus. But as mentioned, need to change to filter floss regularly.

Personally, I'm slowly replacing my bio-balls with bio-home as bio-home has anaerobic regions to house de-nitrifying bacteria which bio-balls doesn't have. Not sure how effective it will be as its still in the process of replacement