Pls share your commends on 14K MH bulbs

Eric

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

Looking for info regarding 14K MH bulbs. Pls state how long have you been using it, how was it compared to 10K or 20K & what's the effect on coral growth,colours and heat generated by the MH. Is it nescessary to supplement it with actinics or 6500k lights?

Thanks,

Eric

• SRC Member

i've upgraded from 2X150W to 1X250W(spider reflector) + 2X39W HO t5...or should i say downgrade...hehehe

using hamilton 14k bulb tat i got from deepblue...although a lot of pple say that 250W is extremely hot, i dun feel so...i feel that the heat generated from my 2X150W was even worse...i can maintain my temperature below 29C with only 2Xprofantic fan...when my MH are on,my tank temperature will not increase significantly, perhaps around 0.5C only...without MH on, my temperature is always below 28C...

when i was using the 2X150W, my tank temperature shoots up to JUST below 29C...sometimes even above 29C...but not now...

although i feel(comparison with my bare eyes) that the 14kk bulb is not as bright as 10kk bulbs, my corals(prata brain) at the bottom of my tank (2FT tall) seems to enjoy it better...but i also noticed that my clams are not growing as fast, which i prefer cos i dun want them to suck up my calcium...

with 10kk bulbs my tank look mainly BROWN and very very boring...but with the 14kk bulb, all my corals ignite with florescent(excuse my spelling) GREEN and shocking PINK...

i'm glad that i didn't get a 10kk bulb, and i will stick to 14kk from now on...

• SRC Member

I'm using just 01 X 250W 14KK Hamliton as well.

Looks just great without the need for actinic or other lightings. Just the nice balance of a crisp white with a tinge of blue

It's brighter than BLV (too blue), but not as bright as 10KK(too yellow).

Heat, so more or less same as any 250W MH. just have a fan blowing across the water surface

• SRC Member
I'm using just 01 X 250W 14KK Hamliton as well.

Looks just great without the need for actinic or other lightings. Just the nice balance of a crisp white with a tinge of blue

It's brighter than BLV (too blue), but not as bright as 10KK(too yellow).

Heat, so more or less same as any 250W MH. just have a fan blowing across the water surface

Found something on it:

Bright ice white blue appearance, full spectrum consisting primarily of high spikes in the 440-460 nanometer range with additional smaller spikes in 550, 590 and 690 nm range. Will bring out an attractive fluoresence from your fish and corals. Get desired actinic blue color effects without the need to add actinic blue fluorescents to your metal halide.

hope it helps

post-17-1096520692.gif

post-17-1096520692.gif

• SRC Member

Using 14K phoenix bulb 250 DE - I have to say the color looks great but the growth rate is different from various sps..

Take for instance my acro growth was noticeable but my orange monti was very slow ... i thought it was the other way round initially... and the acro was at the far side of my tank - not sure whether other had the same issue.

• SRC Member
Found something on it:

Bright ice white blue appearance, full spectrum consisting primarily of high spikes in the 440-460 nanometer range with additional smaller spikes in 550, 590 and 690 nm range. Will bring out an attractive fluoresence from your fish and corals. Get desired actinic blue color effects without the need to add actinic blue fluorescents to your metal halide.

hope it helps

Thats the info I need deepblue, thx !

Eric

• SRC Member
Found something on it:

hope it helps

This is the bulb I am looking for. Do you know where I can buy it?

(I'm currently using 1XMH but its not giving me the blue effect I wanted. Thought of adding blue actinic lights but it seems now that the review for this particular bulb is very good: I get both white and blue-effect lights with just 1XMH)

Review on Aquaconnect 14kk on RC looks good

Any idea where I can get those?

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

This is the bulb I am looking for. Do you know where I can buy it?

You can get it from our sponsor, EAN...I was using the Hamilton Tech 14kk SE bulbs.

Heard the Aquaconnect ones are not bad :lol:

Yeah was thinking of getting the ACs for my reef

But don't seem to find it anywhere :(

IMHO, u might wanna check out where and who produce the AC bulbs. juz that it may be marketed here under another brand........ juz like iwasaki bulbs to BLV in Germany.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

tot the lesser the Ks the better for the coral???

so.... for coral growth-wise.... 14kk definately will not be better than 10kk???

anyone care to correct me???

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

tot the lesser the Ks the better for the coral???

so.... for coral growth-wise.... 14kk definately will not be better than 10kk???

anyone care to correct me???

hi bro,

u r right. for coral growth wise, 6.5kk (high in PAR) will be the most appropriate follow up by 10kk. but for coloring up of sps, suggested color temp is to go for 20kk (Low in PAR). having 14kk or 12.5kk is sort of like having the best of both worlds.

juz me 2 cents

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

IMHO, u might wanna check out where and who produce the AC bulbs. juz that it may be marketed here under another brand........ juz like iwasaki bulbs to BLV in Germany.

Phoenix for us?

Hon did a review for us and if I'm not wrong, the AC bulb wrote "menufactured for aquaconnect"

Too bad the blue signboard no stock when I went there :(

• SRC Member

Oh yes.. AC bulb is print with the word "Manufactured for Aquaconnect"

Like I have mention, both pheonix and AC looks identical in physical outlook, even the details inside the bulb also the same. I have run both AC and Pheonix side by side in my tank for the past 9mths, both still have the same colour temp output. If you are nearby Punggol, give me a call, you are welcome to check them. :)

I mean check the bulbs and not my tank hor... too lazy to rectify my tank problem now... :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

read from somewhere in RC that Phoenix actually manufactures the 14,000Kelvin bulb for Aquaconnect? I just bought the Phoenix 14,000K bulb.. working very well.. nice colour..

Think Phoenix and Aquaconnect very well might be manufactured by the same company. and could be identical.. Just got my phoenix 14,000K from victron.

Live and Let Live

• 10 years later...