Nitrate and Phosphate questions

aStRoBo|

As above.. is it true that high nitrates also contribute to algae bloom and not only the presence of phosphate? :huh:

Yes. one of the nutrients contributing to algae bloom.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

so both must be kept low rite.. hMm.. got it now.. thnks bro. anymore comments still welcomed. :bow:

not only try to keep both phosphate and nitrate low, try to keep them at undetectable levels. especially for PO4. This can be easily achieved by the use of rowaphos, will produce better results when used wif a FR. as for nitrate, if cant achieve zero, then try to keep it as low as possible. though nitrate is not much harmful to fishes, but they r fatal to to many inverts and corals in high concentrate.

there r numerous ways to keep nitrate low,

biological: berlin, jaulbert, etc

chemical: AZ-NO3, etc

mechanical: efficient skimming, denitrator, etc.

and of coz the zeovit system 2.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

FYI, Algae cannot grow without nitrate. If you have PO4 and without nitrate .. algae cannot grow at all but from my personal encounter, I think our system must be able to convert the nitrate fast enough.... which explains why sometimes in our tank though zero nitrate but still see some algae growing ...

These are my personal views.

• SRC Member

thanks for sharing. I have just started to use rowaphos yesterday, waiting for results now. But also having nitrates problem. Getting a AZ NO3 today from a reefer here. Hope it helps. Doing my part is to do water change and low bio load, as well as feed lesser.. :thanks:

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

Just added 2 drops of AZ NO3 into my tank.. .kind of puzzled.. one dosage = one drop? i juz need to follow the instructions on the bottle? One more thing, i place my rowaphos nylon bag in between my filter wool, will it affect the performance?

ga051025.gif

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

today is the 2nd day i drip AZ NO3 into my tank which is 4drops as stated. How long will it take for me to see the results? Maybe Rav-65 or any bros here who uses it comments..

ga051025.gif

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

Hi, when i used contraphose 500ml for 3x2x2x it only takes effect after more than a week (throw inside the sump). Any body knows how long it will be effective before the next replacement. Heard that if used in FR it can only last for two months. Thanks.

• SRC Member
today is the 2nd day i drip AZ NO3 into my tank which is 4drops as stated. How long will it take for me to see the results? Maybe Rav-65 or any bros here who uses it comments..

AZ NO3 is enzyme-based, meaning it will help to bring in those helpful bacteria that eats up nitrate...so it might tank some time...

Hi there, I believe your tank is quite young i suppose and cycle is not completed yet. Its quite normal to see a little cynos when your tank is undergoing cycling. keep your po4 levels low and maintain good circulation within your tank and the cynos should disappear after awhile.

Tank : 2.5 x1.5 x 2

Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC3.5

Lighting : Maxspect 110W

Chiller : Hailea 150 @ 27Deg

Salt : TropicMarin

• SRC Member

sigh.. today it's the 4th day i used rowa and AZ NO3.. dun seems to be improving.. current LS, 3 chromis, 2 ocellaris, 1 twin spot goby, 1 wheeleri goby.. is it too much of LS in a 2footer? wanted to reset my tank man.. fed up.. clearing off the 3 greedy chromis soon.. here's the pic of how bad of my sand bed when lights are on.. sorry using lousy hp cam.. but still can see how bad it is..

post-7-1098059152.jpg

ga051025.gif

av-24.gif

siphon off the cyano growing on ur sandbed.

use PO4 reducing agents e.g. rowaphos, contraphos, biophos, phosban, etc with a FR to increase efficiency. (note the stress induced if u dump in the recommended amt of PO4 reducing agent all at once, add in slow & little increment).

using AZ-NO3, hv to be coupled with a efficient skimmer for ideal DOC export. AZ-NO3 maximize DOC export thru enzyme-based product.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
It takes time after you add in those PO4 reducing agents before those cyno will disappear.

Good things don't happen "overnight" in this hobby.

ya agreed with u bro.. but i just need a gauge on how long i will see the results.. cos nv use all these b4.. so asking those who have used it comment abt it..

ga051025.gif

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

lightningstrike bro: how am i going to siphon? ya, i added four teaspoon of rowa into a nylon bag, is it too much? i dun have a reactor, so where is the best place in place in my sump? for now i place in between my filter wool where water is flowing down.. pls dun get fed up with me ppl, i'm still learning to use all these.. sorry if i causes any trouble.. im a worried man for my tank too..

ga051025.gif

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

Rowaphos is very effective when used with FR. I was using rowaphos in nylon bag for a while. Not much improvement in the condition. Then i started using with FR and within a week all my cyano gone. Reduce your feeding and photo period will also help to improve.

Note : I am talking about cyno in my sump not the main tank. I thk it wont make much difference whether in sump or main tank.

lightningstrike bro: how am i going to siphon? ya, i added four teaspoon of rowa into a nylon bag, is it too much? i dun have a reactor, so where is the best place in place in my sump? for now i place in between my filter wool where water is flowing down.. pls dun get fed up with me ppl, i'm still learning to use all these.. sorry if i causes any trouble.. im a worried man for my tank too..

siphon??? use a hose to do it. u can either buy a handheld hand-pumped hose for ard $5 or use a normal rubber hose.

place ur rowa in either the first or last compartment (in the water, not btw floss) will do relatively ok but IME not as 1/2 as efficient when coupled wif a FR. 4 spoonful is ok or not, i do not know as i do not know ur tank size.

IMHO, a general guide will be to calculate the true water vol of ur setup and use the recommended dosage. add in 30% of the rowa, then 10 to 20% increment thereafter every few days till u reach the recommended dosage.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

siphon??? use a hose to do it. u can either buy a handheld hand-pumped hose for ard $5 or use a normal rubber hose.

aStRo: Got it.

place ur rowa in either the first or last compartment (in the water, not btw floss) will do relatively ok but IME not as 1/2 as efficient when coupled wif a FR. 4 spoonful is ok or not, i do not know as i do not know ur tank size.

aStRo: first compartment? wont wad debritus flow down from my main tank be collected at the nylon bag? My tank is ard 2x1x1.

IMHO, a general guide will be to calculate the true water vol of ur setup and use the recommended dosage. add in 30% of the rowa, then 10 to 20% increment thereafter every few days till u reach the recommended dosage.

aStRo: got it. Thanks bro.

ga051025.gif

av-24.gif

aStRo: Got it.

aStRo: first compartment? wont wad debritus flow down from my main tank be collected at the nylon bag? My tank is ard 2x1x1.

aStRo: got it. Thanks bro.

first compartment? wont wad debritus flow down from my main tank be collected at the nylon bag? My tank is ard 2x1x1

:huh:

the detritus wld hv oredi been caught by ur filter floss b4 it enters ur sump tank right?

Austin's Birthday

.png