What is this 6500K and 20000K thingie

Coral_ClamS

• SRC Member

This is not a chat room or IRC, please complete your sentence, proof-read then submit. It will make this place a lot tidier. I've deleted a few of your other single line posts in the other thread.

All these numbers and K thing is the colour temperature of the light. Greater the number, bluer the light. Smaller the number, redder the light. The sun is about 6500K and clear blue sky is 10000K. It is the spectral characteristic of light emitted by a theoretical black body when heated to the corresponding temperature in Kelvins.

There is no K rating for actinic light. It is almost pure 420nm light.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

250W 10000K MH bulbs and T5 blue tubes or 400W Blue MH bulbs with FL actinic.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Blue bulbs lack light in the 420 nm region so they need supplementation with actinics.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

It's a very 80's thing. I think Dupla still does it. Basically, a 13W PL actinic tube in a MH pendant.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Not sure whether appropriate to to ask in the midst.....

..I know the 10000K MH 150W is supposed to be suitable for most corals we keep, generally the softies and the LPS...when I got mine Azoo 4FT Mh lights(2 x150W 10000K MH and 2 X actinics -sitting on top of tank kind) the lights are never as white as the time I was using my 10000K FL lights, its quite yellow

1) ...as discussed earlier, will adding an extra T5 actinic help make it more white? Is there such a thing as 10000K true aquatic MH bulb?...supposed to be very white...

2) Spider once told me yellow lights better for clams during a farm outing trip....true?

Tried to get answers but never receive ay affirmations on the 2 questions

• SRC Member

The Ushio/BLV 10000K bulbs are true 10000K in colour as it is suppose to be a scientific bulb before it was adopted for aquarium use.

The clam and 6500K light idea was from Knop based on the fact that clams come from shallow waters but people have successfully kept clams under Radiums. Get a bulb that pleases your eyes.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

deepblue, i'm using the azoo set. The PL built in the middle are not actinics- they are 17k(& the light spread from them is concentrated in the middle). i think the MH bulbs are sylvania

All u need to do or can do is add a cheap 4ft ballast and 1x actinic 03 FL tube.This will offset the yellow.

(i use 2x 30w Arcadia actinic).

Maybe at the next MH bulb change you can go for 14k.

• SRC Member
250W 10000K MH bulbs and T5 blue tubes or 400W Blue MH bulbs with FL actinic.

the 250watt 10kk bulb is blue, white or yellow

BTW a 400watt 6500k and a 400watt 20kk combined together what will i get?

is tis enough or need to on T5 actinic as well?

Pls look for my reply to one of the reefer in the New to the hobby/SPs advanced reefers forum..........help me clear my doubts ....ythankks :thanks::lol::D

Coral clams... I suggest you read up as much as you can before throwing so many questions around.... they are not so easy to answer and we won't do you justice if our simple answers are too brief.

Can I suggest you do a little homework yourself first? Best to know the basics and theories before asking things like:

"400watt 6500k and a 400watt 20kk combined together what will i get?" if you don't even know what type of colour a 6500k and 20k is.

Click on this link to bring you to a lot of information on lighting.

Thanks!

AT

deepblue, i'm using the azoo set. The PL built in the middle are not actinics- they are 17k(& the light spread from them is concentrated in the middle). i think the MH bulbs are sylvania

All u need to do or can do is add a cheap 4ft ballast and 1x actinic 03 FL tube.This will offset the yellow.

(i use 2x 30w Arcadia actinic).

Maybe at the next MH bulb change you can go for 14k.

bawater...thanks for the note.....the middle 17K lights...can I change it to actinic bulbs? are there any bulbs avaliable for me to replace? If I change my bulns later on...can I go for the 250W 20000K Mh lights? is it suitable for the Azoo set?

Really appreciate the help...dump a lot of money in...wan to get the best out of it... :)