Is my skimmer working

rush_9

• SRC Member

1) skimmers do not skim ammonia, it skims dissolved organic compound...

2) IMO, weipro is quite a lousy piece of equipment...but for that price, its considered alright.

3) from the pic, your water level is too high...set it as recommended...there is a recommended water level on the skimmer body..

4) wat pump are u using? u might wanna get a stronger pump...the bubbles produced seems too little to produce good skimmate..

• SRC Member

Hi,

3) from the pic, your water level is too high...set it as recommended...there is a recommended water level on the skimmer body..

How do I control the water level. The damn box got no instructions.

As for the pump, the shop person recommended me thei Weipro 2000. I took his advise.

• SRC Member

there is a control valve on the overflow pipe( the pipe where the water exits the skimmer)...tune it from there

as for the pump, i think it is not good enough...i really cannot remember the recommended pump size...

to be very frank, if i were u, change the skimmer...y waste money on another pump?? save a little more and get a more decent skimmer...

i've tried weipro b4 found that it really sucks....so i went skimmerless for about 8mths, until now...hahahaha....now running my own RobSKim Mini 120/500...

but of cos when i dun have skimmer, i dun have fishes as well...my tank only had 2 fishes for about 7mths...until now....

skimmer is one of the most important equipment in a marine tank...if u are thinkin of using weipro, get the biggest unit u can afford...if not, to hell with weipro and get something else...i think macro needlewheel is quite reasonably priced and performs quite ok too...of cos, we cannot compare it to H&S and other european needlewheels...

oh yah, always take the words of a LFS owner (especially those smaller shops) with a pinch of salt...if u really want sincere advises, i only recommend our very own sponsors...they are very knowledgeable and helpful...always there to help when we need them....

• SRC Member

hmm... ur weipro went skimmerless for 8 months? something is wrong with ur skimmer... I'm using weipro 2012 for my 3 feet eel tank - only 3 eels in it... producing dark skimmate... dark brown... Used to be using weipro 2013 for my reef tank also(upgraded to macro JS350P) ... had no problems...many ppl who have used or are using weipro have not complained also... Golden tooth ran 2013 for his sps reef.. bwilly used to be running 2013 also... both ogf them and me have good results with it... I'm sure there are more.. Think most complains abt weipro skimmers are abt weipro 2011... dunno why but somehow 2011 seem to be unable to skim as well as the larger models...

hey neighbour, the bubble density in your skimmer seems alright... that means ur pump should be enuf.. adjust your water level to just below the lon neck in thecollection cup.. wait for it to break in. it takes some time for it to start foaming... sometimes hours sometimes days...when did u start runningthe skimmer? dun stick ur hand into the water too much..

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

open ur water outlet valve to the max and connect an air pump into the air intake. the bubbles produce should be below the narrow neck. if it is above, then ur pump too powerful liao and below... ur pump not powerful enough (this can be adjusted by closing the water outlet valve but not too much cos you want a high water volume turnover).

weipro is good for those with tight budget and i used 2 2012 on my 3x2x2 tank with lps and >6 tangs + few other fishes. nothing died in those few months. but sps sure die one hahaha speaking fr experience!

• SRC Member
hmm... ur weipro went skimmerless for 8 months? something is wrong with ur skimmer... I'm using weipro 2012 for my 3 feet eel tank - only 3 eels in it... producing dark skimmate... dark brown... Used to be using weipro 2013 for my reef tank also(upgraded to macro JS350P) ... had no problems...many ppl who have used or are using weipro have not complained also... Golden tooth ran 2013 for his sps reef.. bwilly used to be running 2013 also... both ogf them and me have good results with it... I'm sure there are more.. Think most complains abt weipro skimmers are abt weipro 2011... dunno why but somehow 2011 seem to be unable to skim as well as the larger models...

hey neighbour, the bubble density in your skimmer seems alright... that means ur pump should be enuf.. adjust your water level to just below the lon neck in thecollection cup.. wait for it to break in. it takes some time for it to start foaming... sometimes hours sometimes days...when did u start runningthe skimmer? dun stick ur hand into the water too much..

Typrobin said he went SKIMMERless (that means without a skimmer), not SKIMless (as you interpreted). ;)

• SRC Member

set ur water 5cm below ur collection cup and wait. If ur skimmer is new, it may take some time.. and u uses flash when u take the pic rite.. too much glare.. cant really see ur water level.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

hi, i'm using a 2011 and it is works "well" *. You may want to tune the outflow so that the like what untouchables said above, that the level is just above the neck-line... somewhere slightly higher than where the black rubber is.

It will also help if you can attached an air-flow tap at the inlet of the air tube to control the air flow.

I tuned the skimmer by looking at the bubbles produced after (using the outlet valve) adjusting the water level. The bubbles produced (and relative height) can be controlled using the air valve too. My pump is an external 1000 l/h whose the flow speed can also be adjusted. You don't want to have too fast a flow for the 2011 as the tube length is short and the reaction time is too little... you'll need to adjust the flow a little slow and the bubbles finer, you shouldn't be able to see inside upper half of the skimmer as the bubbles produced will opaque the internals.... sit back and just be patient. ; )

* fortunate enough to keep a collection of about 15 growing SPSes now, 4 fishes in a 3' tank.

Hi,

How do I control the water level. The damn box got no instructions.

As for the pump, the shop person recommended me thei Weipro 2000. I took his advise.

Please refer to Pic for the control valve.

post-7-1095836012.jpg

• SRC Member

My Weipro 2013 (with atman 105) was not skimming well until I added my MH light. Not it's skimming well. I get dirty cup every week with dark liquid. I suspect it is mainly micro algae that has prospered since the MH are on. As the micro algae use NO3 to grow, the NO3 level has been goin down too.

chselee, pls share what is your modification to the venturi?

I am sure it will benifit all Weipro users here :thanks:

Hi Limbssg ahkit81,

Please refer to pic for detail.

I drill the air tube connector till it provide me with the best

output. then fine tune the air input for fine bubbles.

The small litter thing at the side is what I added to the venturi.

post-7-1095950843.jpg

• SRC Member

Hi Limbssg ahkit81,

Please refer to pic for detail.

I drill the air tube connector till it provide me with the best

output. then fine tune the air input for fine bubbles.

The small litter thing at the side is what I added to the venturi.

Chim man.... :bow:

DUnno how u all can come up with this....

YOU HAVE MY RESPECT!!!

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy