Mantis in SPS tanks

IanJ

After 18 months i noticed a mantis shrimp in my tank. Surprised i had not really noticed it before. It looked a little on the large size, a multi coloured specimum.

I have not seen it for several months. Tonight i was placing a piece of epoxy over some bryopsis between a sps and the rock, when out of the blue a large pair of fists came out of the gap and wacked me on the finger nail. The shock was bad enough, yet alone the hammer like blow to the finger. The next 3 hours were spent stripping down half the tank, the search was in vain. There goes all the colours on the sps again

Battle lines have been drawn, its days are numbered, time to strike back

• SRC Member

Welcome to the world of wonder.

I believe you have not lose any LS yet.

I had one in my tank b4 about 2" big, when he attack like electronic shock. Bad thing.

I pin point which LR he was in ( took about 2 days )

On the day of WAR, I make sure he was in the LR ( just after feeding time, this guy come out to get food as well ).

Remove the rock immidately by closing the entrance with Chopstick.

Thann......

Hope your is more easy to catch.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

This is a really clever one. Its avoided being seen for so long. Apart from the attack, i have only seen it once. It seems to live somewhere deep in the rockwork.

Maybe i should have an invitation mantis hunt, all participants walk away with a handful of frags :D

• SRC Member

Haa Haa, Challenges :P want to take :P but lot of work bro, if your shrmip is deep in the rock in lower level of tank.

If no LS loss, than advise not to take him out.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
After 18 months i noticed a mantis shrimp in my tank. Surprised i had not really noticed it before. It looked a little on the large size, a multi coloured specimum.

I have not seen it for several months. Tonight i was placing a piece of epoxy over some bryopsis between a sps and the rock, when out of the blue a large pair of fists came out of the gap and wacked me on the finger nail. The shock was bad enough, yet alone the hammer like blow to the finger. The next 3 hours were spent stripping down half the tank, the search was in vain. There goes all the colours on the sps again

Battle lines have been drawn, its days are numbered, time to strike back

you lucky hand not swollen.....me had to see a doctor.... :angry:

but not tearing the tank and decide to let it be......until i can set up my new tank....then take out all the rocks, leave it to dry and if i get hold of it......haik...haik...haik... :evil:

• SRC Member

Me BAD LUCK,

Just saw new guy , but so small, no wonder keep hearing clicking noise and 1 of my Fire Shrimp gone MIA.

AGAIN.................

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

I caught mine after stripping down the whole tank. <_<

Luckily mine's only a 2feeter. Abt 2" long, i must have been blind to have missed it!

Anyway, casualties are 1 juv bi color angel, 1 six line wrasse, 1 cleaner shrimp, some renagade crabs that comes with the liverocks (can see shattered shells on the sand bed...) :cry:

I juz cut him up and feed it to my remaining fishes and corals... :D

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member

wow... you guys really got alot of adventure... I hope I don't get Mantis in my tank ... how do you check if there is a mantis??

... sure is tough to deal with... all the best for you...

• SRC Member

eat mantis shrimps?

eeks...i not so daring to try..

i used hot water from my shower head to try and lure it out mah..but it got boiled deep in the rock crevices..

had to smash the LR open to ensure its dead..

after that then i smashed in flat before throwing it away..

documented the pics in my thread ah..the hideous creature..

greedy pig lah...went for a chunk of ML's receipe..thats how i know of its existence..