Dripping Of Kalk For A 2 Feet Tank

dottyback

• SRC Member

Kalkwasser has a pH of about 12.4, naturally if you drip it fast, the pH of the tank will shoot sky high! If you are dripping a lot of kalk, the only worry is depletion of magnesium but that is over a long period of time without water change.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Have start dripping kalk ,since mine is a two feet tank some ppl think it is a nano and is not advicable to drip kalk but there are ppl that think other wise ,hope think wokout

have bought DT live photopython too ,drip 10 drop for my 2 feet tank with leather and 2 branch of LPS ,Any comment :thanks:

The theory of dosing kalk is two fold - adding calcium AND topping up water.

If you have very little evaporation, your salinity will drop if you keep dosing kalk. In a small tank, with quick increases in PH and changes in salinity, you may stress and kill your reef inhabitants.

Kalk dosing in small tanks should be matched with quicker evaporation rates using a fan.

Also, that also depends on what you are keeping. If you are keeping softies as opposed to clams and sps, you may not even have that much of a calcium reduction to warrant kalk dosing.

My evaporation is about 2 liter per day as i'm using a fan to cool my tank ,i do have a few bracnch of LPS and a bubble in my tank, seem like the coraline growth and the LPS growth is not that good some branch is even gone after 1 and a half year old marine tank that why i start to try dosing Kalk , i know that it my fault not to measure the calsium b4 dosing it

One BIG question in my head all these while , with kalk having a ph ard 12 after it have drip into the tank , it will raise the ph by a tiny tiny bit rite? ,what will make the ph go down after a while?? or maybe along while :thanks:

takes alittle bit of playing around and knowing your tank well...started with a 2 feet myself..like what they said, u gotta match the evaporation rate with the rate your add the solution into your tank...and also watch your PH...maybe u can try dripping them at night..coz PH tends to drop at night once your lights are out...so the addition will not cause too much of an increase...might even remain at the same level as it was when the lights are on...takes some playing ard and experimenting i guess..

"Save a reef, grow your own"

One BIG question in my head all these while , with kalk having a ph ard 12 after it have drip into the tank , it will raise the ph by a tiny tiny bit rite? ,what will make the ph go down after a while?? or maybe along while :thanks:

Depends on drip rate vs tank volume.

Only way is to use a PH monitor to test the fluctuations.