Going to HK this coming long weekend

Achilles Tang

Gonna be bringing the wifey on a well-deserved 5D holiday break over the Deepavali/Hari Raya hols ... a proper one this time... all our holidays this year had been diving trips! ;)

Anyone knows good places to go for makan? I wanna hunt down the best 'smelly tofu' and dim sums around.

Gonna be meeting up some reefer friends there as well... so perhaps they'll be the best guides.

Going to Shenzhen too.... not been there yet. Anyone been to that miniature wonders of the world place?

I wonder if I can go diving in HK.... :lol::fear: oops...

And no... I am not going to carry any reef-related stuff back... I already kenna warning by my wife... last trip to HK made her sacrifice her luggage space for my old CR and media!! :evil:

Anyone going hols over that week too?

AT

• SRC Member

Kowloon has the best best food in HK!! :lol: Temple Street has very nice small restaurants serving authentic Shrimp Dumpling noodles (FAT dumplings!), Porridge and roast meat joints! But beware, prostitutes hang around almost every street, hold on tight to wifey! :lol::fear: i was nearly abducted by them (they pulled me lah), then i glared at them cos my gf was beside me... :blink:

Smelly Toufu can get nice ones at Ladies Street (Add lots of chilli!). The night market there has lots of sinful food. Make sure you have strong stomach

Dim sum also can find at Kowloon, ask around with the locals, general rule is to eat where the normal local folks eat, cheap and good and mostly better than the expensive restaurants.

Dun eat expensive, walk and hunt down the best food stalls there in the streets, thats the best experience. :D

If you are tired of walking around, take your wifey to Lamma Island (Nan Ya Tau in chinese), go for a romantic stroll around the island and end up at a nice fishing village for seafood (quality and price dun expect too much), but its a nice experience. Take ferry from the ferry terminal there, can spend up to a day there.

They have Marche's up at Victoria Peak also, nice place to eat and spend a romantic night on top of the Peak!

Haha, ok, i beginning to sound like Tourism Ambassador for HK liao... HK is great fun!! :lol:

Going to Shenzhen too.... not been there yet. Anyone been to that miniature wonders of the world place?

My wife went there..she is still traumatised by the mess at the borders. Pple actually pee at the queue..good luck.

Get ready to push and elbow.....

bet you will spend some time at Fish Street....the smelly tofu there is like the garbarge truck ...delicious!!!

• SRC Member

My wife went there..she is still traumatised by the mess at the borders. Pple actually pee at the queue..good luck.

Get ready to push and elbow.....

bet you will spend some time at Fish Street....the smelly tofu there is like the garbarge truck ...delicious!!!

Ya if you take a train there from HK, make sure you either leave shenzen by 4 pm or much later, the queue is crazy full of people, the last time I went there and left the place on Friday 5pm, the entrance to the immigration was jam packed and withour air cond, people fainted and a teenager caucasian was so frightened by the crowd she was crying her eyes out.

As a foreigner, there is a separate queue, faster for you to get inside the immigration hall but longer to get past the immigration counter than the locals.

I was told by a friend of mine there is a shop in Cantonment Road in front of Pince or Marco Polo hotel at Harbour City which sells "tong sui" or desserts which is pretty good.

Have a good trip, I am staying home to avoid traffic jams along the north south highway!

• SRC Member

Hear it's peak Aussie fish season in HK now......lots of nice angels at very attractive prices. :eyebrow: .... I'm sure you won't be able to avoid the temptation of visiting Tung Choi St and picking something up :lol::lol:

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

This time of the year, the peak is most romantic. the air is fresh and your whole body feels good, unless you can't take cold weather.

As mentioned, most good eateries are the small ones found in Kowloon. HK Island too modern liao, mostly restaurant type.

The Islets are fun and can be romantic too. This season is the best time to go...not too hot and won't pespire so much climbing the slopes.

'Tung choi' can come after you have let the wifey had her rounds in Penisular Hotel Arcade....haha

Enjoy!

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member
been to the "miniature wonders of the world"...

personally I find it damn lame... nothin' much one loh...

Did have a "Ultraman" feeling there though, felt like stomping thru miniature cities...

ohh man . if i were u id have stomped all over them . i have dreams that are like that . im walking all over people . :) . In real life i treat my employees the same way . In Fact i treat everyone i dont respect like that . I need psychiatric help . anyone can recommend a good psych ?

• SRC Member

I recall plucking lychees from the trees at Shenzhen Window of the World. And the fruit was not that sweet either.

Beware of beggars (children mostly). They will grab on to your legs and you have to drag them along until it is out of the beggar sector. Another beggar will be waiting on the other sector :(

Beware of fake diamonds/jade and pearls.

Beware of the spit.. (In Wuxi/Suzhou, some people spit in the restaurant itself, most are accurate, missing only a cm from your shoes :unsure: )

Beware of the Taxi driver... he makes you go round and round.

I do love the food over there in Shenzhen. Cheap, oily and good.

• SRC Member

Hong Kong is the most polluted city in the world . . without a doubt.

Right now I am sitting in my office staring out at the haze (I live in HK).

Bring masks.

For good sps places, go to Tung Choi street, but not the first floor. Those are for fishes only. A couple of good ones are Reef Link at 2nd floor of 167 Tung Choi. Another is SeaLive at 2nd floor of 160 Tung Choi.

If you are into seafood, Lamma Island has some decent touristy places. The best thing is the 20 min boat ride going there.

In HK, can try the restaruants on Tang Lung Street (soaring dragon street) in Causeway Bay. Prices are very cheap and very good. HK$100- 200 is enough for two person for a good meal.

If you are into bars, try the Soho area. It is less touristy than Lan Kwai Fung.

Shenzhen is not really a good place for tourists unless you are into counterfeits. But you can get those on ladies street in Mongkok too.

If you are into sin, then I know those too. :evil:

• SRC Member

Hey...bro...greeting from the small island to your bustling city... :peace:

:off:

How's the tank? up yet? How's the little ones? :)

I like Reef Link too. Ask Mah Sang abt the girl from Singapore who asked for the needlewheel contact and he will remember me... :lol::lol:

Will be visiting him again most prob in Dec, then catch up with you? :P

• 3 weeks later...

:lol: It's just my first attempt to use the night mode on a digi cam I borrowed for this trip!

Those coloured lights are lightsticks!

Lightsticks??? Yes... lightsticks!!!!

We were at.....