How to decrease KH level?

alexgan

• SRC Member

Hi All,

Need your expertise to teach me how to lower the Kh level in my tank.

Brought NURAFIN test kit yesterday and realised that my KH level very

high....about 20 drop then start to change to yellow color.

My calcium is 400

My PH is 8.3

Question:-

1) Should is change water?

2) Is there any product in the market that can lower KH level?

Fishes and LPS are doing great but my 1 SPS is dying. Another 3

sps (acro) is fine...thinking to sell it away before the damage start...

Need your advise urgently....

• SRC Member

ur calcium and ph level looks quite alright.... how come your KH can be so high? What did u add to your tank to bring the KH so high? Oh yes, KH can be high during the photosynesthesis period. The best time to measure KH is just before the lights is on.

If the KH is really that high, then my advise is to do a partial water change with a good salt mix (eg. corallife, tropic martin, etc) to bring down gradually. Any dramatic changes do more harm to the corals.

Juz my 2 cents.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Suggest you test with a different test kit, maybe try Salifert to reconfirm your kH. Your calcium level is good so it's a little suprising that your kH is so high, unless you excessively buff up your kH. If test with diff test kit still show high kH, do partial water change like what the other reefers have suggested.

• SRC Member

Hi All,

Firstly, would like to thank for all you suggestion. I maintain my water by weekend change 10% water. Since Karen was say photosynesthesis period may experience KH high then i try tonight again after i switch off the light and do the testing

Another question if Kh high will it hurt my coral?

• SRC Member

I encountered the same thing once because I was playing with the KH parameter - you could try Cal buffer to bring down the KH or just do a partial water change - that would be the fastest.

I realised that some sps is very sensitive to KH increase while others doesn't really give a damn. I have one acro which will always be the first to show sign of ionic imbalance like giving off white thread.. when i pushes up my KH. After a day or 2 it would look normal again.

Hope it helps.

• SRC Member

Oppsss....Karen refering is Ph instead? Then i really clueless?

Surfedelic, you refering Cal buffer is it the same is Klawasser CACO2?

As right now i drip CACO2 to my tank? Since last night i dicover my KH so high and i stop dripping until i find solution to lower down my KH.

Haiz....marine stuff really headache :)

• SRC Member

thanks Weileong,

Guess, what i will do now is go to fish farm get a few packet sea water and change water. Then stop dripping Kalwasser. And see how is goes?

If this works....then i will post again and tell everyone how to bring down KH......