lazy clown or just its character?

hi all,

I have a true clown. It keeps staying at the left top side of the tank and doesn swim down or anywhere.. when i feed it. It doesn chase or go for the food.. instead waits for it to come near it then go eat.. :angry:

is this normal?

Err.. i also hav a golden watchman goby and a cleaner shrimp...

btw i saw poo coming out from the clown.. its white. normal?

water parameters all within limits..

• SRC Member

was it not very active in the shop where u bought it? maybt it's something it has been suffering from for a long time... and white poo?! :unsure: never seen before..

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

hai it just doesnt want to put in effort to go find food... always hang around on top there. must wait for the food to flow near it then it will go eat.. :cry:

i tried catching it put in a transprent container and feed it but it refuse to eat!

:cry:

anybody got any idea how to make the fish eat? I got pellets 2 but seems like it never touches them... eat then spit out again.. :angry: expensive leh tt food.. kao

• SRC Member

expensive dosen't mean the fish would eat mah.. u'll have to find the right food for it that the fish likes.. my fish have been eating a 70 cent blue packaging food with chinese words for close to 2 years... :rolleyes:

but in your case i think it's the fish.. give it more time see if it starts to swim.. when did u buy it?

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

I got the same experince when i bought a true clown last few months ago from my local FS(dont want to mention) in Tampines area. Same white long thin stuff coming out from its ######. Refusing to eat anything :unsure: Then it die a few days after that. Came back to the shop, ask the guy and gave me reasons that confuse me. That is is first time a bought a fish from him and its going to be the last :angry:

IMO, I think strongly that the fish was poisoned. CYANIDE.

So Sorry about your clown,man....

• SRC Member

Sometimes, white poo is an indication of cyanide-poisoned fish.

The more they eat, the earlier they will reach fish kingdom. As their bladders are damaged and there is nothing to aid digestion so the toxics build up in them. :(

Arrange for his funeral but yet I hope I'm wrong and wish for a miracle. :angel:

The more they eat, the earlier they will reach fish kingdom. As their bladders are damaged and there is nothing to aid digestion so the toxics build up in them. :(

I think you're referring to the liver and kidney :P

• SRC Member

heehee...then not bladder lah...me bad w fish anatomy... :paiseh:

but the logic is like this... :P

I thought toxics are stored in the bladder and they pass out like urine... :P

I read somewhere some time ago but just forgot which part to part... :P:paiseh:

Arrange for his funeral but yet I hope I'm wrong and wish for a miracle. :angel:

yeah white poo can also sometime meant other problems... It could be due to some internal bacteria.. treatment for marine fish is seldom heard off

Clownfish esp true or false perculas take time to settle down. My true percula pair last time did the same thing for 1-2 days before behaving normally. Clownfishes are one of the few fish that don't really ship well and might need time to acclimatize to new surroundings.

If its not interested in food there is no point flooding the food with water as it will only deteriorate your water quality. So in the end the fish might die due to declining water conditions.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Hey dont know if this would help of apply to yur case. <_<

Bought a pair of false clown some time back, first 3-4 days refuse to eat

at all.

keep hidding in the back corner swimming up and down the glass.

Then gat slighty better, start eating but still keep going to the back till i bought them an anemone. :lol:

Now they are protecting the anemone as its territory,

haha. Eating like pigs now. Always belly round round. :eyebrow:

Dunno if theres any differences between the true and false, but i prob think that they need some time to adapt lah. :ph34r:

Good luck dude!!!

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member

clownfishes r territorial in nature... stay ard their host anemone in nature... hence, it is not surprising to see ur clown stay in a corner.... somemore in a new environment

white poo doesnt mean cyanide poisoning... considering clownfishes r so much easier to hand catch than other species....

someone mentioned getting anemone... it can help too if the anemone is compatible, thus helping the fish to establish its safety region... however, anemone generally need strong lights n gd water quality to maintain them in the long run.... therefore, it;s not always a gd idea to get anemone to see it die in the end.... therefore, u can get anemone-like corals... examples r toadstool leather, hairy mushroom, sometimes even hammer, frogspawn ;)

clown still alive and staying in his spot..

got a foxface the other day 2.

today :shock: , goby is dead! :cry::cry: Dont know why also.. suddenly in the morning he's like swimming up and down the right side of tank... then evening he up lorry. any ideas? He was eating as normal.. v hungry goby also.. :cry2:

I've checked my parameters... all ok. Kinda lots of algae now but the foxface is busy rationing himself to a feast.

here's what i have in there now..

1 clown

1 foxface

1 cleaner shrimp

1 anemone

2 snails