Newbie seeks advice

bemyself

Hi, new here but not really new to this hobby. Use to have a reef tank about 15 years ago but stop after a bad leak. Now retired and having more free time, would like to start again. Not sure how much been changed over the years. In the past, I engaged those so called pro to setup my everything from tank, equipment, coral, fish etc.... 

Now my questions are, since I'm retired, do you think I should engage pro to do this or should I look out for used at pasar malam to start off my hobby. Preferably a 3-4ft tank will be good. Apologise for the lengthy post. 

Regards

• SRC Member

Hi, first of all, welcome back to the hobby!Personally I feel like if you’re gonna get a 3-4ft system after a long time away from the hobby, it would be good to get a brand new setup with a leak warranty.

This way you avoid potential mishaps that might happen from getting a secondhand setup. Depending on your budget, a new 3-4ft custom system can cost anywhere between 1.2 and 5k.

Of course, if you’re on a budget, you can look for those who have recently decommissioned their setup and some even give their tanks away for free. Be aware though that the quality and condition of secondhand tanks varies a lot depending on how old the tank is, scratch marks, worn-out silicone, rusted hinges and whether it was previously used for fresh or saltwater; the glass thickness and whether there is eurobracing is very important for saltwater tanks.

That said, you can save a lot of money this way. I myself took over a worn-out 4x2.5x2.5ft system for free that I refurbished on my own on a budget. The system lasted for about 5years before the sump sprung a leak.

Some people have the unfortunate happen to them and even new tanks have a small chance of leaking in less than that time, so it’s still wise to weigh your options.

Hope this helps! And all the best :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, 

Your advice really helps. Yes, I thought of going all brand new but the expertise on setting up a tank for me is practically nil hence considering used. I checked a LHS and they quoted me around 4-6 K for a 3 ft tank without livestock. Not sure what equipments nor brand they use so I'm not sure is this a standard price. Thanks

• SRC Member

Do they include key equipments like a protein skimmer, return pump, lighting and potential wavemakers? If yes, 4-6k is a good deal.

I got a new setup earlier this year to replace my leaking system with exactly the same dimensions(4x2.5x2.5ft) for 2.5k. This was the minimum amount for a setup with these dimensions, not including equipment but inclusive of basic piping installation and a sump.

If you’re not sure with most of the equipment installation or aren’t interested in D.I.Y, I would opt for getting expert custom or ready-made tanks setup specifically to your needs. Some LFS will ask for your own specifications or whether you want it done for you as a package.

However, if you have a lot of time and the passion to learn more about the ins and outs of the hobby that includes the full set up of a system(tank setup, filtration equipment, aquascaping etc) other than the biology and chemistry of a reeftank(which everyone will have to learn on their own eventually), it is an enriching experience doing it on your own and with some help from the community, youtube and forums.

35 minutes ago, soggycookies said:

Do they include key equipments like a protein skimmer, return pump, lighting and potential wavemakers? If yes, 4-6k is a good deal.

I got a new setup earlier this year to replace my leaking system with exactly the same dimensions(4x2.5x2.5ft) for 2.5k. This was the minimum amount for a setup with these dimensions, not including equipment but inclusive of basic piping installation and a sump.

If you’re not sure with most of the equipment installation or aren’t interested in D.I.Y, I would opt for getting expert custom or ready-made tanks setup specifically to your needs. Some LFS will ask for your own specifications or whether you want it done for you as a package.

However, if you have a lot of time and the passion to learn more about the ins and outs of the hobby that includes the full set up of a system(tank setup, filtration equipment, aquascaping etc) other than the biology and chemistry of a reeftank(which everyone will have to learn on their own eventually), it is an enriching experience doing it on your own and with some help from the community, youtube and forums.

Hi, 

Your advice really helps. Yes, I thought of going all brand new but the expertise on setting up a tank for me is practically nil hence considering used. I checked a LHS and they quoted me around 4-6 K for a 3 ft tank without livestock. Not sure what equipments nor brand they use so I'm not sure is this a standard price. Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks once again. LHS did not states what equipment are included but told me 2 weeks should able to add fish. But I only know that the light alone costs 1k and most of his equipments are from.China. If convenience does allow, can you recommend any decent LHS that can do the job. You can PM or WhatsApp me at 84513489 if not convenient to post it here. I'm sorry for imposing so much problem on my first day here. Regards

• SRC Member
Hi, 
Your advice really helps. Yes, I thought of going all brand new but the expertise on setting up a tank for me is practically nil hence considering used. I checked a LHS and they quoted me around 4-6 K for a 3 ft tank without livestock. Not sure what equipments nor brand they use so I'm not sure is this a standard price. Thanks.
Hi,
Thanks once again. LHS did not states what equipment are included but told me 2 weeks should able to add fish. But I only know that the light alone costs 1k and most of his equipments are from.China. If convenience does allow, can you recommend any decent LHS that can do the job. You can PM or WhatsApp me at 84513489 if not convenient to post it here. I'm sorry for imposing so much problem on my first day here. Regards

It’s no problem at all! Happy to help.
I’ve sent you a pm